This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

Conor1
Unverified User
Unverified User

Microlights

Post by Conor1 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:54 pm

Hello.
I've always had an interest in microlights and would love to build my own one. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions on this? Thanks.

DonalMW
Verified User
Verified User

Post by DonalMW » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:01 pm

Yet another post which would be better suited for my proposed "Microlight section"

Pardon the thread hijack,
Last edited by DonalMW on Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nanolight
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Nanolight » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:22 pm

Conor the helicopter forum mighn't the be best place to go looking for advise on microlights!

Lots of people have done it (even one or two of the forum members here I believe) and I am sure you will have no problem getting help. Start by looking at www.nmai.ie and you will get other links from there as well.

The X-Air is a popular choice for the first time builder and there's a guy in Donegal who imports the kits and he could probably give you advise as well.

http://www.xairireland.com/
Last edited by Nanolight on Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

DonalMW
Verified User
Verified User

Post by DonalMW » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:25 pm

Nano, irishmicrolights link is dead.....

Nanolight
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Nanolight » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:26 pm

Just copped that Donal, they must have wound it up.

*post edited*

Pity really, I got all my info on microlighting when I was first interested in getting into it from that website :(
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

DonalMW
Verified User
Verified User

Post by DonalMW » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:46 pm

Yea, a shame...

Conor1 where is your location?? That might help us point you in the right direction....

damienair
Verified User
Verified User

Post by damienair » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:24 am

Hello Conor,

Firstly I would advise you to take your time and really research the Microlight Kits on the Market at present. There are loads of different models out there to suit loads of different wallets. The most popular models are X-Air standard kit and the new X-Air Hawk, Skyranger, Rans S6, C42, Shadow, Letov Sluka, Land Africa, Savannah, Medways SLA Executive, Thruster, Escapades and Easy Raiders, Eurostar, and Lambada's, and Samba's.
So as you can see there are loads to choose from and the list I have given you is only the tip of the Iceburg. Never mind all the weightshift kits on the market. Also an important factor to look at is what type of flying you want to do. If you want to do a lot of touring to the UK and Europe, then some models will suit better than others. If on the otherhand you are interested in touring around Ireland only, then again some models will again suit better for flying around Ireland. A slower machine is sometimes better for touring around Ireland, cheaper to build and maintain and allows you to spend more time in the air and put more hours in the log book, after all thats what its all about.
Also have a look at www.bmaa.org where you will get a lot of information on different types.
I personnally own a Skyranger 912S and I am based in an airfield where there is a Thruster, C42, X-Air Hawk and X-Airs. Please feel free to send me a Private message on the forum and I would love to give you a tour of the hanger and show you some of the aircraft. There is also a half built kit there also, just in production. If the weather suits you might also get a flight.

Kindest regards,
Damien.
Pegasus XL 462
PILOTS are just PLANE people with a special AIR about them

jonkil
Verified User
Verified User

Post by jonkil » Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:22 pm

Good advice already expressed.
Personally speaking, only build if you really want the experience. There is a lot of stuff out there already built and ready to go.... you will be un-able to build a kit and finish it to a degree for the price you can buy a ready to fly plane for. The paperwork can be a pain too....... X-airs are a good entry level machine and an excellent touring plane for Ireland.
I am based in the North West, in Donegal...We have lots of different types at our club..... if you are anywhere near me then send me a PM too, I will gladly take you for a flight anytime. You will generally find the microlight people a very friendly and helpful bunch so ask away at any questions, better still, turn up at your local airfield and talk to based pilots there.
More advice can be found on http://www.nmai.ie where you can join the on-line forums also.

Jon
C42 912s