Flying to the UK

This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

Pilot
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Pilot »

Well done LC! I'm glad you find the info useful.

Where did you go? Take any pics? :D

alphaLaura
Verified User
Verified User

Post by alphaLaura »

"Our first sea crossing"

(We went to Haverfordwest for toast and tea!)
The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no.
I OWN THE SUN

Pilot
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Pilot »

Well done everyone! Glad you guys enjoyed it :)

I know we all get different things out of flying, but to me, I love the sense of achievement of having flown myself to another country, where previously I would have needed an airline ;)

Well done!
Last edited by Pilot on Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lambada Crazy
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Lambada Crazy »

Brilliant AL!!! One piece of advice, dont go to haverfordwest if your in the mood for smoothies!

here are some of my pics!

myself and alphalaura flew the first leg, and flyer1 and taggamuffin did the return!

"Just coasting In, - or is that the reflection of clouds?"
"What a nice day"
"Descending"
When a flight is proceeding incredibly well, something was forgotten.

Pilot
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Pilot »

Thanks for the pics. Looks like you got nice weather for it too!

C152
Verified User
Verified User

Post by C152 »

Was it a requirement to be a ginger for the flight :?:

The Fixer
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by The Fixer »

Very good AL......

jm2833530
Verified User
Verified User

Post by jm2833530 »

Being a scaredy cat I wonder how high you will be let fly across the Irish Sea? If allowed I would cruise climb to 12000ft and then only have exposure to the briny ocean for a few minutes until descending in the cruise, all the time keeping a practical 12:1 glide angle in mind.

hibby
Verified User
Verified User

Post by hibby »

Pilot wrote:I know we all get different things out of flying, but to me, I love the sense of achievement of having flown myself to another country, where previously I would have needed an airline

I'm very much looking forward to doing that too - I'll need to work up to it though! I flew my first ever flight with a passenger (other than an instructor) yesterday. :D

Well done to the 4 of you for your first sea crossing. Did you fly the whole outward leg inverted? :wink:

trimflyingclub
Verified User
Verified User

Post by trimflyingclub »

Haven't seen this anywhere else on the forum, so just
said I'd post here to this UK thread which is already a sticky!
(if its already up here, sorry for the double up!!)

Flew to the UK on Friday via Oxford down through the london low level
vfr corridor and onwards to france for the weekend, anyone else thinking of flying to the uk these days needs to be aware of the following changes.

When talking to London Information (generally outside controlled airspace in class G), you no longer ask for
a "Flight Information Service" (FIS).

..This is now replaced with a request for a "Basic service"

Also, When operating down near the London TMA in class G airspace (or any LARS to that effect, {Lower Airspace Radar Service}), you no longer ask for:

Fight Information Service - VFR
Radar Information Service - VFR
Radar Advisory Service - IFR

...these are now replaced with:

Basic Service (most common)
Traffic service
Deconfliction service
Procedural service

More details on what is covered by each can be found at:

http://www.airspacesafety.com/content/ATSOCAS.asp

In the London area, VFR LARS Radar service is no longer "Thames Valley Radar", this is now covered by "Farnborough Radar" and it has 3 sections to get you around the busy London airspace near Heathrow,
Standsted and Luton.

What service do they provide? WHAT IS THE NEW LARS?

London Area LARS is a radar-based air traffic information and alerting service for pilots of GA aircraft flying in
the busy airspace below or around the London TMA. It will be run from Farnborough (Military).

WHY SHOULD I USE IT?

The London area airspace is amongst the busiest and most complex in the world – and flying through it is challenging.
Even experienced pilots get it wrong sometimes and get too close to other aircraft or infringe controlled airspace.
London LARS will give you much better awareness of other traffic in your vicinity, so that will help your safety
and safety of others. Should you get into any difficulties we will have your details and can respond very quickly.
LARS can also help you to avoid infringing controlled airspace.

WHY IS NATS PROVIDING THE SERVICE?
They want to help general aviation pilots have a safe flight near the London TMA, but the airspace beneath
which they fly handled nearly 1.2 million aircraft movements in and out of the major London
airports last year. An inadvertent infringement of such crowded skies can have a significant impact on the safety
and efficiency of the air traffic operation. London LARS helps prevent such infringements

London Lars can be contacted on:

Farnborough North 132.800
farnborough East 123.225
Farnborough West 125.250

Here is some information on the new London LARS service by Farnborough Radar:

http://www.chirp.co.uk/Downloads/LARS%20Flyer.pdf
http://www.chirp.co.uk/downloads/LARS_2 ... NAL_LO.pdf

Once you know what to expect, navigation down there is straightforward :D

London Low Level VFR Route:

MCRO
Unverified User
Unverified User

Re: Flying to the UK

Post by MCRO »

This has been a most informative topic - and special credit to friend 'Pilot' who has produced the fruit of excellent research

But I wonder is 'Nosedive' not very lucky indeed to have survived regulatory cremation

Mother of all our Regulation, the Chigaco Convention (ICAO), has to be our focus for International Flight

Article 31

Every aircraft engaged in international navigation shall be provided with a certificate of airworthiness issued or rendered valid by the State in which it is registered.

Article 32

The pilot of every aircraft and the other members of the operating crew of every aircraft engaged in international navigation shall be provided with certificates of competency and licenses issued or rendered valid by the State in which the aircraft is registered.

(Elsewhere a licence is very clearly define as being an ICAO one)

It is very difficlt to see how an NPPL type of Licence or a permit to fly can legally cross borders

The Convention Wording is 'every aircraft' - and as this is the actual treaty it is virtually impregnable

Nothing of course happens until someone is sued for everything becaiuse their flight was 'offside' from the start

Maurice

hibby
Verified User
Verified User

Post by hibby »

Can anyone advise me on this question in the GAR form:
"If YES has UK VAT been paid?"

As the aircraft is not based or registered in the UK, no UK VAT has been paid, so obviously the answer is "NO". But if I answer "NO" will that create a problem? VAT has been paid in the EU so no VAT is due.

[Edited to add one more question:]

Should I put my arrival AND departure on the same GAR form? Or should I fill out one form for the arrival in NI and another for the departure? It's a day trip in and out - we'll only be there for a couple of hours.

Sorry about the stupid questions and thanks in advance for any help.

cubpilot
Verified User
Verified User

Post by cubpilot »

just write yes and Irish Vat paid or what country vat has been paid in. my cub was bought way before vat and so to be correct i should tick no but i won't be that stupid. whoever drew up the new GAR form has made a right b...ks of the thing

hibby
Verified User
Verified User

Post by hibby »

Thanks for the help. It's my first cross-border trip, so I'm doing this paperwork for the first time. I filled it out as you suggested and mailed it off to UK customs, PSNI and Irish Revenue.

Having done it once, I would say the paperwork should be straightforward enough from now on. The only problem is that you have to specify your arrival and departure time the previous day, which is a nuisance.

Pilot
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Pilot »

I always answer "no" to the UK VAT question, and then "Yes" to the following question "Is the aircraft in ‘Free Circulation’ in E.U?".

That's the truth, and it has never caused a problem with customs.

And to your other question, yes it's fine to put the inbound and outbound flights on the one GAR.

P