Newcastle

This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

cleared to land
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by cleared to land »

Is EINC open to the public or is it still closed to visitors while the work is ongoing. I've always wanted to flyin there.

C152
Verified User
Verified User

Post by C152 »

Dropped in on Saturday, what a friendly bunch. Great improvements sitting there in the sun shine drinking coffee watching more aircraft movements in 1 hour than I have seen in seven years. Fair play to John Nugent and the guy's. At least 8 aircrat and a couple of heli's now based there.

KeithT
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by KeithT »

Everything sounds great about the new EINC.
Does anyone have a contact number for anyone there, or would it be worthwhile taking a drive down and dropping in for a chat? This is one Strip I have always wanted to fly into :D

hum
Verified User
Verified User

Post by hum »

''
Last edited by hum on Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

KeithT
Unverified User
Unverified User

Re: Contact details

Post by KeithT »

hum wrote:http://www.newcastleairfield.com/

Lurvly, thanks 8)

ei6265
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by ei6265 »

Does anyone have a contact email address for John Nugent by any chance?

Please PM if you do.

Thanks

mr crow
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by mr crow »

Last edited by mr crow on Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EI1830
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by EI1830 »

I hope it all works out for John. I fear however that this is not going to be an easy transition...

This web address that is on his signage for example: www.newcastleairdrome.com

I called in on the previous owner several times over the years and this was his single biggest problem.

I feel after visiting the new setup and chatting to JN that NIMBY neighbours could be the yea or nay for the whole enterprise.

Let's hope it works out...

KeithT
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by KeithT »

"Flying is for the birds"

:shock: :? :evil:

John Nugent
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by John Nugent »

M M
Last edited by John Nugent on Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mr crow
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by mr crow »

Last edited by mr crow on Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

j3cub

Post by j3cub »

Post Removed

tiny
Unverified User
Unverified User

Its Not Over Till The Fat Lady Sings!!!!!

Post by tiny »

j3cub wrote:Pity as the lads seemed to have done great work up till now.

Any other side to it?

Hey
They are still working on it down there.... Everything else is perfect, just need to sort out the runway now. The issue is something got to do with the tide, and a week or so ago we had the high tide of the year (or something like that) and the issue is with the water not being able to flow back to the sea when the tide subsides....

I know a farmer a few fields over lost a cow from the same tide!!!!

It is being used by helicopters but the "Plan" is in place to get the runway operational for fixed wings asap.....

Watch this space......

Great facility, Great location, Keep up the good work John

Tiny

StrikeCommand
Verified User
Verified User

Post by StrikeCommand »

Self -delusion seems to be rampant.
The Dublin -Wexford railway line is between EI NC and the sea. This was built on a man-made embankment in the 19th Century which effectively cut off and re-directed natural outlets to the sea from the small rivers/streams in the area.The only gap in this embankment between The Murrough (Wicklow Town) and Greystones (Three Trouts Stream) is at The Breaches. The winds and tides combine to block this outlet with huge amounts of shingle. The river which makes its way through Newcastle village to the sea at The Breaches has to make a 90 degree turn (Northwards) and run parallel to the railway embankment before it can get to The Breaches. This means that there is no direct flow path and insufficient momentum to keep the outlet clear. The natural order is for the sea to block the outlet - keeping it open is a man made affair. The previous airfield owner made heroic efforts to keep The Breaches open - with no help from anyone (Wicklow County Council, OPW, etc)- and in so doing prevented flooding upstream and closer to the village - for which he got no thanks from anyone. One should also bear in mind that it's not in the interests of certain people to have this kept open - ref "disadvantaged areas" - wouldn't be disadvantaged if the problem was solved! The previous owner had also installed non-return flap valves in the drainage ditches which prevented back flow of water onto the airfield.

j3cub

Post by j3cub »

Post Removed