Wind, Sand and Stars

This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

Sierra Papa
Unverified User
Unverified User

Wind, Sand and Stars

Post by Sierra Papa »

Wind, Sand and Stars is a title of a book by Antoine de Saint-Exupery, if you haven't read it yet it's a MUST. What a fantastis and philosophical approach to flying. I remember doing A Little Prince by the same author in school but no one mentioned this on at the time.

Would be interested what you think.

Regards. SP

buzz
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by buzz »

Yes indeed I have read 'Wind, Sun and Stars' also 'Flight to Arras'. Both of which I liberated from my brother in law's collection. 'Flight to Arras recollects his experience as a recce pilot in the Armee de 'air during the battle of France. It too is rather otherworldly. I never read the 'The Little Prince' or his 'Night Flight'.

'Wind, Sun and Stars' I found fascinating in that it has a commentary on the Arab mentality. Particularly the ultra conservative. Wahabbism. Who are contemptuous of the softer more moderate Muslims and the West. Which has resonance today because they are the source of Al Qaeda. Also interesting was the fact that slaves were still being kept by Arabs. St Exupery bought one and freed him.

Not to mention the flying.

I would like to read them in the original French though. Which of course means learning French.

Somehow I don't think someone like St Exupery would have become a pilot these days. He was a man of his time when flyers were adventurers and poets. You won't find many pilots like that anymore.

OnTheNumbers
Verified User
Verified User

Post by OnTheNumbers »

quote]He was a man of his time when flyers were adventurers and poets. You won't find many pilots like that anymore.[/quote]

I'm not so sure Buzz - aren't those still some of the reasons we become flyers.
OnTheNumbers
-------------------------------------------------------
http://www.clearofcloud.ie
@clearofcloud on Twitter, Instagram

hum
Verified User
Verified User

More good books

Post by hum »

Read a couple of great aviation books recently - each very different but both with a spirit of romance and adventure - poems too! Highly recommended:

'West into the Night' by Beryl Markham - a fascinating account of growing up and flying in East Africa in the 20s and 30s. I would love to have met her, from what I can find out she was quite a character! Met a lady recently whose husband was a pilot at the time in Nairobia and knew Berly - she was not as enthusiastic about Ms Markham as I was!! Seems like she had a lot in common with our own Lady Heath.

The other book that surprised me was 'Hostile Skies' by David Morgan - a very personal and forthright account of the Falklands war by a friend of mine. Highly recommended...

mosquito
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by mosquito »

''Into the Light'' by Geoffrey Wellum
''Fate is the Hunter'' by Ernest K Gann
''The Shepherd'' by Frederick Forsyth
Tally ho Tally ho!!!!

buzz
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by buzz »

I don't know, Onthenumbers. Pilots these days tend to be left brained. Aptitude tests for pilots tend to favour left brainers. The whole flying game is perfect for left brainers. Possibly there are a few creative types in the private pilot ranks. But the day of the pilot poets is mostly gone. Pilots are tending to become cockpit technicians. More likely to read 'Handling the big jets' than 'Wind, Sun and Stars'.

The St Exuperys, Ganns etc fading into history. Richard Bach's aviation books are excellent. But he's lost the plot and gone all methphysical recently. Witness his website.

http://www.richardbach.com/

What the?

Hum, yes I've been meaning to get 'West into the night'. There is a set of books all proper aviators should have in his/her collection. That's one. 'Into the light' is another. 'Sagittarius Rising' another.

Long distance flying has alway had a mild fascination to me. Born out my time, I think. I have been toying with the idea of ferry flying.

alphaLaura
Verified User
Verified User

Post by alphaLaura »

Try 'Flying The Alaskan Wild' by Mort Mason. Crazy stuff.
The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no.
I OWN THE SUN

Nanolight
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Nanolight »

mosquito wrote:''Into the Light'' by Geoffrey Wellum

I think you mean First Light. Tis a good book. Enemy Coast Ahead is a great book as well.

Chickenhawk is an excellent read though. It was printed in 1982 and hasn't been out of print since. It's a helicopter pilot's memoirs of the Vietnam war.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

shrtfld
Verified User
Verified User

Post by shrtfld »

I wish to make two recommendations.

My all time favourite is "Flight of Passage" by Rinker Buck. It tells the story of Rinker then aged 15 and his slightly older brother Kernhan who buy and restore a Super Cub and fly it non radio from New Jersey to California in 1966. An absolutely fantastic read. So realistic it puts you in the cockpit with them. Book features copies of newspaper cuttings covering the trip at the time. The motivation for the trip was so Kernhan could get his hours up so he could apply to do his CPL. A great way to do some hour building.

Another must for everyone is "Killing Zone". It is a review and analysis of GA accidents in the USA showing that the pilots most likely to be involved in such accidents are those with between 50 and 350 hours - hence the title- Killing Zone. It is scary.
Shrtfld

Sierra Papa
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Sierra Papa »

Thank you all for a great response to my post, I'm looking forward to some of the books you've talked about. I always thought that being an advenurer, poet goes well with being a pilot. There is something magical about flying and that's why we're up there in the sky fulfilling the mankind oldest dream - FLIGHT. I've been a pilot for less than two years and loved every second of any flight I've done. I guess my biggest adventure was flying over 45 hours in Cambodia, touring all sorts of peculiar places in an well aged C152.
I wish one day I'd become an aviator.

"There are certain rare individuals...who by the mere fact of their existence put an edge on life, their ceaseless astonishment before its possibilities awakening our own latent sense renewal and expectation...

Regards S.P.

willo
Verified User
Verified User

Post by willo »

All this talk of books about flying seems to be indicative of the lack of flying for us all!

Hopefully the weather will change soon & we cna get to the air and consign the literature chat until November!!

With you on "The Shepherd" though!

Cheers

Willo :lol: