j3cub

Where is Ireland Trickiest Airstrip?

Post by j3cub » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:30 pm

Post Removed

damienair
Verified User
Verified User

Post by damienair » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:08 pm

My nomination is Kernan Valley in Tandragee Co. Armagh. One way, narrower than Letterkenny, two sets of high tension pylons , up hill and tight as well. Ticks most boxes.
On the approach you will be higher than the first set of pylons, but your still very conscious of their position. approaching the second set of high tension pylons you must be at 240ft on the Kernan QFE, looking out the window under the wing you see the wheels quiet close to the lines, once clear you cut power to idle and side slip to approx 50ft QFE and then increase power to cruise rpm and fly the plane in the last few hundred metres skimming the hedges of 3 fields. The Treshold is raised like a cliff 15 feet off the ground below, and only when your nose is over the Treshold do you kill the power and start the flare. The flare is more like flying the plane up hill without power until the aircraft meets the ground, no waiting for a hold off here. Once down, hard on the brakes. Approach is 36, Takeoff is 18, so when you have a 15-20 mph tailwind on the approach everything happens so much faster, really difficult strip.
I learnt to fly there, for circuits a second strip is used in a parallel field, three fields away. In Kernan you had two Solo's, your first in the low field and the second was the first time to fly into the Top Field Solo, usually after 9 hours of solo consolidation. I can't say I've found any other strip too difficult after flying out of here. One of the nicest friendliest strips in the country as well.
Ollie Farrells in Drogheda is second place, only 180 metres with high ditches at each end.
Third is Michael Tolans strip in Crossmolina Co. Mayo, built in a bog with a deep ditch all around the runway, it's like a carrier landing but with a cross wind component, always has a cross wind.

Damien.
Pegasus XL 462
PILOTS are just PLANE people with a special AIR about them

hum
Verified User
Verified User

Depends on type

Post by hum » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:36 pm

I guess it depends on what type of aircraft... a microlight with a good power to weight ratio will be Ok in the sort of 'postage stamp airfields' Damien is talking about... Still tricky I have no doubt, but do-able. Would not like to try it in a tired spamcan... (probably Ok in but might struggle out). :shock:

There is a strip near Ardnacrusha that is a short 1-way 'limbo' under some wires... not too many visitors go in there! The owner has operated happily in and out for years - a pleasure to watch him perform - I guess it concentrates the mind.

It was always entertaining to watch the late great John Keane land the Skybolt in Coonagh... He never called anything except 'downwind' - only decided to land if it looked right at the last minute!

There are lots of grass strips around the country that could probably take a floatplane these days the ground is so wet :lol:

My personal all-time favourite short strip GA aircraft has to be the Silver Eagle... :twisted:

Pilot
Verified User
Verified User

Re: Where is Ireland Trickiest Airstrip?

Post by Pilot » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:12 pm

j3cub wrote:Anyone else got trickier ones, photo's a bonus. Cant figure out how to post them myself

Not sure if you are asking how to post or not.

But if you are asking how to post a photo, here's a guide.
1. Go to http://www.imageshack.us
2. Near the top of the screen is an orange bar. Just below the bar, on the right hand side is a button marked "Browse". Click it.
3. In the box that opens, find the picture that you want to put onto the site, and double click it to select it. (Note that the image must be less than 1.5MB in size)
4. Now a few lines below the "Browse" button is a button surrounded in orange which has "Host it!" written on it. Click it.
5. Wait a few second for it to be uploaded, and then you shoud get a results screen.
6. On the results screen, scroll down to the very bottom, where you will find a link "+ Show advanced linking". Click it.
7. This reveals some a new link marked "Direct link to image" an a warning not to use it for forums...because they get no advertising from it :roll:
8. Highlight the link and copy it.
9. Now come back here, where you want to post the image, and in the "post a reply screen" just under the Subject line you will see some buttons for bold, italic etc. One of these is IMG (for image). Click it once. This inserts some code into your post.
10. Immediately after the code, past the link that you just copied in step 8.
11. Click the IMG button again to insert some more code.

Now when you submit your posting, the image should appear in it.

I hope that helps.

P

jonkil
Verified User
Verified User

Post by jonkil » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:06 am

Liam Dalys in Tullamore is quite tight too, bit over 200 metres and over wires right on the threshold, you need it on the back of the drag curve !
Agree with J3 original post, Letterkenny is narrow, but is a very easy strip to operate from, Damien has it right regarding NARROW, Tandragee is narrow all right, but what about Carrigart in Donegal, 4 metres wide!
Hum, very correct. There is some strips very doable in the high performance microlights that you wouldn't blink at in anything else, one of the big benefits of such an aircraft. The most important thing is safety, and know when to go around, making the decision early and the moment you are unhappy with the situation.
They all make for some great flying, don't they ?
Last edited by jonkil on Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nanolight
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Nanolight » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:14 am

Indeed. Wouldn't life be fierce boring if they were all 2000M of tarmac?!

Remember Moyne :shock: That was an interesting one. I just noticed it's not on the new half mil chart.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

j3cub

Post by j3cub » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:33 am

Post Removed

Afterdark
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Afterdark » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:05 am

EIAB @ 02:30 using NVG's.
Tends to focus the mind !

jonkil
Verified User
Verified User

Post by jonkil » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:54 pm

j3cub

Post by j3cub » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:53 pm

Post Removed

jonkil
Verified User
Verified User

Post by jonkil » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:01 pm

Like the video from Alfies. now this "to be continued" lark ???? hope you are not in the trees in the other end !!!!!
I have been to Alfies a few times. Quite a nice little private strip and to boot Alfie is a real gentleman.
The camera on the C42 youtube videos is in a mates plane, it is a dedicated fixed cam available from a company in Belfast for about £120 stg coupled to a HDD mp4 recorder... it works well and has a separate microphone input coupled to the radio interface.
PM me if you want details of the gear.

Jon

GoGoGadgetGoAround
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by GoGoGadgetGoAround » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:31 pm

Although not in Ireland this clip is definitly worth watching, it was given to me by a mate, spectacular stuff!!

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=wcgFfynfCds
Engine Failure: A condition which occurs when all fuel tanks mysteriously become filled with air

j3cub

Post by j3cub » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:00 pm

Post Removed

michael747
Verified User
Verified User

Post by michael747 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:26 pm

The one of Kilrush in the snow is cool......
I'd love to go flying in the snow.....
Regards,
M747
:D

holyflyer
Verified User
Verified User

Post by holyflyer » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:28 pm

Could I add :

29 at Monamolin uphill in a Cessna 172H with a tractor parked just beyond the opposite (11) threshold. The 29 runway was also shortened due to a lorry leaving deep ruts in the threshold area.

Have a feeling Monamolin is no longer. Last time I looked in (by road) the grass was knee high.