This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

Lambada Crazy
Verified User
Verified User

GA Friendly Ireland

Post by Lambada Crazy » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:06 pm

Hi All,

I know that everyone here is waiting to here a bad report as i called the topic "GA Friendy Ireland" and usually that topic dosent match with a good report.

Well where should i start! Finally we got a great day for flying, its been coming with about a year! Myself and a friend took Waterford Aero Clubs new Tecnam for a spin (flight) to shannon airport! We got great help from Shannon info, the controller was very friendy and handed us of to shannon twr which were great also! So we landed, spent 10 minutes taxing down the runway and another 10 minutes finding the ramp! Once we landed we were greeted by shannon airport ops, who brought us to the terminal and gave us the instructions on how to get back to the same place so he can pick us up! Really great place, going back out was great, arrived at security, they were looking for our boarding pass, told them we were going to the light aircraft parking and they phoned ahead to OPS, We were given a gate to go to and they met us there and brought us back to our aircraft!

Now people, heres the difficult part, being ireland, can anyone put a price on this service? With all the bad press irish aviation gets, shannon charged us €13, and i will add that i had visited cork airport a few months back and recieved the same service for the same price!

Brilliant Value,
The guys in ops said its great when Light aircraft come along!!

Anyone else recomend other airport like this?

Hows galway these days?
When a flight is proceeding incredibly well, something was forgotten.

ifty
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by ifty » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:11 pm

very good I thought it would have been much more! excellent and credit where its due
You pass this way but once, there is no such thing as normal. There is you and the rest, now and forever. Do as you damn well please or you could end up being a pot-bellied, hairless boring old fart.

xair899
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by xair899 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:27 pm

How's Galway?
Go to their website and look for Charges, hard to miss because there's 15 pages of them.
Minimum landing fee €25. Security charge for all pax incl GA €4. Use of their ATS €6 per leg. Looks like a solo visit there could cost you around €41..........

I'd be interested to hear how it compares with other regional airports. As far as I know they are the only one that charge for flying in their zone. Actually says that as from 2002 they have the legal right to do so, all stems from a case against Celtic Helicopters (son of C. Haughey!) when they seized a helicopter against unpaid fees during Galway Race week.

Nick

Lambada Crazy
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Lambada Crazy » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:31 pm

Crazy! Waterford is €15 for a landing i think, theres a big scheme of charges, but fortunatly there fairly small!

What about the rest guys?
When a flight is proceeding incredibly well, something was forgotten.

jonkil
Verified User
Verified User

Post by jonkil » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:31 pm

Eglington, or City of Derry airport as it is called is excellent. Belfast Aldrogrove is also a great place to visit. Donegal Airport is very nice also, a quiet airfield with miles of tarmac !
George Best airport (Belfast City) will relieve you of over a £100 STG for the privilege of landing there, so best to avoid.
Personally, I love grass strips and they are available all over the country, more of a challenge and usually much more friendly.
You are welcome anytime to any of the Donegal strips, stretch your legs and come north !

j3cub

Post by j3cub » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:51 pm

Post Removed

michael747
Verified User
Verified User

Post by michael747 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:39 pm

Hey,

To be honest lads, I haven't had anything but good treatment while going
to any airport/airfield.

I went to Galway a few months ago to see the SawDoctors and loved it.
I left Weston as usual and was in Galway less than an hour later. Upon hondoff from Shannon i contacted Galway and a nice greeting as always, was cleared direct to the field as there was no traffic due till 15 mins later.
I parked the plane up for about 26 hours and it only cost like €34 or there-abouts when i left....
Leaving was nice'n handy, Just through the departures and out onto the ramp we went.
(And i got my bottle of Volvic through aswell - I'm going to have to confiscate this sorry, oh no you don't says I :D)

Kilrush Airfield still tops it for me :D
Land or drive in anytime and you see nothing but smiles and people that'd love to show you around.

I still have a few airports to see and am looking forward to visiting Shannon as i haven't been since my solo x-c 5 years ago :D

Sligo is a lovely spot aswell - And dont forget to fill up while your there :D
Regards,
M747
:D

Flyer1
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Flyer1 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:13 am

Whats this about abbeyshrule ? I've been in there 4 or 5 times this year with no hassle.

Nidata
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Nidata » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:24 am

Is it true Waterford are charging for touch and go's now ?
:o

j3cub

Post by j3cub » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:35 pm

Post Removed

Flyer1
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Flyer1 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:11 pm

Jasus I better be careful the next time I take a trip up to abbeyshrule spaceport so....

A good time to invest in floats, though the greens would object on side of the ducks.

willo
Verified User
Verified User

Post by willo » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:18 pm

Think the place to watch out for a poor value landing fee now is abbeyshrule, which includes a free bollicking if you dont have ppr.... as stated in AIP. Try friendly GA there

I agree.

In 2007, EIAB visitors were subjected to demands for landing fee before the wheels had even stopped. I believe that the airfield operators have the right to charge, however, some facilities for visiting pilots would help. In 2008, it seems less likely that you will be approached for landing fee, but when we suggested a fly-in, there was a query about collecting landing fees, even though they are not collected avidly the other 364 days of the year.

In 2008, its the spectre of PPR, insurance etc, as j3cub has outlined. Its worse for us with aircraft based on the field. I have no difficulty supplying th einfo, but some civility would be welcome

The number of visitors this summer to EiAB is noticeably less, and whilst the weather would account for some, I believe that the above are also reducing the visitor base.

A few of us are planning to meet the operator and see what the story is. If you have any experiences, positive or negative, send them on.

W

cleared to land
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by cleared to land » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:11 pm

I go in and out of EIAB all the time. On one occasion just after taxing in a person approached me and opened the door of the aircraft looking for a landing fee. I told him in colorful language that I would pay it when I got in but I needed to turn off the engine first!!

It would be fun to organize a boycott of EIAB for a while and they may change their tune. I have no problem with a landing fee, its the manner in which it is collected that is the problem.

mr crow
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by mr crow » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:26 pm

Last edited by mr crow on Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zyox
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Zyox » Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:01 pm

mr crow wrote:You might see E-FLOW at the end of the runway yet!

Barrier free landings :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lol :D Classic!
::: Image :::