Newcastle

This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

furball
Unverified User
Unverified User

Re: Newcastle

Post by furball »

Are there any companies or clubs based out of Newcastle providing PPL training? I live in Dublin south and Newcastle would be a handy place to learn.

Thanks in advance.

C152
Verified User
Verified User

Post by C152 »

Like the new bird John, what does she run on :wink:

Joe McDermott
Verified User
Verified User

Charity Fly-In 26th September

Post by Joe McDermott »

Full details of this EINC event can be viewed in the Events section of the Forum.

Joe

RV BLUE
Verified User
Verified User

Post by RV BLUE »

While home in Ireland last weekend I had the pleasure of visiting Newcastle. We were given a tour by John, and I cannot say enough about him and his plans for the future. It'll be my stop any time I'm in town. Shame Im not in town for this weekends event. The best of luck with it.

Happy Landings

C152
Verified User
Verified User

Post by C152 »

Now remember Boy's and Girl's this Fly in is Saturday and Sunday and it's now just about stuffing your face in the new coffee shop, there will be people there like the British Police to explain the procedures in flying to the UK, plus static displays and aerial one's and lot's of free goodies, plus you might meet John and his new bird Olivia (Ollie) :shock: so come along to one of the most progressive airfields in the country you might learn something new

michael747
Verified User
Verified User

Post by michael747 »

Looking forward to it. Hope to be there at 9am till midday
Regards,
M747
:D

cubpilot
Verified User
Verified User

Post by cubpilot »

I plan to venture over from UK on saturday with the cruisemaster prob arrive late am.

cubpilot
Verified User
Verified User

Post by cubpilot »

I plan to venture over from UK on saturday with the cruisemaster prob arrive late am.

C152
Verified User
Verified User

Post by C152 »

Well done John on a well organised Fly-in great crowd on Sunday both public and aircraft and some great displays

alphaLaura
Verified User
Verified User

Post by alphaLaura »

Brilliant day John - hope you relaxed last night after a successful day.

Great flying and showing off of course :D

That guy with tea/coffee van could have hurried up a bit though...
The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no.
I OWN THE SUN

damienair
Verified User
Verified User

Post by damienair »

The flight went brilliantly. I left home at 7am and arrived at the airfield at 7.30. I was expecting a friend of mine to arrive at 9am for a flight for his two sons. So I started setting up the wing for the Pegasus XL at 7.45, this was my first time to build the wing on my own. I had loads of help previously from Michael and Paul and always thought it to be complicated and a two man job. I could not lift the wing out on my own from the hanger, but luckily there was a four tundra wheeled trailer in the hanger, so I put a pallet across the top of it and lifted the wing in the bag up onto the trailer and pulled it out on the grass. I used my instruction book and bit by bit assembled the wing on my own. An hour later the trike was connected and the engine started. I was chuffed with myself, an hour for my first attempt. I then got my Skyranger ready for my friends kids and refuelled the XL and the Skyranger. However my friend and his two boys never turned up. Michael arrived shortly afterwards and we were ready to go flying at 11am. A friend of mine Adam, the guy I bought the Pegasus XL from arrived then in his C42, After aborting his first approach he landed on the second attempt, very tough strip, less than 200 metres usable. After a quick chat off we went, our route took us from Enfield south around the Dublin zone at 48mph , Allenwood, Naas, Blessington, most of it done below 1000 ft and in over the Dublin Wicklow Mountains at 3,500 ft landing in Newcastle just over an hour later. The flight over the mountains was rough, my arms were pulled out of their sockets on a couple of occasions. Newcastle was a gorgeous airfield, full cafe open all weekend , the airfield lies right along the coast line, make this a stop off point, absolutely beautiful friendly airfield.After being fed and watered we departed 2 hours later, just before the SAR heli arrived, flying south along the coast over Wicklow and Arklow before turning west for Hacketstown, Carlow, Athy and then into Limetree where I did a flight check for a X-Air following a permit renewal. Following that we took off and flew the last leg of 40 minutes home again. I had a brilliant day, because of no GPS i got temorarily unsure of my location on a couple of occasions, but found my way back on track. I definately need to spend more time practicing my Nav, I got spoilt with the AvMap IV over the past 3 years in the Skyranger.
So in the end I logged 4 and a half hours in the XL, and 30 minutes in a 582 powered X-Air. Yesterday my arms, chest and stomach were aching, I fealt as though I'd just done 1000 push up's. I adored it, and am getting used to flexy flying now. I am like a little boy with a new toy. The Pegasus XL is wonderful fun, cheap aviation to the core, the whole day only cost me € 40. That's what Microlighting is all about. The friends you make and the experiences you share together. As Michael said, it is days like these which will permanetely stay over on the happy memory side of the brain. That day we flew over rivers, lakes, mountains, the Irish sea, beaches, valleys , beautiful villages and small airfields, met old friends and new friends. We gave each other a hand to de-rig with help from the cars head lights and drove off at 9pm. When I got home I was exhausted and felt like one of the first aviators, complete with oil stains across my hands and face. I was exhausted but on a real high. It was a fantastic day out. And I totally agree with alphaLaura, the guy in the coffee van should just bring a big pot of boiling water and instant coffee the next time, I never saw as many levers being pulled and things being banged around before in my life, 10 minutes for two coffee's.
Thanks John and all involved in Newcastle, I will be back again soon.

Damien.
Pegasus XL 462
PILOTS are just PLANE people with a special AIR about them

C152
Verified User
Verified User

Post by C152 »

Alphalaura, Damienair I thought you guy's where pilots, maybe nav is not the strongest but Mr Nugent being the perfect host had his new coffee shop as crew only serving free tea and coffee :oops: to pilots with no Q's

Joe McDermott
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Joe McDermott »

True C152 ! He also kept Mick Nolan/ATC & the guys from "Follow Me - Aircraft Marshalls" supplied with hot grub throughout the day. Well done "Bisto" for the breckfast rolls & to Ross O'Kane who traded-in his EC130 copter for a 6 wheel food delivery buggy for the day ! :D

Joe

Derek Warren
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Derek Warren »

A big thank you to Dave Scully & Johnny Nugent and the extended team for a brillant day. My son attends the charity and was made most welcome by all at Newcastle and the Coastguard and Garda crews.

I know where to go now at the weekends.

Derek Warren