Great to see no more accident/incident discussion..

This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

j3cub

Great to see no more accident/incident discussion..

Post by j3cub » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:03 pm

Post Removed

Little Boy Lost
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Little Boy Lost » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:30 pm

I don't think there is much speculation required for any of the recent
accidents.

ifty
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by ifty » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:38 pm

It is the nature of the beast that accidents will be discussed and disected, and in some ways it can be a good thing as it generates varying opinions that poeople may learn from. As long as it is done in a respectful way I dont see a problem with it.
You pass this way but once, there is no such thing as normal. There is you and the rest, now and forever. Do as you damn well please or you could end up being a pot-bellied, hairless boring old fart.

tally1
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by tally1 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:18 pm

Gotta agree with you cub. While most here are intelligent considerate flyers the nature of an internet forum means that you will ALWAYS get some insensitive asshole who gets off on causing a stir or some such .

By simply waiting for the relevant AAIU report then i have no problem with debate and opinions of any sort as the fact that the report is out discourages the walter mitty's , misinformed, anarchists , trolls etc.

Then the different theories and opinions have their place and i must say i ahve learnt quite a lot over the years from those.

petesl
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by petesl » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:29 pm

I read about the accident last weekend in Wicklow on the forums here on the Sunday morning, and given I have spent 5 years in Bristol just down the road from Gloucester, and have flown out of Filton with a school which is based in both airfields and flies PA28’s, felt some kind of tenuous link to the accident.

Later that day I received a phone call from my Aunt, who lives outside Bristol, in the same small village as the pilot and knew him and his family very well. At this point no positive identification had been made of the pilot or passengers; however the worst was of course feared.

She was looking for information and hoping that given I had been involved in GA over here for a year and a half now, I mite be able to offer something. The best I could suggest was directing her to the points where I would find information, namely this forum site and PPRUNE which I had also checked earlier that day. However when suggesting PPRUNE I had to stop myself, due to the not altogether polite things that had been said about the pilot etc. which would only serve to upset and distress more.

I’m not posting this as a pro or con for the discussion of accidents, nor to bash the posters on PPRUNE, but more to commend the gentlemen (and ladies) on this site who only offered links to latest information and their sympathy and condolences.

tally1
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by tally1 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:39 pm

Yes PPrune has degenerated in to a particularily nasty quagmire of late. People and their 'opinions' serve nothing to no-one at this stage. The fact that some of these people and 'experts' wouldnt know a prop from an electric toothbrush doesnt help.

It must be so hard for the families and so adding to their misery with misinformed hearsay should have no place on any forum but thats just not realisitic on any open public forum.

Just wait for the report.

mr crow
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by mr crow » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:17 am

Last edited by mr crow on Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cosmic
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Cosmic » Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:46 pm

j3cub Are you talking about informed speculation by licenced Pilots or uninformed speculation by Walter Mitty wannabe Flight Simulator Pilots types? There is a vast difference.

The thread I read on this forum contained restrained informed speculation, and to anyone with a licence the cause seems quite apparant. One would need only to read Bearcats(A Pilot with substantial Commercial and Private experience) report on the weather in the area at the time to grasp that. There is a purpose in such discussion; it's not voyeurism or triumphalisim. We discuss accidents like these to improve our knowledge as Pilots and to remind ourselves as Pilots of light aircraft how very vulnerable to the elements we are. I really believe that it is about the only positive thing that can come out of an accident such as this one, and neither is it a smear on those who lost their life. Everyone has made mistakes and learned from them, it seems all that seperates us from "them" is we got away with ours and are still here to talk about it.

As for the uninformed morons, with their google maps and recreated flight paths drawn on them, well, that hasn't made it over from PPRuNe yet thankfully. I think the Moderator of this site has proven himself capable of handling them on the rare occasion it has been needed, and those who would do so in the future can expect to be dealt with accordingly.
We who fly do so for the love of flying. We are alive in the air with this miracle that lies in our hands and beneath our feet.

— Cecil Day Lewis

j3cub

Post by j3cub » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:14 pm

Post Removed