This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

mixturerich
Verified User
Verified User

Consuming Passions : Plane Crazy - on RTE One Wednesday 9th

Post by mixturerich »

Hi Folks,

RTE One (TV) are advertising a programme called "Consuming Passions" starting tomorrow Wednesday 9th July, at 19.00 for 1/2 hour.

The first programme in the series is entitled Plane Crazy - It is a documentary series introducing people with unusual hobbies.

The series takes off with the amateur aviators who have a passion for flying light aircraft.

If I'm not mistaking, it includes a piece on Hum's Flying Cow?!!

Probably worth viewing,

Cheers,

Mixturerich.

Nanolight
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Nanolight »

Yes and Kevin Glynn and alphaLaura (with a cameo from Flyer 1 :))

See here:
http://www.flyinginirelandmagazine.com/ ... php?t=3388

There's a link to a preview in there as well.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Flyer1
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Flyer1 »

Autograph signings every Friday at 2pm !

Don't suppose anyone here could record it ? We're both out in Florida at the minute ( flying for €50 an hour ), but sadly RTE's transmissions won't reach the 4000 miles accross.

hum
Verified User
Verified User

See yourself on TV

Post by hum »

Brian, try this link

http://www.rte.ie/live/

Don't worry if you cannot get to see it, the producer said she will send a DVD of the programme to the stars... you are in...

Just found this link also which is a summary of the programme with a couple of photos of people you might recognise...

http://www.rte.ie/tv/consumingpassions/index.html

Flyer1
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Flyer1 »

Thanks for that Gerry, i'll try it on my laptop, Laura's doesn't seem to want to install RealPlayer - must be the 95 degree heat out.

Looks pretty good from the pictures, can't wait to see it :D

I guess it'll be back to the airport for a while...

OnTheNumbers
Verified User
Verified User

Post by OnTheNumbers »

That was really enjoyable!! I found myself laughing and nodding a number of times when our Superstars spoke about their passion for all things flying. Even Herself could see the common obsession.... right down to the drawing aeroplanes as a small child

To Gerry, Kevin, Laura and Brian; I couldn't have been happier with the producers' choice of ambassadors- well done to you all!

David
OnTheNumbers
-------------------------------------------------------
http://www.clearofcloud.ie
@clearofcloud on Twitter, Instagram

Papa8
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Papa8 »

Well done Gerry, Kevin, Laura and Brian.

I think you have all conveyed the ethos of flying admirably and the knock-on effect it will have as a primetime show will have as big an impact I think you could have for the GA scene in Ireland. I wonder what it would cost to have it on this site or have it available for sale from a pilot supplies site?

Laura's marker pens look like they could do with a little more colour however!! :D :D Only joking, EIWF-EIKK must be your most planned route at this stage.
Last edited by Papa8 on Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It only takes two things to fly:--- airspeed and money.

damienair
Verified User
Verified User

Post by damienair »

Congrats to Laura,Brian, Gerry and Kevin,

Consuming passions was excellent. My wife Nicola sat down beside me and watched it also, she looked at me several times through the program and said '' wow, your not the only one. There are more out there with the same sickness you have.''

I think I have the very same in common with all of you, wanted to fly before I could walk, got there , will never give it up and the next dream is my own strip and as Laura said, '' to be able to fly past my kitchen.'' I will keep playing the lotto.

Well done again, very enjoyable on this dark dreary summers evening.

Damien
Last edited by damienair on Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pegasus XL 462
PILOTS are just PLANE people with a special AIR about them

stovepipe
Verified User
Verified User

Post by stovepipe »

Excellent show! Well done to the heroes of the (1/2)hour,and the supporters, for conveying how much of a passion/obsession/lifestyle it all is.Brilliant camera work,too.
regards
Stovepipe :D

mosquito
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by mosquito »

I echo the sentiments in the above posts. Well done to all concerned. Really enjoyed the show..... maybe now the ''great unwashed'' amongst us will understand our consuming passion!! :P
Tally ho Tally ho!!!!

willo
Verified User
Verified User

Post by willo »

A credit to all, particularly the four of you. Great production, and well defined the obsession we have.

Hopefully, more people will become interested from the show and the community will grow larger.

Again well done to all, just now for the weather to clear & we can take to the air again.

Willo

hum
Verified User
Verified User

What about the carbon footprint???

Post by hum »

Thanks all, I must admit it came out better than I had expected - the Director Liz Gill and her team did a great job, very positive. I think my wife is going to kill me when she sees it though - they were not supposed to put in the bit about how frightening she is...

You can't please everyone however, I just got off the phone with some old dear who was very concerned... wanted us to know that we were ruining the planet and enquired what our carbon footprint was... I assured her we all burnt unleaded especially because it was kind to the environment and she seemed much happier... Lets stick to this line - OK??!!

OnTheNumbers
Verified User
Verified User

Post by OnTheNumbers »

Yep 100LL ..... 100 'Lacking in' Lead!!
OnTheNumbers
-------------------------------------------------------
http://www.clearofcloud.ie
@clearofcloud on Twitter, Instagram

alphaLaura
Verified User
Verified User

Post by alphaLaura »

Thanks eveyone for watching! It was such an amazing opportunity to fly for the cameras.

I need new markers alright. And I've dug a hole in my chart along the EIWF - EIKK route!
The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no.
I OWN THE SUN

willo
Verified User
Verified User

Post by willo »

"wanted us to know that we were ruining the planet and enquired what our carbon footprint was"

Think some people probably took Kevin literally when he said people would burn €400 of fuel to get a free breakfast!!!!

Anyway, ordinary mogas it is. :wink:

W