This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

New EASA - Leisure Pilot Licence (LPL)

Post by mark » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:46 am

Hi lads,

On Tuesday, EASA released an NPA (Notice of Proposed Amendment) to change the licence system in Europe which has been governed by JAR up to now. The NPA is 647 pages long. From flicking through it very briefly it appears that the major change is the Leisure Pilot Licence which could be a great step forward for the sport.

To view the entire NPA for aviation throughout Europe you can visit here: http://www.easa.europa.eu/ws_prod/r/r_npa.php

The section that applies to Pilot Licencing is NPA 2008-17B which can be downloaded from http://www.easa.europa.eu/ws_prod/r/doc ... 08-17b.pdf

I would be very interested to hear peoples views on the proposed new regulations.

Regards,
Mark

OnTheNumbers
Verified User
Verified User

Post by OnTheNumbers » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:38 pm

This NPA also incorporates the instruction for remuneration for PPL holders

(a) The privileges of the holder of a PPL(A) are to act without remuneration as pilotincommand or copilot of aeroplanes engaged in non-commercial operations.
(b) Notwithstanding the paragraph above, the holder of a PPL(A) may receive remuneration for the provision of flight instruction for the LPL(A) or the PPL(A).
OnTheNumbers
-------------------------------------------------------
http://www.clearofcloud.ie
@clearofcloud on Twitter, Instagram

Flyer1
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Flyer1 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:58 pm

It's been a long time a comin, all good news by the looks so far. Must have a proper look through it later on in the day.

Don't like the look of this bit " n local flights within no more than 50 km from the
aerodrome of departure, with no intermediate landings, and when, taking into account the
conditions of flight, the pilot is always able to return to the aerodrome of departure. "

Pilot
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Pilot » Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:30 pm

Flyers1,

I think that bit refects to a half way house. The full LPL will allow normal PPL stuff. But before getting there, you get this sort of 1/2 LPL (I'm sure there is a better name for it!) which allows limited PIC privlidges.

I also understand that you will be allowed to revalidate your PPL like we do at present (minimum number of hours etc, plus one hour with an instructor, OR with an examiner. However the sting comes in that at least every third revalidation must be with an examiner. I'm sure it won't be a problem for most people, but they might not like the costs!

P

hibby
Verified User
Verified User

Post by hibby » Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:57 pm

It's called a "Basic LPL(A)".

The corresponding section for the full LPL(A) is as follows:
The privileges of the holder of a LPL for aeroplanes are to fly single engine piston aeroplanes or TMG with a maximum certificated takeoff mass of 2000 kg or less, carrying a maximum of 3 passengers, such that
there are never more than 4 persons on board of the aircraft.

Lionel Hutz
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Lionel Hutz » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:40 pm

The name needs to be changed. Having leisure in the title will allow aviation's enemys' which sometimes include regulators, to both lobby against and curtail its Privileges.

Example:

If there were such a thing as a Leisure Driving licence then it would be easy for someone to argue that these drivers' should be barred from the road during rush hour, using the argument that they are only driving for leisure.

I am much more in favour of calling it the 'Light Aircraft Pilot Licence'

Niall
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Niall » Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:38 pm

Unfortunately the name won't change, but it's a fair point, LAPL would be better.

Here's a summary of the licences:

Basic LPL (BLPL):
(1) 10 hours of dual instruction;
(2) 4 hours of supervised solo flight time;
(3) 3 hours of navigation training.
+ 3 hours to make 20 hrs

Aerobatics, night rating and tailwheel are permitted. That's a significant improvement on the PPL(M).

Restrictions are SEP <= 2000kg, 1 pax, flying no more than 50km from home base, no landing at other airfields, no specific vis restrictions except 'when, taking into account the conditions of flight, the pilot is always able to return to the aerodrome of departure,' which could mean anything. There are no horsepower or speed restrictions.

LPL(A):
Equivalent to BLPL + 10 extra hours of instruction, same as LPL except that the 50km, landaway and 1 pax restrictions are removed. So it's a PPL for aircraft <=2000kg. Again, no horsepower or speed restrictions.

PPL(A):
No changes to the current regs.

Personally I'll be opting for the LPL(A) as I'm not interested in flying multis, TPs or heavier aircraft. Also, it saves me @ €2000 in flight training costs.

