EIWT VOR

This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

OnTheNumbers
Verified User
Verified User

EIWT VOR

Post by OnTheNumbers »

I see the VOR installation going ahead in Weston. Does anyone know whether it's been approved for use yet?

FireFoxDown
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by FireFoxDown »

I have to say when is saw the info on the new VOR/DME on www.westonairport.com I had to laugh! Its one of those rumours we've been hearing past couple of years . . . Are they still telling people that Weston wont be used for comercial ops or more likely, just "no commenting" it! ;) And the taxiway-that-is-bigger-that-the-runway ... any ideas? someone said parallel rwy's but that makes little sense(if any) ...

I have to say my favourite rumour is that the runyway(now, we're talking about the rwy people, not the longer, wider taxiway) was actually extended with the usual lack of planning permission and then covered over with dirt and buried! :wink: well, check this out -> http://www.westonairport.com/westonfromwest_bg.jpg

mrbungle
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by mrbungle »

Funny, that, if you fly today over Weston, you'll see a circular foundation, North of the the 'north taxi-way'.
This is supposed to be the VOR site. It's been under consturction for the last few weeks.

FireFoxDown
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by FireFoxDown »

so, what next do you think? Airspace reclassification?

Cosmic
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Cosmic »

FFD, Its supposedly been given the "Nod",Verbal confirmation,
and will be announced soon. Or so the rumour goes...

I think the VOR they are installing is a Doppler VOR.
This circular structure you see is not the foundation but
the Transmitter itself. It works on a slightly different
principle but will work with existing VOR recievers in the
cockpit.

Like this:

As opposed to this:

mikekilo
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by mikekilo »

anybody know what the difference is between a Doppler VOR and the other VOR type(s) that are in use? Presume it has some advantages over earlier VOR types/designs?

Cosmic
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Cosmic »

I thought I would get away with just that RomeoMike! In truth I couldn't remember myself so I dug out the books and had a look.

The short answer is VOR transmitters should be sited on flat terrain to minimize site errors. The alternative is a Doppler VOR (DVOR) beacon and produces a signal which is reasonably free of site errors even when the transmitter is sited in and or close to Hilly Terrain.Site Errors include but are not limited to Buildings, Obstacles, Trees or uneven ground in the vicinity.

The long answer is much much longer. It involves a bit of radio navigation theory. The above are the salient points. If you want me to go further into I can.

Edit: Found thishttp://www.trevord.com/navaids/#OPS You asked for it!

mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mark »

Hi all,

Here's a picture of the VOR at Weston taken from the left downwind of 07. It was taken last Saturday from G-OSPS. Thanks to Capt. Paddy Morrissey for taking me for a spin!

[img]http://www.flyinginireland.com\/upload_files/EIWT_VOR.jpg[/img]

Regards,
Mark

Bearcat
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Bearcat »

the big question is...........what is the IAA going to grant with the installation of a vor at weston. .......from the size of it it certainly doesnt look like a terminal vor. if instrument approaches are set up surely weston will have to become part of the dub control zone. does this mean then all flights out side the circuit must have a plan? hopefully the iaa will have the foresight to have a vfr corridor set up more or less what the position is now.

localiser
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by localiser »

Did you not notice the new Dublin Area VFR chart issued in the AIP some months back which designated Weston as Class C? This was subsequently revised/withdrawn, but is probably a foretaste of plans afoot.

On a point of information, I notice from the picture that the VOR is quite offset from the runway(s). So would someone care to elaborate on what an instrument approach using such a VOR/DME might consist of?

mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mark »

localiser,

Is the VOR/DME at Baldonnel not the same distance from the runway as at Weston? They use VOR/DME approaches to all four runways there...

Regards,
Mark

FLYbyWIT
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by FLYbyWIT »

A VOR or an NDB or VOR/DME or NDB/DME etc etc are NON-PRECISION approaches so whether its offset slightly and actually in some cases not even within the airfield boundary matters nothing at all. The purpose of the beacon on a non-precision approach is guide the a/c laterally and vertically down to your MDA (minimum descent altitude), persuming you have tracked accurately and followed the profile you will arrive at this MDA at which point if visual with the runway you will land- if not you will go around.With some approaches when you reach mda and plan to land you can have quite a significant offset heading to adjust to get on centreline,if you become unstable or unhappy about it you go around. The non precision approach minimums i.e the mda will gennerally be higher then the DA i.e Decision Altitude on a Precision Approach like an ILS
In short the VOR DME approach when publisehed for weston will guide a/c down to a specific height and lateral point on approach ONLY,After which you must be visual to continue, it would probably be around 700ft agl.

TolTol
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by TolTol »

Hi guys, just wondering if the new VOR is up and running yet? Also, planning on taking a trip into Weston soon for the first time. Any advice or tips? I shall be coming from the south and know of all the arrival procedures.

Biturbo
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Biturbo »

Don't forget to bring your wallet and a hi-viz vest.

FireFoxDown
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by FireFoxDown »

Well, first would suggest you take a look at www.westonairport.ie. Also give them a call. If approaching from the west its the usual to be at 1450' on the QNH north of Maynooth and give them a call - they will advise rwy in use, pattern etc.