Flying Club Membership Comparison
  • Papa8
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

Flying Club Membership Comparison

by Papa8 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:23 pm

To follow on from avgas comparison I think it is worthwhile to compare yearly membership of your flying club. Aside from FTOs at Weston, Waterford and Cork. Lets get this information out there as it is becoming a very significant figure for adding up the cost of a PPL if you were to do it in Trim. Although the rate for their aircraft is lower so I realise everything is relative. Still a lot up front though.

To my mind Trim Flying Clubs €1500 for PPL and €1200 for Students and €35 per month standing order or another €420 a year takes the cake at the top end.

Here in Kilkenny Flying Club it is €300 roughly although that may change of course next year.

Aero Club 2000 in Abbeyshrule I don't remember being that high.

How do the microlight schools stand up for yearly membership.
    It only takes two things to fly:--- airspeed and money.
    DonalMW
    Verified User
    Verified User

by DonalMW » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:54 pm

And I was pissed off that Galway flying club membership has risen from €100 to €200 the past 2 or 3 years!!

And also the occasional compulsary €100...

Altho there's been 2 of theese the past 2 years....... hmmmmm
  • Nanolight
    Verified User
    Verified User

by Nanolight » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:58 pm

€200, which is fair enough I think. Works out at less than the price of a pint of beer per week. At the end of the day, any flying club has to cover its costs.

So if you want a kettle on, a nice warm clubhouse, a plane sitting on the tarmac when you want it, an instructor for check flights and lessons... you have to pay your share!

Trim seems a bit steep! How do they justify it?
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • highflyer1000
    Verified User
    Verified User

Membership

by highflyer1000 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:01 pm

In fact Kilkenny will be €350 next year. The problem is that the powers that be are trying to run these Clubs as a profit making business. The basic reason for a club is to make flying affordable for those who cannot afford an aircraft of their own. This should be run as a not-for-profit organisation. In fact it is the club members that own all the club assets, like shareholders, but don't get much of a say in how it is run. Aircraft owners do not have any incentive to make flying affordable for the masses as they are already in control of their own flying costs. Committees of flying clubs should consist of PPL's that hire club aircraft and students who depend on them for training, with a token member from other aspects of the club.

Thats my rant for today! Safe flying :D
    A good landing is one you can walk away from, a great landing is one where you can use the aircraft again.
    DonalMW
    Verified User
    Verified User

by DonalMW » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:27 pm

Galway Flying club is a voluntary club, no instructor is paid....

No committee member is paid.....

And to my knowledge because of this our instructors didn't need a CPL for an instructors rating, I stand to be corrected on this.....
  • alphaLaura
    Verified User
    Verified User

by alphaLaura » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:50 pm

Waterford Aero Club are probably one of the best valued clubs in the Country at €185 per year. I pay €200 in Kilkenny also. Both these clubs also offer very reasonable rates on their aircraft so it's win-win.
    The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no.
    I OWN THE SUN
  • Flyer1
    Verified User
    Verified User

by Flyer1 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:01 pm

As Laura stated, Waterford is €185 which represents excellent value, a nice big clubhouse with a full kitchen, free wireless internet and free computer access, online booking system and flight training 7 days a week.

Two brand new Tecnam's which are extremely affordable to fly.

1 excellent condition PA28 with a brand new engine and prop.

Aircraft availability is great, for example, recently 4 of us took the club Warrior accross to the UK for a day, there was no problem with availability and we only paid for what we flew.
  • jonkil
    Verified User
    Verified User

by jonkil » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:28 pm

€200 per year at Letterkenny. No club aircraft.
  • Lambada Crazy
    Verified User
    Verified User

by Lambada Crazy » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:44 pm

What is the €200 paid for jonkill? is it the upkeep of the airfield also?

Im currently a member of Waterford, as Flyer1 said, membership €185 and is €165 for the first month of the year! Two new planes sitting on the ramp, online booking system!

