This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

L.bow
Unverified User
Unverified User

Instructor Work

Post by L.bow »

Hi all

I am looking for work as a fixed wing Instructor in Ireland. I am 26, from the west of Ireland and hold a JAR (UK) CPL with FIC (restricted) Rating.

All feedback welcome

Cheers
Kevin

driver1a
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by driver1a »

There are only really three possible schools where you can find work for pay. The NFC, Atlantic in Cork and PTC in Waterford. Suggest you get in touch with them. The NFC is the only one I know anything about. They will expect a high standard. They also tend to prefer those instructors they train themselves.

There is also the Sligo flying school in Sligo obviously. I don't know if Ollie is recruiting.

stovepipe
Verified User
Verified User

Post by stovepipe »

Hi there
Things being as tight as they are, you may end up instructing at a club, free and for nothing, to work off the restriction, if you don't get into the Big Three.Failing that, go to the UK, which has a much wider scope.
regards
Stovepipe

Lambada Crazy
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Lambada Crazy »

Hey!
Its not all doom and gloom, there are loads and loads of RTFs out there, that im sure you wont have to work for free. Maybe look at Galway if your in the west. Then try your other options.

From what ive heard, a few of the Big Three arent so good to work for.

Get in contact with RTFs, You will find a list of contacts on the IAAs websites.

Best of Luck,

LC
When a flight is proceeding incredibly well, something was forgotten.

vanman
Verified User
Verified User

Post by vanman »

Lambada there is nothing in Galway, not paid anyhow. No one mentioned Skytrace or Flightwise at Weston. They have Instructors working for them. The other RTFs in the country are clubs and don't have paid instructors.

Nanolight
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Nanolight »

vanman wrote:The other RTFs in the country are clubs and don't have paid instructors.

Yes they do.

Perhaps not on a nominal salary, but they're paid for their work.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

highflyer1000
Verified User
Verified User

payment

Post by highflyer1000 »

As far as I know, once the instructor, the aircraft and the student are members of the same club/RTF, it is legal to instruct. Payment for the aircraft is to the club, whereas payment for instruction is between the student and the instructor, the club is not involved.
A good landing is one you can walk away from, a great landing is one where you can use the aircraft again.

JarJar
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by JarJar »

Highflyer1000.
If the instructor is to be paid then the RTF needs Aerial works aircraft and CPL instructors. Most Clubs are using PPL instructors and therefore can only reimburse expenses to them. If PPL's take payment then they're breaking the rules.
JJ

YoYo
Verified User
Verified User

Post by YoYo »

JJ

Define expenses

JarJar
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by JarJar »

Yo Yo,
Reimbursement of outlays incurred by the Instructor in the course of his duties of instruction. This would include motoring costs refunded via a flat rate kilometric allowance for travel at Civil Service rates. Essentially monies paid which could not be considered as a wage. E. & O.E.
JJ

vanman
Verified User
Verified User

Post by vanman »

In other words you can't make a profit, legally unless you're a CPL instructor.

Does anyone know of any clubs or RTFs who have an aerial work aircraft? I can't think of any.

JarJar
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by JarJar »

Vanman,
I understand that AeroClub 2000 in Abbeyshrule has Aerial works aircraft.
JJ

JarJar
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by JarJar »

Vanman,

NFC (FTO) in Weston also has an RTF as do Flightwise and Skytrace.
More than you might expect really. I think it's because the RTF can advertise and give Intro flights whereas "Clubs" (PPL Instructor) cannot.
JJ

Papa8
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Papa8 »

My club has a paid CPL instructor and leases an aircraft from a club member. We pay for the instructor seperate from the hire rate of the aircraft. It means too that student or private pilot can see that they always pay the same for hire. The only person who gets the plane cheaper is the owner themselves. As the plane is leased the owner is responsible for maintenance which again keeps it outside the necessary finances of the club.
It only takes two things to fly:--- airspeed and money.

OnTheNumbers
Verified User
Verified User

Post by OnTheNumbers »

Hi JarJar
I think it's because the RTF can advertise and give Intro flights whereas "Clubs" (PPL Instructor) cannot.

Clubs conducting training need to be an RTF. I think the reason that you don't see them advertising is that clubs don't always have the capacity to deal with the number of people wanting to do PPLs.

David
OnTheNumbers
-------------------------------------------------------
http://www.clearofcloud.ie
@clearofcloud on Twitter, Instagram