NEW FII WEBSITE

This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

ei6265
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by ei6265 »

It's looking good but to be honest Im not a fan of the green (background, nav bar or tables).. Green is a tough colour to get a good colour scheme with, which is visible with the header images; the colours on the majority of the images don't blend well with the rest of the site (with the exception of the Pilatus image maybe). I think you definitely have to get rid of the bright green background though - maybe try a light grey?

I reckon you should mess around with the CSS a bit and test out other colour schemes. That way, if things dont work its easy to revert to the green. I reckon a combination of light-blues and grey would go nicely.

Content is great though! :D

THIS_IS_AIRFIELD
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by THIS_IS_AIRFIELD »

Hi Mark,

One problem i encountered over the last while is logging in. I had the forum added in my favorites. This link was from the old website and while i was able to view the forum as a guest i could not log in.

To be able to log in I had to use the new forum link in the new website. Perhaps i'm just a bit slow but just in case others are having

problems. :roll:

mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mark »

Hi THIS_IS_AIRFIELD,

Are you still having these problems with the new setup?

Everyone else,

Finally got rid of the black background / white text problem! This upgrade has also sorted (I hope!) out any email / debug / PM problems. I'm still working off the default template but these colours will be altered slightly to match the rest of the site.

As we're effectively merging three pieces of software, there are going to be a few issues. About ~50 usernames did not transfer correctly, mainly because they were using illegal characters such as ',-. etc. If you're having any problems logging in please email me and I'll make neccessary changes. Please don't try reregister.

All registered users are now automatically registered on the photo gallery so get posting your flying photos!

As this forum has just gone live, i'm sure there's a load of small niggly things that are wrong (e.g. text centred and not aligned to the left), please post all problems here - no matter how small they are - so they can be fixed in future updates.

All comments welcome,
Regards,
Mark Dwyer
www.flyinginireland.com

------------------------------------------------
FlyingInIreland.com:- THE Resource for Irish Aviation Information

alphaLaura
Verified User
Verified User

Post by alphaLaura »

Looking good!

I just logged in to post this, but instead of routing me back to the forum, it sent me to the flyinginireland.com home page. It'd be more convenient to be sent to the forum home page.

jonkil
Verified User
Verified User

Post by jonkil »

Mark,
Is it possible to load the forum link to a new window/tab ?
The forum is cramped and restricted when it loads into the frame within the FII website and it does not add to the browsing experience.

Just my 2p worth,

Jon

mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mark »

Hi alphaLaura,

Thanks! The redirect problem is a known issue with this bridge. It arises because you are actually logging in to Joomla as the forum and the photo gallery have had all users merged into joomla. I'm trying to figure out a way to solve this problem, would welcome any suggestions!

Regards,
Mark

ceatach
Verified User
Verified User

Post by ceatach »

Hey. I never used the joomla code before but just downloaded it and in mod_login.php I see this:

// url of current page that user will be returned to after login
if ($query_string = mosGetParam( $_SERVER, 'QUERY_STRING', '' )) {
$return = 'index.php?' . $query_string;
} else {
$return = 'index.php';
}

You can try edit that Mark...

mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mark »

Hi jonkil,

Thanks for that suggestion, I agree it is a bit cramped, espcially when compared to the last setup. My main concern for the last few days has been getting the databases setup right, making sure users can access the forum and solving all the debug and PM problems. As most of these now seem solved (please correct me if im wrong!), i can now focus on templates and the look of the website.

Unfortunately it's not as simple as loading the forum in a new window as it's integrated with the rest of the website. The solution is to widen the overall site template to facilitate the forum which I hope to do soon.

Thanks,
Mark

mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mark »

Hi Ceatach,

Thanks for the suggestion. Those settings refer to the login module which I have enabled at the bottom left hand corner of the page. Will get Byron to edit it properly so it looks right. The problem is however that joomla also uses a second login form as its default to login users. Will keep looking for a solution to this.

Regards,
Mark

mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mark »

Hi guys,

Redirection now in place :D . One small problem I have noticed is than when you are first redirected it appears you are not logged in but once you open another forum page you are logged in :roll:

Regards,
Mark

alphaLaura
Verified User
Verified User

Post by alphaLaura »

Mark, what you could always do with the layout is shift all the nav menu stuff ('Home', 'Accident Reports', etc ... ) down to the bottom of the page. Same goes for the Google ads which I'm sure you can align horizontally? That way, you can expand the entire forum to fill the entire main content area (which must be about 900 pixels just at a guess).

THIS_IS_AIRFIELD
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by THIS_IS_AIRFIELD »

Hi Mark,

yeah everything working fine for me now thanks. I like the updated look but would agree that it needs to open to its own window. Makes it easier when we all have several discussions open at once. The Windows toolbar does not give the title of the discussion as it sees all windows as being simply part of the main website.

Cheers and good luck, alot of work has clearly been put into this and credit where its due

ei6265
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by ei6265 »

Hey all,

More feedback:

The forum is definetely too narrow. A new window (as suggested) would probably work best. Its quite frustrating having to deal with the default PHPBB format.

Cheers,

D.