Which Aran island to visit?

This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

Mike C
Unverified User
Unverified User

Which Aran island to visit?

Post by Mike C »

Hi all, looking for some feedback from you guys who have flown out to the Islands.

Which of the three is the best to visit, ie. closest to a good eating establishment to make the trip worthwhile.

Many thanks

Mike

Pilot
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Pilot »

Mike,

I think if you are only going to visit one, then it has to be Inishmor. You can get a taxi (usually there is one at the airfield) into Kilronan for ?5 each way. (They are all minibuses rather than cars).

Lunch at the Pier House is the best I've found.

Inishmann, as much I could get was a toasted ham and cheese sandwich at the local hotel (run down bar, with some rooms would be more like it...hotel :roll: ).

I didn't explor Inisheer at all, but haven't heard of any "establishment" to make it worth while.

Inishmore does make a nice overnight stay on a bank holiday weekend during the summer...especially if the weather is nice...great athmosphere....just book accomodation in advance ;)

P

Nanolight
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Nanolight »

I was camping on Inisheer last Summer.

You can walk from the airfield to a little village (where the ferry comes in) and there is a shop there with hot potato wedges/ sausage rolls and coffee and other snacks and just up the hill from that is a pub where you'll get maybe soup/ shepards pie/ lasagne/ chicken curry.... that sort of stuff. I ate there once and it was quite tasty..

You's have better choice in Inis Mor though
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

damienair
Verified User
Verified User

Post by damienair »

Mike C,

Fly out to the Islands Via Spanish point and follow the coastline along to the Cliffs of Moher and then turn out for the Islands. Why not do a touch and go on each of the three Islands , fly out around Dun Angus, and then back into Inishmor, get the Taxi into town and you will have 3 new airfields for your log book.

If your interested in really doing it in style some other time , why not register for the Island Hop www.irishflyin.com or www.nmai.ie and join a squadron of aircraft in July. Full details can be found on the Website. Last years event was a huge success, 33 Microlights flew to the Arann Islands and back to Birr. If the weather behaves this year leading up to the event, we envisage to have 100 aircraft taking part.

Regards,
Damien
Pegasus XL 462
PILOTS are just PLANE people with a special AIR about them

jonkil
Verified User
Verified User

Post by jonkil »

Mike,
it is a lovely trip. Damien's suggestion is a good one, spectacular scenery and the islands themselves are beautiful from the air. I cannot really afford an opinion of eating there, I have visited the Islands and departed again within a 4 hour window during the Island hop last year. Routing back home over Galway for a T&G in Connemara was absolutely stunning. Some of the people from the UK who took part in last years event could not believe just how beautiful the West coast is.
In any case, have a great flight ... I know you will enjoy it.

Jon

JFH
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by JFH »

h
Last edited by JFH on Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mike C
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Mike C »

Hi guys, thanks for the replies. Looks like Inishmore is it then. A trip over the Burren and along the Cliffs will be perfect.

Right, must practice my shortfield landings again!!

DonalMW
Verified User
Verified User

Post by DonalMW »

JFH - The 1 with the boat is Inish O?r..... (Inisheer) You should've known that, you were with me once when I flew there..... :lol: :roll:

nevergiveup
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by nevergiveup »

This is a place I intend to try this summer on Inis Meain (the middle one)
http://www.inismeain.com/en/restaurant/index.html