EI-ABI

This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

Tony Kearns
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Tony Kearns »

I understand that Chipmunk 168 would need a respar job costing a fair amount of money and The Cadet had a magneto problem. At least we can see them but not EI-ABI at DAP and it was acquired by Aer Lingus when it was owned by the taxpayer.The aircraft at Baldonnel Museum are maintained in far better condition than when we almost lost our aviation heritage when dumped at Castlemote House.
Tony K

stovepipe
Verified User
Verified User

Post by stovepipe »

Hi Tony
Every flying civvie Chipmunk has had the spar mod (and the other expensive mods) done by now, so the expertise and the tools are widely available.Chippies are rock-simple to maintain.The only reason it's not flying is that the will is not there, in Finance(the real power in the DoD, not the soldiers), to spend money on military heritage(unless you're at the Battle of the Boyne site,or suchlike)so a heritage flight is a very,very remote possibility.Should MW try for a Lotto grant for the Museum? If he hasn't already? If the Iolar was in Baldonnel, it would only be accessible to a narrow range of people, such as interested parties like you, as opposed to the general public, so the effective gain wouldn't be worth the effort of shipping it to Baldonnel.All I can suggest is that you enquire of our Chief Engineer, as the hangar is in his remit.
regards
Mick

Comet
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Comet »

Hi Guys
I know that the present Iolar is not the original but does anybody know what happend to the first EIABI and how long did Aer Lingus have it for?
Cheers

buzz
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by buzz »

I'm sure Tony Kearns has more details but it was sold to Britain in 1938. Later it went missing during a flight to the Scilly Isles in 1941 believed to have been shot down by a Luftwaffe intruder believed to be operating in the area at the time.

Tony Kearns
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Tony Kearns »

It appears that the two Aircraft registered EI ABI were the subject of hostile encounters.
The first EI ABI reverted to its British reg G -ACPY in Feb 1938 . During a flight from the Scilly Is to Lands End on 3 June 1941, it was attacked and shot down into the sea by a Heinkel III , all were lost.
The second EI ABI apparently had an encounter with a hangar door at Dublin Airport. It is believed that the hangar door survived!
Tony K

buzz
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by buzz »

LOL, The 'new' EI-ABI: a victim of the Aerwaffe