Post by justthejob » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:19 pm

Looks like these lads are on tour, collecting. Would be worth a look

http://www.aiaa.ie/index.php

http://www.aiaa.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=50&Itemid=1

cubpilot
Verified User
Verified User

Post by cubpilot » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:50 am

You never know when you may need this sort of service, I have had two friends helped by the devon air ambulance. one in a plane crash the other a heart problem. perhaps it would be good at fly-ins to have a collecting box or for landing fees to be donated.

bean_ian
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by bean_ian » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:24 pm

great idea, or a fly-in in aid of the AIAA where attendees pay say €20 registration/landing fee which is then donated to the AIAA.
X'Air 582(5)

Nanolight
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Nanolight » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:40 pm

Why don't they get the air corps to do this?
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

cubpilot
Verified User
Verified User

Post by cubpilot » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:37 pm

an air ambulance is a different beast to a mil chopper or the sar ones. medical kit on board is different as is the paramedic training. often an air ambulance can get into spots the big sar machines cannot go.
a special fly-in for them would be ok but how about doing a wings and wheels event. ie more attractive to the general public and have donations boxes (at the gate.) ie not an entry charge and all that implies.

dirk
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by dirk » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:34 pm

The air corps can do this in theory as both the EC-135 and AW-139's have internal "kits" to convert them to an air ambulance, But this takes time as the heli needs to be stripped completely from the inside. By the time that is done a medivac is (in most cases) no longer needed :wink:

j3cub

Post by j3cub » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:55 pm

Post Removed

Vmax
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Vmax » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:03 pm

Nanolight wrote:Why don't they get the air corps to do this?

Because as they currently stand they can't do it. Reliability is the key word here.

Vmax
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Vmax » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:05 pm

Is this service going to be an all island service ?

RV BLUE
Verified User
Verified User

Post by RV BLUE » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:49 pm

Because as they currently stand they can't do it. Reliability is the key word here.[/quote]

Reliability is not the only factor here. Having numerous operations here in the states, weather...go...no go decisions. Landing zone availability. training for rescue crews on the ground to find suitable LZ's Its a huge operation.....best of luck with it....

I think the Ais Corps are the people to do it...they have the aircraft to put into operation. I'm sure they can spare one ship. Police departments do it here and it helps fund their operation.

http://www.virtua.org/page.cfm?nav_id=462

Vmax
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Vmax » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:04 pm

If its an all island service than it should be a civilian operation not military.

TrickyDicky
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by TrickyDicky » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:25 pm

Sorry Guys I dont believe this is feasible.

The UK model works on charity donations to keep aircraft operating. The area covered by a single aircraft in the UK has a donating population many times that of this entire island.

A single aircraft wont cover the country. OK it needs time to build up but do you think people north of galway or west of clonmel will put hand in pocket for an aircraft based in the south west that is of no use to them? Thats almost 2/3 of your donating public gone. If the critical mass of donations were available this service would be up and running a long time ago.

As for crews and equipment the current SAR crews are training to Paramedic standard and have all the equipment available that would be on a HEMS aircraft. Remember they have to treat casualties for hours at a time on long range jobs not just quick hops to hospital.
As for getting into small areas thats what a winch is for. A SAR equipped aircraft, ICG or IAC, can do everything a HEMS aircraft can do but not vice versa.

Finally, etenders released expressions of interest for 2012 SAR tender. This is to include maritime rescue AND HEMS capability.

HillerBee
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by HillerBee » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:29 am

In the UK funding is partially provided by the AA, the rest comes from donations from the people. It is very hard to find the money for the charities, and they have to work really hard. Usually a charity is for one or two counties. The flying time to casualty is usually less than 15 min. A BO105 based in Tralee is good for Kerry/Cork but that's it, in the usual weather it won't be able to get to Galway or Mayo in time, or even get there at all. You can't cover the country with one aircraft, but as a start they should base it in Athlone/Mullingar/Tullamore.

The locations they picked for future use are not the best either. Going across the border is legally pretty hard on short notice. The probably should think this over, and talk to helicopter pilots that fly in this Country (IHOP springs to mind)

I welcome the idea, it has been tried before however, and it will be hard to implement. I will attend a meeting and donate.

casper
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by casper » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:50 am

There's is a similiar operation in the North. It is hoped that it will launch in June.

http://www.aa999.co.uk/

It will cover a fair bit of the island

Our Area of coverage will include:
Antrim, Armagh, Belfast. Cavan, Donegal, Down , Dublin, Fermanagh, Galway, L'Derry, Leitrim, Louth, Longford, Meath, Monaghan, Roscommon, Sligo, Tyrone, Westmeath, and not forgetting Rathlin Island and the Isle Of Man.

inverted
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by inverted » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Just heard an interview on five seven live with Derek Rowe about the starting of the all Ireland air ambulance.

One word : Disappointing.

The amount of publicity to be garnered from a primetime slot on national radio is extraordinary, yet the spokesman for the air ambulance sounded like he was back stage at a feis !
I’m not knocking the idea as I think its about time that this country has a dedicated air ambulance rather than relying on the lads at Baldonnell to finish there tae, find the keys and start the bus, I just feel that the interview could have been handled a bit better.

Anyway best of luck to the lads it’s a great idea and they need all the support that they can get.