This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

Thomas Reinicke
Unverified User
Unverified User

Flying in ireland coming from germany

Post by Thomas Reinicke »

Hello,
my name is Thomas Reinicke and I come from germany.(Wismar, northern germany) I would like to fly to Ireland in august and also stay some days in U.K. My airplane is a CT and in germany certified as microlight. I am owner of a microlight-licens as well as a PPL A JAR-FCL.

I send any email to CAA.u.k. and IAA.i.e.to get permission for flying microlight, but there come no answer up to now.
To call good english language is not so easy for me. I understand more if I read the english language . I speak only badly english and only very simply and understand not very much at the telephone. Therefore I try to write rather than call the authority by phone. (however I work on it! )

I want only stay one day in U.K.on the way to Irish country and back again .Everything is dependent on the weather, naturaly.
My microlith is a CT-short wing. In U.K. it´s a LSA , I think.
I ordered ICAO-map for U.K. and Jeppesen for Ireland and Bottlang Airefield Manual for both countries as well as the UK VFR Flight Guide, but I dit not receive it yet. I did not make a route already yet.
Do someone know microlith fields in the north of ireland, nearby Letterkenny and Donegal ? Can someone tell me why there comes no answer from english and irish authorit for get permission ?

regards

Thomas Reinicke

thomas@naturbaustoffe-wismar.de

Papa8
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Papa8 »

I am sure you will get an answer from one of the Donegal-based microlighters as well as some response from the IAA/CAA in due course if your English was intelligible. There are several fields but why not just flyinto the licensed field in Letterkenny? Naturally good spoken English is important for radiotelephony which you will have to do at various stages (perhaps you will have a co-pilot with good English) and although I am not a qualified PPL I would worry about travelling through that much airspace with a low quality of spoken English.
It only takes two things to fly:--- airspeed and money.

Papa8
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Papa8 »

Hi Thomas,

I found this pdf which might help. Lots of good stuff actually for anyone wanting to fly microlights internationally.

http://www.wfaec.org.uk/files/flying_in ... olight.pdf

Also some details of two microlight friendly airfields in the good airfield guide on that website.

Bluebeard
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Bluebeard »

That's a useful summary of the different country requirements as they apply to permit-to-fly aircraft generally, although some of the info seems to be not altogether accurate.

Does the IAA really charge a fee of eur80 for a foreign microlight to visit Ireland?? :shock:

Papa8
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Papa8 »

I certainly wouldn't go looking for the AOPA Fly-in Ireland either. That thing was full of errors. Haven't heard of the €80 fee either before!

Thomas Reinicke
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Thomas Reinicke »

Hello Papa8,
Thank you for information(www.....) but I already knew. I´m in contact with John Lloyd (the author of "Flying Abroad by Microlight").Yes, the booklet is very helpful !
I think my letters and emails was intelligible. I wanted to sday only: It´s not so easy to speak to an authority by phone, because english is not my mother tongue and I hardly speak english last time.
I was abroad the last years by my microlight, but never in a country the mother tongue is english. Radiotelephone in phrases ( for pilots ) is more easily than to speak ( e.g. speak in coherence to laws ) with an authority by phone. I heard of the experience of other pilots, that the IAA and CAA do not respond very quickly to letter or emails. Thus is now happens to me.
Well, I will be patient.

Thomas Reinicke