Aircraft rates approx €75 per hour (tecnams) = 125 per tach hour

It would be great to see what ye guys are being charged for aircraft hire??

Is it charged by the Tach or by the hobbs?
    What kind of aircraft are available?
    What is the availablitity for training and for PPL Hire?

LC
    When a flight is proceeding incredibly well, something was forgotten.
  • ifty
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by ifty » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:57 pm

I think its 250 at Sligo 2 - 3 aircraft available normally you can gat training 7 days a week and cheap per hour rates too 130 for 152 all in all not too bad IMHO
    You pass this way but once, there is no such thing as normal. There is you and the rest, now and forever. Do as you damn well please or you could end up being a pot-bellied, hairless boring old fart.
  • willo
    Verified User
    Verified User

by willo » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:33 am

Ultraflight in Abbeyshrule is €250 pa and Aero Club is about €200 or so.

however, we also have to pay €300 to the airfield for an annual permit.
  • DamnBusted
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

To quote Oscar Wilde

by DamnBusted » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:11 am

“There are many things that we would throw away if we were not afraid that others might pick them up.”

The question of a club "making money" can be debated from a number of angles. However, a club from a day to day living point of view needs to cover its cost with a margin, albeit small, in order to allow for unforeseen circumstances. In addition to this the flying rate needs to do the same with allowances for aircraft replacement.
    How clubs generate the flying revenue is upto themselves. Chances are if it is a healthy club, Students occupy perhaps 50-60% of the clubs revenue (hours), and the balance 50%-40% comes from PPL's. You can then argue about the facilities offered to each and how they are funded etc.
    How committee's are constructed is a whole different ball of wax. On all committee's you find deadwood who appear to just sit there wishing to block every suggestion in the world for no real reason. And as with most things you find, everyone has an agenda. However, flying club committee's need people with agenda's which are only for the good of the club and are indeed somewhat selfless. Their agenda being, keeping flying rates down, membership rates down and in doing so promoting the use of aircraft and flying. Flying in your local club should be cheaper than group flying, if it's not you have a problem. The problem can be from complete wastes of money. Any money wasted will impact on either the membership rate or the hourly rate. This has a further negative in that as the rate rises the hours flown drops, and so the cost of running the a/c increases which means the hourly rate must go up again etc etc.
    Members of a club, need to be proactive, if they are not happy with a situation, change the committee but don't just sit there moaning about it. To moan is a very Irish feature, and is far too easy. And so in your club, if you have a chance to bring on change, don't just sit there wondering, do something about it.

CHeerio
    Damn! Busted
  • Nanolight
    Verified User
    Verified User

by Nanolight » Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:42 pm

Damn good post!

I find it funny that people moan about comittees though. Commitees are (or at least should be) democratically elected by the club members. So, in essence, the people doing the moaning are the ones that voted them in, or at least didn't suggest or provide an alternative.

When I was in college I joined a club whose comittee were a cliquey bunch of elitest exclusionist d***s who hoarded the (substantial) funding given to them by the college and used it personally. They also used the club's equipment personally and kept it at home.

I went to the student union to complain (more out of principle than anything else) and was given a very simple solution:

Myself and a load of my mates showed up unexpected at the next AGM and voted them all off the comittee!

This is hostile takeover and works to great effect in any committee situation if you have the personall to make it happen.
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • shrtfld
    Verified User
    Verified User

by shrtfld » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:05 pm

Limerick Flying Club annual sub is €350. Flying rates on Tecnam, Koliber and Rallye - €120 for students and €110 for PPLs.

Three aircraft bought in three years (including two new Tecnams ex factory) with minimal borrowings.

A membership of 80 plus members, at €350 a head - helps the number crunching.
    Shrtfld
  • Lambada Crazy
    Verified User
    Verified User

by Lambada Crazy » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:30 pm

shrtfield,

Is the tecnam price per Clock hour or per tach hour?

LC
    When a flight is proceeding incredibly well, something was forgotten.