Aviation wiki

This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

patrickc
Unverified User
Unverified User

Aviation wiki

Post by patrickc » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:19 pm

Hi -- I just set up http://flyiki.com/ with my brother (also a pilot) -- an aviation wiki.

We're tired of the fact that there's no site for storing the huge amount of knowledge that remains mostly tied up in unmaintained websites, old paper-based documents, and pilots' heads. Wikipedia is pretty good for some things, but obviously has no focus on information relevant to pilots (is the approach to rwy 31 awkward? how accommodating of GA is EINN? is EIMG still open? etc.) And while some commercial sites cover some of it, they tend to be ad-riddled, unreliable, and of course don't take user contributions.

This is an entirely non-commercial website by pilots, for pilots.

Anyway, I'm not sure what direction it'll go in -- we've added some skeletal information on most of the Irish airports, and some Canadian ones that we're familiar with -- but would love to see others add whatever they like. (I think it'd also be cool to see good guides to planes added -- there are currently basic pages for the Diamond DA20/DA42.)

Cheers,

Patrick

dara
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by dara » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:30 pm

Nice idea, next time im bored on standby ill see what i can add!!
If you are asking me if this old plane is safe to fly, how do you think it got to be this old?

IAS
Unverified User
Unverified User

Great idea

Post by IAS » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:42 pm

Great to see, good idea! Hope it goes well. if there is anything I can add, which I am sure will be very very limited, I will be sure to.

Hopefully everyone here will see the upside of it and contribute.

Thing like your Wiki and this forum keep us as all going!

M. :D