This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

willo
Verified User
Verified User

Flightd into Irish airports without Transponder

Post by willo » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:01 am

Hi all,
Still havent for the transponder in the Piper.

Was wondering of other experiences of airports letting you in without one. Sligo and Waterford allowed me to do so, and I assume its fair to say there no chance with Shannon and Cork, but what about the others, incl. Weston, Galway, Kerry, Knock , as well as crossing the FIR to Enniskillen or Haverford West

Willo

DonalMW
Verified User
Verified User

Post by DonalMW » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:09 am

Stay away from EICM without a transponder.........
As for crossing the channel i'm sure it's not possible without a transponder surely??

mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mark » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:11 am

Hi guys,

I've recently been to Kerry and Waterford with no transponder, I have to say ATC in both airports were very friendly and accomodating. I enquired with a few other airports including Kerry and Sligo and there was no problem except with Galway, they just weren't interested (and they say they are GA friendly!). I know there can be restrictions like holding outside the zone if there are "heavies" moving in and out and I'm happy to accept that but in most cases if you time your arrival outside scheduled movements there is no problem. When I was in Kerry the traffic on final behind was a Ryanair 737! 60kts vs. 140kts!

I'm not sure what the story is with Weston at the moment. Unlike all of the "regional" airports, Weston actually has a radar now (radar feed from Dub). The aircraft that I fly has no transponder but it's based there.
Regards,
Mark Dwyer
www.flyinginireland.com

------------------------------------------------
FlyingInIreland.com:- THE Resource for Irish Aviation Information

DonalMW
Verified User
Verified User

Post by DonalMW » Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:41 pm

there was no problem except with Galway, they just weren't interested (and they say they are GA friendly!).

Galway IS GA friendly, provided you meet ALL their criteria, and follow it precisely.
I'm regularly fly into EICM, I pay my ?13 and leave, I haven't been charged for parking even tho i've heard of this happening.
I've heard on many occasions of the ATC "Telling off" Pilots who don't fully comply with their procedures etc...... I've recieved 2 of these tellings off already :oops: But I now know what to expect there's no problems!! :lol:

damienair
Verified User
Verified User

Post by damienair » Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:11 pm

I've crossed the Irish Sea a couple of times without a transponder. Belfast usually pass me to Scottish FIS at the half way point across the sea. I've always found Belfast and Scottish FIS very helpful, they usually just ask you to report overhead waypoints and report when coasting out. Belfast International is a great place to visit also, no problem even without a transponder, always a good laugh taxing beside an Airbus A320 or a 737 in my little two seater.
Pegasus XL 462
PILOTS are just PLANE people with a special AIR about them

tu154
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by tu154 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:03 am

Second Aldergrove as a good destination to visit. We even send students there are part of their qualifying XC. No dramas and what visiting airports should be about. Not some jumped up tinpot airport with delusions of grandeur. Flightplans, I ask you. :roll:

jonkil
Verified User
Verified User

Post by jonkil » Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:51 pm

tu154 wrote:Second Aldergrove as a good destination to visit. We even send students there are part of their qualifying XC. No dramas and what visiting airports should be about. Not some jumped up tinpot airport with delusions of grandeur. Flightplans, I ask you. :roll:

Agreed,
No problems at all fitting into patterns with the "Heavy" boys...... and a very welcoming attitude.
Even in the congested airspace around Aldrogrove/City/Newtownards and all the military stuff, there never seems to be a problem with zone transit....... pity Galway has to kick up such a fuss.

willo
Verified User
Verified User

Post by willo » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:37 am

Thanks for all the feedback.

I presume that Donegal are friendly also.
Must go to Belfast soon, then, I presume file with SNN and a quick call to Aldergrove tower to confirm its okay will do the trick?

Cheers

Brian

damienair
Verified User
Verified User

Post by damienair » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:26 pm

I have not yet been in Donegal, but definately make a call into Letterkenny Airfield if your up in that neck of the woods. Narrow hard runway and a very friendly welcome.
File with Aldergrove when visiting Belfast and give the tower a quick call. On the way home file the return trip with Shannon. I was in Aldergrove a couple of times where we asked to visit just before crossing the zone, '' no problem , just report when abeam Nuts Corner '' was the usual reply, and they would talk you in from there. Definately worth a visit.
Pegasus XL 462
PILOTS are just PLANE people with a special AIR about them

Pilot
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Pilot » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:56 pm

Donegal are indeed very friendly.

Pick a nice summers day, and take a picnic with you....there is a gorgeous beach which is just five minutes walk (if even that) from the terminal front door.

P

tu154
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by tu154 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:26 am

Also remember when visiting the UK you are required to file a GAR form with PSNI special branch 24 hours in advance of your flight, unless you are travelling to a designated airport under the PTA Act. I'm pretty sure Aldergrove is a 'designated airport', but best to give them a call beforehand to check. Enniskillen for example is not and a GAR is required there.
Pooleys/AFE guides have the contact details for each force. In NI it's just a fax, some airfields across the Irish sea will require that you follow up the fax with a phone call and get a reference number from the police. When making the phone call to that airfield to request PPR you quote the number, without which PPR will not be granted.
(This obviously applies only to flights to/from Ireland, the Channel Isles and wherever else they deem necessary).

Dogbiscuit
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Dogbiscuit » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:21 pm

As far as I can see remember there is an Irish AIC out (can't remember the number) that states you shall have a transponder to enter the Class C airspace that Galway and all the other Irish Regionals occupy.

Nothing to do with being "friendly" or not.That's the law. I wonder what the outcome would be if a non transponder aircraft was involved with a TCAS equipped transport flight in a Regional airport Class C zone.

What kind of procedures did Galway ATC tell you off about EI-DGV Z M?

DonalMW
Verified User
Verified User

Post by DonalMW » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:54 pm

I thought some1 would ask me that alright........
1 : Took off when airport was closed.

(Which I had done several times previously without hassle. Apparently """"Everyone was told"""" about the changes......)

2. Commenced take off roll without clearance.

( EI-DGV Says " E-GV Does not require backtrack, can I go from the intersection @ Bravo?? TWR says E-GV cleared for departure after the departing ATR. So..... as the ATR took off and was making his right turn out, 30 seconds after rotation I entered, lined up and commenced my roll......TWR says "E-GV Next time wait for clearance before departing the Aerodrome"
All I could do was apologise, even tho I was cleared, mates of mine @ Cregboy Airfield heard the incident and agreed I had been CLEARED for departure.......

Just to add, I believe the ATC staff @ EICM to be brilliant, Tony Gibson in particular, Theese are just 2 little things that stick in my mind......

I believe I have learned something in every flight I've ever made, from this comes good airmanship, "A lot learned sofar, A lot more to learn yet"

Dogbiscuit
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Dogbiscuit » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:38 am

Thanks for sharing that, that's the thing about aviation, learn something new everyday.

Nanolight
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Nanolight » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:41 am

Sorry to bring up an old topic but I was chatting to one of the lads about this the other day. is it possible to get a small battery pwered reansponder that you'd mount on the dash (like the radios you'd see the weightshift boys using) or does it have to be hard wired into the aircrafts electrical system?

What if your aircraft is not wired for electrics?
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.