Newcastle

This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

C152
Verified User
Verified User

Newcastle

Post by C152 »

The airfield is under going a face lift at the moment 3 heli-pads have been built and there are plans a foot for new hangarage. The licence holder for the airfield is now a local man but with all good things in GA the Nimby's have already started complaining :roll:. Let's hope the upgrading goes ahead as planned

stovepipe
Verified User
Verified User

Post by stovepipe »

Hi there
Before you criticise the locals, why don't you do a little digging and find out why the locals are pissed off.It might be to do with the acts or actions of some of the local aviators.Pilots can be their own worst enemies when it comes to getting on with the people who live near airfields.
Apart from that, with an elevation of a foot, how do you propose to keep the airfield dry?
regards
Stovepipe

mr crow
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by mr crow »

Last edited by mr crow on Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

j3cub

Post by j3cub »

Post Removed

ei6265
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by ei6265 »

This is fantastic news. I heard on the mill that Mr Hopkins was no longer running the strip and was hoping the new owners would give it a facelift.

Cant wait to see the progress made when I get back.. C152, Im going to assume youre local enough to the area; if you happen to visit the strip any chance youd take a few pics and send them on? Id love to see how it develops. :)

mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mark »

Lads,

There will be an article in the August issue of the magazine about EINC. It was supposed to by published last month but was left out due to editorial constraints. The article documents the changes to date, future plans and photographs of all the improvements.

Mark

stovepipe
Verified User
Verified User

Post by stovepipe »

Hi there
I've been to Newcastle quite a few times and have seen plenty of water on it.I've flown on and off of it a couple of times...I'm perfectly aware also of Holland's low elevation and I also know that your defences aren't a patch on theirs.It wasn't only the runway that was wet, either.By and by, I'll believe it when I see it.
regards
Stovepipe

lazza
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by lazza »

The runway is as perfect as grass strips get. I dropped out their earlier this week and although we've have heavy rain for the last month the surface is not soggy.

As mentioned in a previous post, the problem was that the flood gates(or whatever) were not being opened. I've been operating out of there since the day it was taken over and as soon as eric was gone the water problem was effectivly gone.

The place looks great, and the only problem with the locals was the carry on of the ex-owner. There was never a problem with aviators aviating, just one sad old aviator, after all, no one was let aviate out of the place.

The locals are complaing because they think their is going to be a runway extension to bring the airport up to dublin size!

stovepipe
Verified User
Verified User

Post by stovepipe »

I strongly suggest that the new owners get proactive in assuring the locals that it will not be host to commercial traffic and that pilots will avoid noise-sensitive houses and give due consideration to local concerns.Helicopters are an especial concern of non-aviating locals as they, in my experience, hate the noise and hate having heli pilots fly low over their houses.
All the best to the new owners.
PS: don't mention the previous owner by name or deed.
regards
Stovepipe

Pilot
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Pilot »

Is Newcastle now effectively open for visiting aircraft again?

hum
Verified User
Verified User

Post by hum »

:?
Last edited by hum on Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

C152
Verified User
Verified User

Post by C152 »

The locals where not annoyed with pilots but by the building of a house and other work which required large trucks to go down a very narrow lane causing damage to the surface :oops: . I believe a John Nugent who is involded in the airfield has invited any locals to visit the airfield which is good to see, look forward to the article and good to see the airfield put to use

Joe McDermott has photo's of the place on www.worldairpics.com

hum
Verified User
Verified User

Post by hum »

Last edited by hum on Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lambada Crazy
Verified User
Verified User

nc

Post by Lambada Crazy »

whats the condition of the runway, what length is it? is there any PPR required before flying in there?

LC
When a flight is proceeding incredibly well, something was forgotten.

ei6265
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by ei6265 »

Just saw the aerial view of the field on that website and my god it looks fantastic! Great job by the new owners!

Few Qs if anyone knows;

How many aircraft are currently based there and is there opportunities to base a/c there?

Do the new owners plan on keeping (or at least trying to keep) the field operational during the Winter?

For years Ive imagined what the place would be like under new ownership and the second I leave the country it happens! :(