The price of Hangarage
  • Bearcat
    Verified User
    Verified User

The price of Hangarage

by Bearcat » Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:20 pm

my friends in the states think we pay through the roof for hangarage here for small GA machines.....is this a fair statement. 1200 bucks to hangar a cub over there.
  • lazza
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by lazza » Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:58 pm

methinks you're mis-informed,
    I pay 1,400 for uncluttered hangerage in kilrush with no extra charges for landings, cheapest fuel in the country, dispensed from a modern fueling unit, two runways, one tarmac, etc etc. pfa type like cubs are 1,000 for the year.

waterford is about 900 as far as im aware, and thats a field with ATC, ILS, ADF & DME.

Of course,
    then there's Weston!

Laz
  • Bearcat
    Verified User
    Verified User

by Bearcat » Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:07 pm

thanks for that ...weston is 3000 and going upwards for a cub!! you have me thinking!!
  • RickL
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by RickL » Sat Oct 16, 2004 10:56 am

Weston is 20 minutes from the city centre, it's costs are higher, it's making investment. You don't compare the price of renting a house in ballsbridge to the price of renting one in Crossmalina now do you?

Like with like guys.
  • OnTheNumbers
    Verified User
    Verified User

by OnTheNumbers » Mon Oct 18, 2004 9:42 am

hangar 5000, tarmac 3000, grass 2000 at Weston
  • lazza
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by lazza » Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:19 pm

not too bad considering the location, by a whole heap of flying for the 3,5 grand in the difference though!
  • Biturbo
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by Biturbo » Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:16 am

To be fair, you're paying for more than hangarage.

As previously pointed out, location is a big factor. The alternative use of the land at Weston is residential housing (and we all know how costly that is these days). The alternative use of the land at Kilrush is agricultural. So Weston costs more to use.

Lest we start a sampede of Cub owners in the general direction of Athy, let's not forget the other factors which make Kilrush different:
    1. It's not a licensed public field, so no flight training can be undertaken there.
    2. The neighbours are noise sensitive so circuits are verboten even if you have a licence.
    3. Particular neighbours are very noise sensitive, so the pattern is tight and complicated. Yes, you're expected to know it and follow it. There's a map and sign-off sheet in the control tower.
    4. It has half a tarmac runway (although it gets a little bit longer every year - Good man, Ian!) and the rest is grass. It is sometimes unusable in the depths of winter due to waterlogging. I never had to wash mud off the underside of a C.150 in Weston - if you have the viz, you can go flying as it's a hard surface.
    5. You can't get refreshments onsite - although there is a decorative pond and barbeque area beside the brown hangars if you thought to bring your food with you.

Personally speaking I prefer it to Weston because it suits my needs much better, even if it is further from my house. This won't be true of everybody and you should decide based on what qualities you're buying as well as the price you're paying.
  • Bearcat
    Verified User
    Verified User

by Bearcat » Tue Oct 19, 2004 4:35 pm

biturbo, you are talking clap re no circuits at kilrush....circuits are permitted but one has to be sensitive towards the neighbouring farms and they are spelt out. the sensitive neighbours have even visited kilrush to see what I V has done to readdress people doing boeing 5 mile finals.....as for the tricky hair raising procedures for circuits another loads of hot air...... cant keep circuit tight? well one should nt be there if one cant preform basic standard PPL handling exercises.
    you have some valid points but dont hang your neck out for weston....there are pro's and cons for all sides. :lol: :lol: :lol:
  • Lambada Crazy
    Verified User
    Verified User

Waterford

by Lambada Crazy » Sun Dec 12, 2004 8:12 pm

In my opinion Waterford is a great place;

Quiet Airfield but not too Quiet.
    1433ft of runway
    Avgas and jet A1
    DME/ILS/PAPI/ADF/ATC(Not Permanent)
    5 minutes from local beach.
    10 Minutes from WATERFORD CITY!!!
    Quite Road in and out, Never any traffic.
    Fire Crew.
    Modern fuel pumps. (Not Self Service)
    Cheap!!!!!!!!
    Aero Club With Instruction Mon-Sun
    When a flight is proceeding incredibly well, something was forgotten.
  • Flyer1
    Verified User
    Verified User

by Flyer1 » Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:12 pm

ehe hold yer horses now Lambada.

Waterford is 1433M not foot. I'd like to see an ATR-72 coming in on 1433ft

ATC will be becoming active during all opening hours in the coming weeks.

You can even do your ATPL's and CPL at Waterford thanks to the Pilot Training college of Ireland ( www.ptc.ie ) . Then you have your PPL training of course at Waterford Aero Club. You can fly at night within the zone.
  • Nanolight
    Verified User
    Verified User

by Nanolight » Mon Dec 26, 2005 11:32 am

How much would it cost to hangar a microlight in Cork? Is this even possible? Is there recreational flying from cork?
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Flyer1
    Verified User
    Verified User

by Flyer1 » Mon Dec 26, 2005 12:05 pm

Emm, as far as I know there's no hangarage available in cork, it's all outside on the hard standing.
  • Frosty
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by Frosty » Mon Dec 26, 2005 12:48 pm

No hangarage available at Cork Airport for private aircraft. The three hangars are taken with helicopters of Bluestar and CHC's Dauphin.

The tarmac outside is available to rent for parking though.

There is recreational flying from Cork with about four light aircraft group owned. There is no longer a club in Cork, and the whole thing has gone down hill somewhat in recent years.....
    Regards,
    Aidan
  • YoYo
    Verified User
    Verified User

by YoYo » Wed Dec 28, 2005 4:11 pm

Biturbo - every one of your statements above is factually incorrect.

Have you visited Kilrush recently? Let me answer that for you NO

There is a new pilots lounge with a coffee machine on tap. Cost of a cup of excellent coffee is ?1 in the jar. New all leather seating.

In the new year we will have a Flight planning office which includes broadband internet connection to help you with your international flight plans.

The North/south runway is now fully paved thats 800mtrs of nice black tarmac - if you like tarmac - I actually perfer the grass runway - more in keeping with the 'grass roots' of the place.

I think you will find within the next year or so that Kilrush will take on the mantle of Irelands premier GA field. Weston has held the title for a long time but now its just getting into a pure commercial operations place. GA will soon disappear.

And lastly Dublin to Kilrush using the N7 will take less than an hour by road - need I say more

Let me know when you are visiting and I'll give you a conducted tour
  • Bearcat
    Verified User
    Verified User

by Bearcat » Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:01 pm

yo yo.....no hangarage thought is available in Kilrush? cubs in weston to be shown door soon.