Verified User

EI-ABI

Post by C152 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:07 pm

Does anyone know the where abouts of this aircraft and is she still flying :?:

Pilot
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Pilot » Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:42 pm

I think it's the one owned by Aer Lingus, which they have hangered at EIDW. If it's the same one, then they do bring it out for special occasions, and yes it is still flyable.

P

Tony Kearns
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Tony Kearns » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:32 pm

Two years ago I was led to believe that it was damaged while hangared and has not been repaired as yet. I would welcome confinfirmation of its status.
Tony K

Pilot
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Pilot » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:58 pm

If it's the same aircraft that I'm thinking of, then I know someone who's pretty close to it. I'll ask when I next speak to them ;)

P

stovepipe
Verified User
Verified User

Post by stovepipe » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:01 pm

Hi there
The "Iolar" has not been repaired and is not likely to be repaired any time soon.It is very occasionally taken out for an engine run( by the engineers, including me) but it is not flyable and the Company has shown no inclination to make it so.It is still parked in the Commuter hangar.
regards
Stovepipe

buzz
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by buzz » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:55 pm

In the brave new world of low cost Aer Lingus. Maybe they should sell it or give it someone who is prepared to look after it. It's a rare bird indeed. Christy Keane might be interested for his new museum at Weston. At least it would be hangared and flown then.

C152
Verified User
Verified User

Post by C152 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:07 am

Sad indeed maybe even the Air Corps might be interested, as long as she got a good home, as a country we are not very good at perserving our past :oops:

Tony Kearns
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Tony Kearns » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:15 pm

The people in Aer Lingus have their minds on other things. I think an appropriate location for EI-ABI would be the museum in Baldonnel. The original EI-ABI commenced operations from there in 1936 or it could be painted as the Air Corps version which was used as a target tug during the Emergency.
Tony K

N714GZ
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by N714GZ » Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:11 am

Is there room for in the museum Tony? Sure would be an ideal location. If it was repaired it would be another toy for Ralph to play with when he's not flying the cadet!

It's been a couple of years since I visited. Must arrange a trip in the near future. Is Mick Whelan still the man to contact?

On a similar subject, was the tail of Anson 141 ever repaired?

Tony Kearns
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Tony Kearns » Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:22 pm

I find a difficulty to reply to a number instead of a name, perhaps a PM would suffice! Don't know what the anonmity is all about especially when asked a question. Hoewver.
Yes, there would be room for the Dragon and it would be nice to see it there either as EI-ABI or as Air Corps 18 and suitablty camouflaged.
Mick Whelan is there and always ready and willing to assist. The Avro XIX is as you asked having the rudder repaired by the O.N.E. ex Air Corps techies who have volunteered and are doing fantastic work for Mick.
The correct designation for the aircraft involved ( No 141) is Avro XIX series I and not Anson 19. I do not want to be pedantic but it is important as the aircraft is now quite rare and I believe only two are airworthy ( perhaps reduced to one airworthy) It was of course always referred to as an Anson 19 and was referred to in Air Corps documentation as such including log books but Avro documentation clearly states Avro XIX
Tony K

lorax
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by lorax » Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:10 pm

Stovepipe
It is my understanding that air lingus engineers working on a voluntary basis originally restored the Iolar, do you think the necessary skills and spirit still exists, regarding the air corps, there are a number of people there who have been quietly restoring vintage airframes and engines to flying condition for a number of years

stovepipe
Verified User
Verified User

Post by stovepipe » Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:30 am

Hi there
It's not for want of effort to get the Company to part with funds to repair it, I can assure you.There's no shortage of expertise to do the jobs, either.I would be very loath to give it to the Air Corps as the aircraft has only a tenuous link to Baldonnel, whereas it has solid links to Aer Lingus, having flown on the Company's behalf.Also, the military bureaucracy can barely keep one historic aircraft airworthy(168 has been allowed to rot and the Avro Cadet is conspicuous by it's absence) whereas the Iolar had many years of flying done, on a semi-independent basis.In effect, the small coterie around the Iolar ran it quietly, cheaply and efficiently and did a great deal of low-key promotion for the company.
regards
Stovepipe

Bearcat
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Bearcat » Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:46 am

engineers in AL are flat out and I dont think have the time or patience at this juncture to get stuck into the iolar. Likewise the lads in SR are having a hard time and many of these guys would have been ex team.

Me thinks the co. have turned the screw too much and what good will there was has vanished.

Tony Kearns
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Tony Kearns » Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:13 pm

Mick " the small coterie around the Iolar" could still run it quietly, cheaply and efficiently if given the chance. As you say the expertise is there. We all know the position Aer Lingus are in and vintage aircraft is not a subject that is focusing their collective minds.
At least the aircraft in Baldonnel can be seen, but I cannot remember when I last saw the Iolar. I think it is a little unfair on Mick Whelan to suggest that the aircraft 168 in the museum is being allowed to "rot".Castlemote House still bring shivers down my spine.
Tony K

stovepipe
Verified User
Verified User

Post by stovepipe » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:49 am

Hi Tony
I'm not throwing a dig at Mick Whelan , who I know is giving his all.I have maximum respect for him... I remember 168 flying after strenuous effort from two certain men in Gormo and then seeing that effort squandered and the Chippie allowed to fall out of flying status (when it could easily and cheaply have been kept flyable).So, if the Don can allow a very low-tech, simple thing like a Chippie to degrade, how could they be given the "Iolar"?
What is the current status of the Avro cadet?
regards
Stovepipe