Newcastle

This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

StrikeCommand
Verified User
Verified User

Post by StrikeCommand »

There are no votes in aviation - or at least that's the way local politicians and LA officials see it at present. In order to make progress general aviation people will have to organise themselves politically and start lobbying local councillors, TDs etc. Look at the number of old RAF airfields (many of them famous places associated with the Battle of Britain etc) which have been lost to development in the UK. North Weald was a good example of where the GA community got together to participate in the planning process sucessfully.

WCC likes to give the impression that it wants to encourage industry and business to invest in Wicklow. The county manager once told the councillors that he couldn't put a sign on the N11 saying that the county was closed for business (or words to that effect). They recently did a survey of commuters in the county and a high proportion of them said they would rather work in Wicklow than have to commute to work in Dublin. Every now and then they organise a "Wicklow Showcase" in City West (for example) to encourage business to set up in Wicklow. Unfortunately you also have to look at the clowns they get to promote the county at these - e.g. Bertie and the €87 million loan man from the bank with the lowest share price on the market - which says a lot.
Aviation facilities would create a certain amount of employment - probably a lot more than a few birdwatchers. However the Wicklow County Development plan has nothing in it about aviation under its transportation policy objectives. With the old Newcastle Railway Station immediately adjacent to EI NC, it could have been turned into an intermodal transport hub. The location as one of the few airfields on the east cost of Ireland would be key in attracting air traffic from across the Irish Sea.
Wicklow could also be a good location for a regional airport (there are better locations in Wicklow than Newcastle though). But taking Newcastle as an example, there are over 100,000 people living within 10 nm of EI NC - which is more than are living within the same radius of any of the regional airports (and that is despite the fact that the only thing to the east of the field is the Irish Sea). No doubt air travellers would be only too happy to make a 25 or 30 minute trip to Wicklow Regional from any where in South County Dublin rather than endure teh nightmare of Dublin Airport.

John Nugent
Unverified User
Unverified User

E I N C

Post by John Nugent »

Last edited by John Nugent on Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cubpilot
Verified User
Verified User

Post by cubpilot »

John, wishing you all the best of luck to get newcastle a thriving airfield. it will be very convenient for me when visiting various friends and relatives nearby.
a couple of suggestions. when you can, get a decent eatery functioning, not just for fliers but more for the local trade.
on the same theme of making the place accessable for locals and something they would regret if closed down, get the local community fundraisers on board by allowing the use of facillities and space ( eg hangar) for their social events.

it works well for a couple of airstrips here in devon but a third place that ignores/ slightly hostile to the neighbours always has objectors and planning difficulties.

hoping that is not teaching granny to suck eggs

The Fixer
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by The Fixer »

RONA,
Can you clarify the current status of the Airfield? I also read the article in the WT regarding the pads, hangars etc what is the situation with this?? i know people who were looking at basing aircraft at EINC but wont do anything until all this is cleared up!

Can you comment on same? Dont want another Trevet.... The field looks great and fair play to all the work that has been put in.

John Nugent
Unverified User
Unverified User

Fixer

Post by John Nugent »

````````````````````````````````
Last edited by John Nugent on Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Fixer
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by The Fixer »

It was a Wicklow County Council query really regarding the planning not a RONA one :!:

hibby
Verified User
Verified User

Post by hibby »

The Fixer wrote:Can you comment on same? Dont want another Trevet.... The field looks great and fair play to all the work that has been put in.

I see your comment about Trevet - what's the story there? I'm not trying to make mischief by asking the question; I genuinely don't know anything about it.

I'd love to see a thriving GA airfield at Newcastle and hope to visit it one day. But there is a certain head-in-the-sand attitude or bravado on display here that gives me cause to worry...

We're all on the same side here, remember.

lazza
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by lazza »

I'd love to see a thriving GA airfield at Newcastle and hope to visit it one day. But there is a certain head-in-the-sand attitude or bravado on display here that gives me cause to worry...

We're all on the same side here, remember.[/quote]

This reminds me of when I worked in London and English people would constantly say 'ooohh, I'd love to go to ireland but have never made it' at the time it was a £70 flight for 50 minutes, hardly beyond the grasp of the masses..

Why don't you actually go down to the airfield and see what is going on, surely it is you who is burying your head in the sand by not visiting and seeing what is going on first hand??

The airfield was taken over early last summer and was very busy for the first few months until the drainage caught up. The drainage has now been sorted out and their is a lot of flying happening on a daily basis.

More aircraft are due in this week as the drainage has been sorted once and for all. If you took the time to go to the airfield you would see these 'developments' that the council are complaining about and you would also see why the IAA gave the new owner an airfield license.

The airfield needs the support of all pilots but most weeks it's the same faces helping out trying to make it better for all. Why not actually get on the side rather than just stating that 'we're all on the same side'??

hibby
Verified User
Verified User

Post by hibby »

lazza wrote:Why don't you actually go down to the airfield and see what is going on, surely it is you who is burying your head in the sand by not visiting and seeing what is going on first hand??

The airfield was taken over early last summer and was very busy for the first few months until the drainage caught up. The drainage has now been sorted out and their is a lot of flying happening on a daily basis.
[...]
The airfield needs the support of all pilots but most weeks it's the same faces helping out trying to make it better for all. Why not actually get on the side rather than just stating that 'we're all on the same side'??

What kind of support is needed? I'd be happy to take up the invitation to call in for a visit.

lazza
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by lazza »

As John said, drop in any day, Saturdays and Sundays are busiest, Jenny provides free tea and coffee on sundays, you have to serve your self all other days :D

The Fixer
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by The Fixer »

http://www.wicklowpeople.ie/news/aerodr ... 97152.html

Sad to see and looks like it will end in tears!!

As i would love to see this airfield work long term i dont think the truth has been told from the start and this situation will leave alot of people who have aircraft based at EINC exposed.

John Nugent
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by John Nugent »

Maybe your right L .............
there no support here
good luck lads

Pilot
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Pilot »

RONA,

At don't be too upset ;) There is plenty of support here for Newcastle. I for one intend to visit the next day I go flying ;)

Perhaps you could send out a flyer to the various flying club/airport for their notice board, letting people know that Newcastle is open for business.

If it wasn't for the posts here, I would have though that it was still closed for visitors. It might help increase your traffic ;)

Wishing Newcastle the best of luck navigating the planning laws. I hope you are successful and get to keep the field open to all.

P

mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mark »

RONA,

You know there is lots of support for Newcastle here. For anyone who has not heard / knows nothing about Newcastle, you can CLICK HERE to read an article about the airfield that was published in FlyingInIreland Magazine during the summer.

I would strongly encourage people to drop in and say hello (even by road) and show your support for the airfield.

Regards,
Mark

John Nugent
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by John Nugent »

`Mark your a good guy
But as 1 of my guys said all this is a slag match.
Hey i am to busy for that
I need support and pilots not dreamers
Good luck
John Nugent EINC