kilkenny
  • abbeyleix
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

kilkenny

by abbeyleix » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:17 pm

lads,

what is the story with Kilkenny, its falling down around their ankles, i was there during the week and it could be shut for any number of safety reasons!!!! its a great place but does anyone run it anymore? i heard of this CAP thing and i thought great! a professional outfit. NOT!!!!! is it being shut down on purpose?

cheers

AB
  • Flyer1
    Verified User
    Verified User

by Flyer1 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:18 pm

I don't mean to offend you, but what are you on ?

Kilkenny is a favourite spot of mine for flying. You're not hounded for landing fee's, there's no BS.

I think this is one Mark should close up.
  • abbeyleix
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by abbeyleix » Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:30 pm

your not offending me buddy, we're all well over 18 here....
    well there is no bs but i would rather have bs and windsocks than nothing at all... and the tonnes of what ever in the car park? now like i said i was there at the start of the week, maybe it got better....
  • Flyer1
    Verified User
    Verified User

by Flyer1 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:35 pm

From what i've heard from a few folks who are based out of KK.

The main windsock is down for re-location. I was there last weekend and they had a backup windsock up.

The gravel is for improvements on the airfield.
  • Bearcat
    Verified User
    Verified User

by Bearcat » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:04 pm

AB your post is way out of order on this forum. We are a small community. If you find the airfield unsuitable to your flying needs and ability, I suggest you fly elsewhere like EIWT and EICK that have facilities that will more than cater to your whims.
  • jonkil
    Verified User
    Verified User

by jonkil » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:31 pm

I for one cannot see a problem in Kilkenny. If you want a couple thousand yards of tarmac and a few restaurants, why don't you try Shannon, I hear it meets that niche quite well !!
    I am a regular visitor to Kilkenny,I choose to go there from the other side of the country, in fact I overnighted there on Saturday and call in regularly. I visit the majority of airfields in Ireland and I can state that Kilkenny is one of the friendliest bunch of guys around, who go out of their way to assist a visiting pilot.
    Yes, it is a small privately run airfield, funded in most part by private individuals, it is what it is, a descent well kept grass airfield that doesn't dress itself up as anything else, set in a fantastic location with a great town, and resident pilots/owners operators that take their time to welcome a visitor and make them feel welcome and wanted, long may that continue.
    Yes Kilkenny is under new management as far as I know, it takes time for things to happen and no doubt in time things will happen and changes made, but until then the facility is just fine.
    You have just registered as a new user on this forum, You have made a great start !! an attack on a facility that you don't seem to know..... or do you, is there a hidden agenda with your comments ?
    Constructive criticism is one thing, an attack is quite another.

Jon
  • captain slow
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by captain slow » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:45 pm

i Was there about 10 days ago and i thought it was fine. Good dry field if a little bit bumpy in parts,it had a fine working winsock that was easily visible from 2000ft and a very warm welcome. I hadnt been there in about 5 years but like i said the physical aspects of the plce were fine and the welcome was truly warm and friendly-in fact its a place i intend to head for more often. yes there is gravel in the car park but i imagine any airfield has 100 potentila uses for it.

I cant help thinking there might be a hidden agenda to the OP post especially as eikk has had a new owner recently.
  • Pilot
    Verified User
    Verified User

by Pilot » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:31 pm

I cant help thinking there might be a hidden agenda to the OP post especially as eikk has had a new owner recently.

The same thought crossed my mind.

I don't visit Kilkenny that often, but when I did, I was always made to feel welcome.

The post doesn't mention anything very negative but complains a lot.
    No mention of any safety issues, but says KK could be shut down on safety grounds. If you want to make such a claim, you'd better be prepared to say why.

As for what's in the car park....well most people couldn't care less. We fly in and fly out, and have little reason to be bothered by the car park.

As for a windsock missing, well that is unusual. But if you'd phoned ahead for PPR then you should have known about that. As someone else said, there was a tempory windsock in place. If that's correct, then the windsock is a complete non issue.

You make say a lot of negative things, but don't say why you feel so negative.

Can't help but agree with Captain Slow, and think there is an agenda at work.
  • hugoj_air
    Verified User
    Verified User

by hugoj_air » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:42 pm

We have seen this before. Another coward hiding behind anonymity,
    in order to have a go.
    The initials "AB" are meaningless without contact info.

Hugo.
  • OSCAR BRAVO
    Verified User
    Verified User

by OSCAR BRAVO » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:45 pm

i agree with the rest of the lads,flyer1,bearcat,jonkil,captin slow(nice comments) and pilot. kilkenny is fine,no problems at all there. always something suspicious about a person joining the board and putting up a silly comment the same day!
    hum
    Verified User
    Verified User

Name Names

by hum » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:42 am

Who are you abbeyleix?
  • Nanolight
    Verified User
    Verified User

by Nanolight » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:46 am

Been out at the EIKL at least 2 times a week for the last number of years. I have yet to see it without a windsock. The gravel is to be used for drainage, where did you want them to dump it, on the runway?
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • mr crow
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by mr crow » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:55 am

Last edited by mr crow on Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
  • CyriltheSquirrel
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

Kilkenny

by CyriltheSquirrel » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:15 pm

Indeed, as they say in show biz, a hard act to follow. As most know Kilkenny Airfield changed hands in December. And to be fair to all, ton's of hard work is being put into the airfield. On any given w/e you'll be hard pressed not to find a cup of tea on the boil, a biscuit and a few heads eulogising about hoarfrost, the price of Avgas and Sally OBrien and the way she might look at ye. There are now 3 active flying clubs on the field, Vinnie and Irish Aero Sports, KKFG with their Tecnam and Rallye and Recreational Flying operating the TB9.

Progress is being made on the operation of Kilkenny Airfield, obviously with such a wet winter things have been slower, however, the runway has dried out nicely, no doubt it'll be drained in the near future and facilities will continue to improve.

The "newer folks" in Kilkenny are all working hard together to improve the facilities for everyone's benefit and please god as time passes you'll find Kilkenny to be one of the best spots in the country to visit both in terms of our hospitality and the ability to handle visitors. The new owner of the airport is an aviator to the finger tips, and generally a decent fellow. I'm not writing this on his behalf but entirely for those who have not visited in recent times.

The a/c on the field are finally operating in unison and I beleive 5/6 of them hope to make the hop to Knock in early May.

In the spirit of friendship, some of our northern visitors were more than helpful recently and to the two - you know who you are!!! a big thanks.

So folks, I beleive aviation in KK will continue to "fly"? or get better or simply we'll have more fun!

Cheerio

CyriltheSquirrel.
  • ptawse
    Verified User
    Verified User

Comments about Kilkenny

by ptawse » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:47 pm

Thanks to everyone for their support of Kilkenny airfield. It is open to visitors subject to the usual PPR. I can also confirm that there is a windsock. If 'Abbeyleix' has safety issues with regard to Kilkenny, I would greatly appreciate if s/he would contact me to discuss. We have no problem with constructive criticism. Look forward to seeing as many visitors on the 24th May at our fly-in. Special attraction will be a collection of Classic cars.