Airport in Bantry or Bantry area
  • therookery
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

Airport in Bantry or Bantry area

by therookery » Mon Sep 20, 2004 7:29 pm

I'm trying to find out some more information about Bantry Airport or any strips in that area. I've searched everywhere and cannot find a thing.

Anyone any ideas / advice?

John
  • shrtfld
    Verified User
    Verified User

Bantry

by shrtfld » Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:14 pm

Bantry Airfield exists and is operational. Subject to very strict PPR. It is a licensed strip with an ICAO code of EIBN. Details in AIP, Fly-in Ireland, Pooleys-Ireland. Denis Connolly of Rowa Pharmaceuticals is the contact. 027 50077.

They are very strict about having someone on the ground when you are due to arrive and again for your departure. To discourage unannounced visitors windsock is only hung for notified arrivals and departures. Landing fees tend to be higher than most airfields.

However if going there read advisories. Prone to low level turbulance using Runway 07 if the winds are out of the south east. I can personally attest to that claim. Because of hills to south pattern from t/o to landing is over water.

However to my mind is it one of the most beautifully located airfields in the country. Coming over the mountains from the north east of Bantry at 3500 feet gives a view to behold as you look down the length of Bantry Bay. Spectacular on a clear day.
    Shrtfld
  • therookery
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by therookery » Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:24 pm

Fantastic - thanks Shrtfld - just what I was looking for.

So there's no chance of basing an aircraft there then?

We're thinking of moving to the area and I'm looking at the flying possibilities. Are there any other strips in that area which I could use / possibly base at?

John
  • Frosty
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by Frosty » Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:39 pm

It is owned by ROWA pharmaceuticals Ltd. They charge a lot for the use of the field. (Take a look at http://www.freewebs.com/corkairport under the "Corks' Airfields" section. Alternatively you could use Rathcoole (near Millstreat) or Kilcoleman (Bandon). Some contact details are available on the site.
    Regards,
    Aidan
  • therookery
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by therookery » Tue Sep 21, 2004 8:42 am

Hmmm....does not sound like a good place to base an aircraft and VERY expensive too - ?30 per landing is a lot.

Does anyone know about rules for setting up your own strip? Is it like in the UK with the 28 day rule?

John
  • MCRO
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by MCRO » Tue Sep 21, 2004 10:35 am

Havae a look at Art 5 (4) of the Aerodromes Order (S.I.334 of 2000) and be duly astonished.

Maurice
  • shrtfld
    Verified User
    Verified User

Bantry

by shrtfld » Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:34 am

The cost of landing does not necessarily reflect the cost of being based at a given airfield. I suggest you give Denis Connolly a call and set up a meeting or line of communications with his boss. Obviously if you don't ask you won't receive. The airfield has a decent hanger though what it contains I do not know.

As you seem to be destined for West Cork the options to do your own strip are likely to very limited and horribly expensive. The area is prone to low cloud and lots of on shore wind. The surface conditions are not too hectic either -rough terrain and mountains (Irish standards). You'll find Bantry Airfield is probably the only decent location within 15 or 20 miles of Bantry Bay and that is because it is literally built on a beach.

Finally if you do get permission to use the airfield you will find they are very hospitable and flexible and a delight to deal with.

Hope it all works out. If you want to send me a PM please feel free to do so.

Rgds
    Shrtfld
  • therookery
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by therookery » Tue Sep 21, 2004 5:10 pm

Is this available online? If so, any chance of a link?

Thanks

John

MCRO wrote:Havae a look at Art 5 (4) of the Aerodromes Order (S.I.334 of 2000) and be duly astonished.

Maurice
    hum
    Verified User
    Verified User

by hum » Tue Sep 21, 2004 7:41 pm

http://www.iaa.ie/

look under legislation
  • therookery
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by therookery » Tue Sep 21, 2004 7:52 pm

Thanks - just read that and it seems ok.

So if I buy land with a reasonably flat area of grass and use this as a runway I will be ok? I have a PPL(a) and it will be my own land (so I give myself permission to use it). I'm going to be very careful and not endanger anyone else or their property.

Is there any restrictions on how often I can use the land for flying that anyone knows about without obtaining planning permission for the use of the land as an airstrip.

John

hum wrote:http://www.iaa.ie/

look under legislation
  • MCRO
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by MCRO » Tue Sep 21, 2004 8:04 pm

Don't suggest ........

That's how bad ideas gain currency

Maurice
  • therookery
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by therookery » Tue Sep 21, 2004 8:07 pm

Not sure I follow you?

MCRO wrote:Don't suggest ........

That's how bad ideas gain currency

Maurice
    John
  • Flyer1
    Verified User
    Verified User

by Flyer1 » Tue Sep 21, 2004 8:30 pm

What A/C will u be operating from it ?
  • therookery
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by therookery » Tue Sep 21, 2004 8:34 pm

Good question - not sure yet. I currently fly a Piper Arrow but would probably be downsizing and may even consider a microlight of some kind.

Our ideas are very much at the early stage at the moment and we are just feeling out what and what is not possible.

Flyer1 wrote:What A/C will u be operating from it ?
    John
  • Microheavy
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by Microheavy » Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:14 am

The basic rules in Ireland state that you can take off or land from any private land as long as you have the owners permission. If you own the land yourself then happy days.

What Maurice is saying is don't enquire or suggest too much to the Irish Authority, it might give them ideas.

Best of luck, Cork is a wonderful place.

mH