Any interest in FAA flight reviews

This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

on yer six
Unverified User
Unverified User

Any interest in FAA flight reviews

Post by on yer six »

Experienced FAA instructor offering flight reviews, instrument checks and the like.

I am just seeing if how much interest there would be in offering my services to anyone needing some FAA instruction via this board.

Need to renew my medical but my instructor rating is current.

Will charge next to nothing depending on the location. Currently in Cork but will travel anywhere in the Republic, or you can fly down to me.

Just putting this out there to see if it's worth my time.
:D

CVR
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by CVR »

FIXEDWING OR HELI :?:
FLY SAFE AND ENJOY

on yer six
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by on yer six »

fixed wing, single engine , multi and instrument

Biturbo
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Biturbo »

I think you'll find some interest, but probably not a lot.

I normally have my BFR done in Delaware when I'm over on business, but getting it done here is handier. One appointment every two years won't make you rich though!

Cosmic
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Cosmic »

On-yer-six, I understand your enthusiasm but offering to fly for "next to nothing" is very unfair on yourself and other instructors out there. You have worked hard for those ratings, and paid a lot of money for them. A fair days pay for a fair days work. You owe it to yourself.

shrtfld
Verified User
Verified User

FAA BFR's

Post by shrtfld »

I agree with Cosmic. Fair reward.

As Biturbo says if one can do it here rather than planning a trip to the USA, it would be much handier and probably more cost effective. It is certainly an option in which I would have an interest although next BFR is not till July '06. A lot of airmiles before then - I hope!

I note an advert in Wings advertsing FAA BFR's on ones own a/c or on Grobs out of Weston. There could be some healthy competition out there.

BTW - something I must check up on and perhaps someone here will confirm. How far ahead of the BFR renewal date can one take the BFR? Having done it earlier, is the next review two years from the original date or from the date of the new BFR? Something I probably should know but have not needed to know just yet.
Shrtfld

on yer six
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by on yer six »

The offer is out there anyway. Just love to fly, espicailly for free every now and then. Wasn't really trying to step on toes. If there are established people out there then that's great. Was doing it to make a few friends and have a laugh. Have 1700 hours already, could care less about the time or the money. But hey if you want to give me a few quid and a few pints. There ya go.

Biturbo
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Biturbo »

BFR validity runs for two years from date of issue. You can get a fresh one every week if you like checkrides that much. I get mine done every year or so because the timing of my visits to the US is erratic and I never know when or if I'll be back.

soarer
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by soarer »

HI on-yer-six

A bit of history on the company offering BFR's out of Weston. I approached them last year and was told I had to complete a couple of hours with an instructor prior to sitting the BFR seeing as I had no experience in flying a Grob 115. No account was taken that I normally flew about 80 hours a year on a more complex glass fibre aircraft!! Interestingly the previous time I did the BFR with the company I was put into a Trinadad of which I had no experience and had not flown spam cans for over 10 years!! In the end I hired a Cherokee from Waterford Aero, did a check ride with their instructor, flew the aircraft to Cork, completed the BFR and flew back to Waterford all for less than the process proposed by the Weston Company.

On-yer-six - I'll need a check ride in July 2005 and will probably supply my own aircraft if you are still around. I'll also stand you a good meal if you are not interested in hard cash.

on yer six
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by on yer six »

Soarer,

Ya, sometimes it just works out that way.
The BFR is not a test it doesn't matter how many hours on a type you have. If it is SE than fine as long as it's a single. Doesn't really matter as long as the instructor feels your up to par. The FAR's dictate the requirments the rest is up to your instructor. Are you flying something in Ireland now, hint hint, will pay for fuel. Drop me a PM if you need another set of eyeballs.

Cheers,
JC

MCRO
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by MCRO »

What is the point of an ordinary guy llike me doing an FAA BFR here?

Cant use the licence here until I have a Class I Medical

(Read the Supplement to Annex 1 for USA)

Maurice

Lionel Hutz
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Lionel Hutz »

Class 2 medical is OK Maurice. as per AIC Nr 11/04.

paragraph 3.1 The holder pf a PPL( aeroplane or helicopter), issued in accordance with ICAO annex 1 and holding at least a Class 1 or Class 2 Medical Certificate is automatically validated for the exercise of PPL privilages and associated aircraft ratings within the State on an Aircraft used in the private Category.

The Medical Exam for a FAA Class 2 is almost identical to the FAA Class 3 medical so you should have no problems.

I am currently flying using this Automatic validation and purely for ass covering purposes I also hold a JAR Class 2.

Dr Kileen can give you both at the same time.

Bluebeard
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Bluebeard »

FAA licence holders who (like myself) have been getting BFRs in the US might like to read the new security screening requirements introduced on October 20 by the Transportation Security Administration. At the last minute it was clarified that "training" does not include BFRs for the time being. Also implementation for existing licence holders has been deferred to 20 December. After that time all pilots getting any light aircraft training will have to register with the TSA. It appears this will apply to training for any FAA rating etc whether in Dublin, Ohio or Dublin, Ireland.

On-yer-six may need to save up for a fingerprint kit and a camera!

MCRO
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by MCRO »

But Lionel, Sir

I doubt me if AIC 11/04 helps

FAA PPL's are not 'Isued in Accordance with ICAO Annex 1 - for a plethora of reasons, the most obvious that they fall at ICAO 1.2.1 - as below

1.2.1 Authority to act as a flight crew member

A person shall not act as a flight crew member of an aircraft
unless a valid licence is held showing compliance with the
specifications of this Annex

I think it s also clear that the Class 1 ad Class 2 Medicals referred to in 11/04 are those of ICAO

Maurice

Lionel Hutz
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Lionel Hutz »

FAA PPL's are issued in accordance with ICAO.

All US pilot certificates are issued in accordance with ICAO unless it is endorsed on the certificate 'Not valid for flight outside the United States of America'

The only notable exceptions are the recreational pilot licence and the soon to be available sport pilot licence.

Both are sub ICAO and endorsed accordingly.

From AOPA USA

http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/regulatory ... chart.html