known icing conditions??

This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

Whisky Tango
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Whisky Tango » Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:43 pm

Yep she made it alright. Did a bit of trawling the net and found out it was on 23rd April 2006. Total time of over 8 hours....I'd say she was in some state by the end if it!

Here's the track log of the flight

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N127 ... R/tracklog

Note that she had been flying for 5 hours at 10000-11000ft, I wonder if the altitude was affecting her judgement? (Well something was!!!!!)

hum
Verified User
Verified User

Was it really a caravan?

Post by hum » Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:32 pm

The only aircraft I can find online that corresponds to the callsign used in the alarming recording above is a Cessna 172, although the build date appears to be after the event in the recording... I wonder was it really a Caravan.... Is it possible in the US system to have 2 aircraft registered using the same number?

http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/N1278L.html

Whisky Tango
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Whisky Tango » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:01 pm

It changed reg to N208KL in November 2006

mr crow
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by mr crow » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:55 pm

Last edited by mr crow on Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Whisky Tango
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Whisky Tango » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:10 pm

Here's part of that ferry flight.....

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N1278L

hibby
Verified User
Verified User

Post by hibby » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:30 pm

Whisky Tango wrote:Here's the track log of the flight

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N127 ... R/tracklog

Hey WT, how did you do that? I went to flightaware.com and there's fabulous amounts of information on there, but they have limits of only a few months of historic data (even for paid premium accounts, it's 5 months).

I'd love to be able to look up logs for my student flights in Florida, just for fun. Would those have been recorded and stored?

Whisky Tango
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Whisky Tango » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:08 pm

I dunno, I just typed that tail number into the flight tracker and it gave me that!! :lol:

Bob
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Bob » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:37 pm

The thing I found hard to believe is the fact that she spent 2 or 3 minutes of what must of being hell rolling around in cloud and 60 seconds later she had talked herself into thinking everything was okay when she really had no idea what had just happened, classic case for Human performance and LIMITATIONS.

She was fairly close to lining up the holes in the cheese.

She seemed well out of her depth alright. I know it's ultimately the pilot in charge of the aircraft but is there a case where by she should have been ordered to land it was the controller who seemed to be doing all her thinking for her. She seemed in shock and not really in any fit state to be flying.

As was pointed out there should have at least been a visual investigation of the aircraft on the ground.

hibby
Verified User
Verified User

Post by hibby » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:04 am

Bob wrote:
I know it's ultimately the pilot in charge of the aircraft but is there a case where by she should have been ordered to land it was the controller who seemed to be doing all her thinking for her.

I have wondered that myself, on previous occasions. I've formed the impression, from various incidents in the past (mostly in the USA), that ATC will never tell you not to take off, or not to continue flying to your destination, no matter how unwise they may think it is. They will still try to facilitate you to do what you tell them you intend to do. At most they will recommend a course of action.

I remember one case where the controller "strongly recommended" that I not fly directly over Palatka airfield, because of parachuting activity. I would have thought an instruction would be more appropriate than a recommendation in that case.

Whisky Tango
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Whisky Tango » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:54 am

I don't know but if I were her on an 8-hour non-stop IFR flight in a caravan I would certainly have landed, ATC instruction or not, just to check the plane and regain composure. Seems like she was in a hurry to get where she was going and nothing was going to delay her.....

j3cub

Post by j3cub » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:41 am

Post Removed

ifty
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by ifty » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:44 pm

j3cub wrote:Had to cancel an early morning flight today because of serious Icing conditions that would effect the trip. Half the god damn lake iced over, with a quarter inch glaze of the the stuff I'd rather have in my Vodka. Minus 6 in Mullingar, colder than my Ex!

Anyone else affected?

J3

:wink:

Nope had my first trip to Abbeyshrule today 8) mind it was after 1330 when we took off
You pass this way but once, there is no such thing as normal. There is you and the rest, now and forever. Do as you damn well please or you could end up being a pot-bellied, hairless boring old fart.