Page 1 of 2

Salthill Airshow?

Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:52 am
by robfahy
Does anyone know if there'll be a Salthill Airshow this year?
I see from the official Volvo Ocean Race Galway programme that the Red Arrows Display will be at 12 noon on Sat 30th May...
http://www.letsdoitgalway.com/uplds/bro ... inal_4.pdf

There will then be an in-port race for the yachts at 1pm.
I know from previous years the airshow would normally start at 3pm with the Red Arrows finale at 5pm.
They'll hardly have an airshow starting at 10am.
I also see that the Irish Coast Guard is doing a display in Salthill on the 29th.
It looks to me like it'll just be the Red Arrows on the 30th.

Rob.

Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:47 pm
by kilo delta
No airshow this year..the anti war protesters stopped them. :evil:

Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:14 pm
by vanman
No they didn't, they don't have that much influence. They are a tiny little group with little support in Galway despite their high opinion of themselves. What stopped it is the lukewarm attitude of the local council and businesses despite all the money they gained from the huge attendance. An all too typical Galway mentality, :roll: I'm afraid. It was costing too much to stage and very little sponsorship or help was forthcoming. Contrast it with the fuss over the Volvo boat race which only has five competitors but seem to have massive sponsorship and support from the local worthies eager to clean up that weekend.

Meanwhile, other more progressive towns are beginning to step in and consider airshows. Galway's loss.

I think, but I don't know that the Red Arrows were invited with help from the airshow committee. They haven't gone away.

As far as I know someone who posts here is close to the scene and may tell us more.

Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:20 pm
by Warthog
vanman wrote:I think, but I don't know that the Red Arrows were invited with help from the airshow committee.


They were.


vanman wrote:They haven't gone away.
Shhhh

vanman wrote:As far as I know someone who posts here is close to the scene and may tell us more.


I can when im allowed to post! :-)


[/quote]

Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:30 pm
by DonalMW
I can when im allowed to post!


Who's stopping you ? ? ? ? ?

Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:12 pm
by ifty
JUst a note to say anyone can ask the reds to perform but there are a few catches, the main one being that it benefits the RAF. We used to get them to come by our gliding place in Scotland as there was Air Cadets there.

Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:09 am
by vanman
Well there are no recruitment benefits for the RAF displaying in Galway given that we are not exactly British. So there must be some other reason. Warthog's connections must be pretty strong. The Reds always got a great reaction in Salthill. I remember the crowd in Salthill deliberately drowning out the protestors when the Red Arrows performed one year. The GAAW bunch would shout 'shame' and the crowd in their vicinity would cheer excessively loudly at each pass. Eventually the GAAW lot moved away to escape the abuse they were getting.

Everyone loves the Red Arrows.

Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:51 am
by inverted
It would be great to see the Red Arrows back in Salthill.
The anti war protesters are up there with tree huggers, hippys and those ar*eholes called plane stupid, the best recourse is to just ignore them.......give them a few years they'll be trying to ban christmas...muppets....!!!

Anti War Protesters = AWP = Ar*eholes With Placards.

Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:28 pm
by Warthog
DonalMW wrote:
I can when im allowed to post!


Who's stopping you ? ? ? ? ?


Still have to yet announce another act thats why. All in good time.

Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:29 pm
by Warthog
inverted wrote:It would be great to see the Red Arrows back in Salthill.


Well they are coming. :D

Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:32 pm
by trackerman
30th of may isn't it? To coincide with the Volvo Ocean Race. I think there will be an airshow in clifden this year, how big, I don't know. Its the 90th or 100th anniversary of hitchcock and brown or something.

Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:55 pm
by Hornet
This might get your attention.... http://www.salthillairshow.com/ Watch this space?????? :shock:

Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:29 pm
by trackerman
Hornet wrote:This might get your attention.... http://www.salthillairshow.com/ Watch this space?????? :shock:


Thanks for sharing, sounds like theres work going on behind the scenes alright! Wohoo! :D

I just made this poll - show your support or opposition to the airshow here

Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:34 pm
by Nanolight
trackerman wrote: Its the 90th or 100th anniversary of hitchcock and brown or something.

Yes, Alfred Hitchcock and Gordon Brown, first to cross the atlantic faster than sound at Kitty Hawk in the Spirit of Saint Louis, if my memory serves me correctly. Single handedly won us the war of independance, it did.

Apparently the Clifden show will be devoid of militaria due to some local nobody councellor cow-towing to a loud mouthed plane hating minority, or so it would seem.

Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:35 am
by ifty
vanman wrote:Well there are no recruitment benefits for the RAF displaying in Galway given that we are not exactly British. So there must be some other reason. Warthog's connections must be pretty strong. The Reds always got a great reaction in Salthill. I remember the crowd in Salthill deliberately drowning out the protestors when the Red Arrows performed one year. The GAAW bunch would shout 'shame' and the crowd in their vicinity would cheer excessively loudly at each pass. Eventually the GAAW lot moved away to escape the abuse they were getting.

Everyone loves the Red Arrows.


who said anything about recruitment? and anyway the nationality rules state that if you are from the UK, Commonwealth or Republic of Ireland, you CAN join the RAF.

See this for details. Clickey