Having leisure in the title will allow aviation's enemys' which sometimes include regulators, to both lobby against and curtail its Privileges.

EASA are the regulators, and they're making the rules. Believe me, this is all great news. Also, NPA 2008-17C details medical changes. No Class 2 required for the LPL, only a GP examination and declaration.

The changes will become law in early March 2009. Fantastic news!

MCRO
Unverified User
Unverified User

EASA's Leisure Pilot Licence

Post by MCRO » Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:18 pm

This is certainly the the most huge Licensng event for the Private Sector since ICAO came to Dublin in 1945 to work out their Technical Annexes

This licence carries PPL privileges as we know them within EU - and may be used as a PPL elsewhere with local consent

No-one should condemn it as Mickey-Mouse without first reading the 700+ pages in the NPA

Maurice

Raven 912
Verified User
Verified User

Medicals

Post by Raven 912 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:54 am

Although this NPA is very welcome throughout the EU I think we should view it with caution. Take a look at this for instance.

LPL medical certificates shall be issued by an AeMC, an AME or, if permitted under national law, by a general medical practitioner (GMP).

Is it permitted under Irish law. The IAA may argue that it is not.
This is only one area that stands out.

We should all study the relevant NPA's carefully and co-ordinate our replies. 5 years on EMF has taught me not to take any of these documents at face value.

Maybe it's a job for NASRAv or NACI. NMAI are already working on it with EMF.

It is great news but it is not done and dusted. This is the time for you to have your say. Choose your replies carefully. When this is implemented in Jan 2010 it will be too late to complain.

All the best
Paul

**PS Take a look at the EMF letter in this issue.

Gally2
Verified User
Verified User

Re: New EASA - Leisure Pilot Licence (LPL)

Post by Gally2 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:06 pm

What FTOs in Ireland train students for the LPL (A) ??

mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mark » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:47 pm

Hi Gally2,

The short answer in none of them at the moment. All of the Irish schools/clubs (and most around Europe) are still operating as FTO's or RTF's under the old system.They are not allowed to instruct for the LAPL until they become an ATO under the new system. To process to become an ATO is long-winded and very few schools around Europe have made the jump. The UK CAA are working on a streamlined process to get existing schools approved, hopefully this will be done at European level and will help with the approval of our clubs and schools.

Regards,
Mark
Regards,
Mark Dwyer
www.flyinginireland.com

------------------------------------------------
FlyingInIreland.com:- THE Resource for Irish Aviation Information

noelma
Verified User
Verified User

Post by noelma » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:56 pm

Hi all,
Just thought I'd keep this alive! So long (7 years?) since we heard the new LPL was being introduced, but here we are well into 2015 and no sign of it!
Why such little appetite for this? What was EASA's motive in introducing it if the ATO restriction was effectively going to scupper the plan?
Any thoughts?

mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mark » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:09 pm

Hi Noelma,

Interesting time to bring this up. The UK's Red Tape Challenge two years ago identified serious over regulation in General Aviation. As a result the UK CAA setup the "General Aviation Unit" at Gatwick made up of experts with extensive GA experience. Their objectives are:

- Only regulate directly when necessary and do so proportionately;
- Deregulate where we can;
- Delegate where appropriate;
- Do not gold-plate, and quickly and efficiently remove gold-plating that already
exists;
- Help create a vibrant and dynamic GA sector in the UK.

Certainly a refreshing approach. Around the same time Patrick Ky took over at EASA and has accepted that General Aviation is over regulated and that the bureaucracy has to be reduced. Regulation 1178/2011 (The Aircrew Regulation) is being revised to hopefully bring back some vibrance to GA. There are currently a few NPA's that have been published (https://easa.europa.eu/document-library ... -amendment) for interested parties to comment on. If you feel you want an input into what is happening, now is your opportunity. The deadline has already been extended once.

In parallel, the IAA are looking at some of the issues at national level. I was at a meeting last week with the IAA where we were briefed on a possible "National LAPL" to cater for Annex II aircraft (Microlights, Vintage and Homebuilts). IAA Aeronautical Notice P.24 is due to be revised shortly with a consultation to take place in the coming weeks.

So hopefully things are slowly starting to move in the right direction but there's a long way to go yet.
Regards,
Mark Dwyer
www.flyinginireland.com

------------------------------------------------
FlyingInIreland.com:- THE Resource for Irish Aviation Information