single engine ir

This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

Unverified User
Unverified User

single engine ir

Post by 121 »

hi all ,looking for some advise on what you think of doing a single engine ir-rating ? is it worth doing ? the cost ? and where in ireland can it be done ? have held ppl now for last 4 years getting lots of flying done but just wondering is it worth doing as i know from reading some articles there is alot of you shouldn fly a single engine in ir conditions ,just wondering on your thoughts!! thks in advance :?:

hum
Verified User
Verified User

SE IR

Post by hum »

Hi,

SE IR definitely worth having if you want to use an aircraft to go places.

As a PPL its easier to achieve and maintain an instrument rating in the FAA system than the JAA, hence the high number of private 'N' registered aircraft based in Europe.

I am sure the major RTOs in Weston and Waterford do JAA courses.

No problem flying SE IFR... actually much easier than VFR! .. Especially if you have good avionics.

2 things to avoid: ice and embedded CBs

dara
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by dara »

and tear drop entries into the hold! I hate holds!!
If you are asking me if this old plane is safe to fly, how do you think it got to be this old?

inverted
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by inverted »

And the Galway Control Zone....

JarJar
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by JarJar »

Hi 121,
IMHO an IR is only of value if it is going to be used regularly. To do that one needs access to an IR equipped aircraft and a place to go. Within Ireland I don't think it would be a lot if value as the journeys are too short and the destinations limited. Fine if you've a lot of overseas travel to do.
I would also say that it takes a lot to maintain your currency.
Have a look on PPL/IR.org to see the types of guys who use it. Lots of money, time and fancy aircraft.............
JJ

Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by 121 »

thanks lads for the advise .. i think i will go and try to get the rating, i do quite a bit of flying so like to have it ,the plane is ir equiped so cant see the harm in knowing how it all operates fully, plus after getting my ppl its prob the next step i suppose ...thanks again for the advise

vanman
Verified User
Verified User

Post by vanman »

It's not really the next step from a PPL. It's doable but it's probably the hardest rating to pass. Bear in mind you need to do seven? of the CPL exams and attend a two week full time refresher before sitting them.

A lot of the flight training can be done on a simulator but that doesn't make it easy. Also bear in mind that after you pass it, you have to renew it every year.

Really it's a very serious commitment to get and to keep. Prepare yourself for some serious hard work and expense. Make sure you look at the http://www.pplir.org/ It's all spelt out there.

hibby
Verified User
Verified User

Post by hibby »

Would you consider looking into the UK IMC rating instead? Of course it has no legal standing outside of the UK but if your purpose is to be safer (rather than to fly in IMC deliberately) it might suit your needs.