This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

Tonybwf
Unverified User
Unverified User

Alouettes....43years!

Post by Tonybwf » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:33 pm

Hi every1,

Im probably going to be slated for this topic but am i alone in being embaressed that the defence forces actually had the alouettes for 43years
im not critising air-corps or any operations they performed over the years i just think its bad we had them for so long i aint a fan of it anyway an i was just wondering how other people thought of it....im probably going to be the most unpopular person on this forum now!!! just the way some people make them out to be so great and comparing them to the bell-huey an there service to the US...i just dont see it

JFH
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by JFH » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:40 pm

h
Last edited by JFH on Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GoGoGadgetGoAround
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by GoGoGadgetGoAround » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:18 pm

I'll second that, we're not fighting any wars here so they don't need to be better than the other countries choppers.

They did their job well if you look at the lives they saved etc.

Also their a credit to the maintenance section.
Engine Failure: A condition which occurs when all fuel tanks mysteriously become filled with air

Dogbiscuit
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Dogbiscuit » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:29 pm

Up to last year the Dutch Air Force was still using the Alouette III (and they still may be using it)

Just beacuse it not the last wizz bang machine does not mean is a bad helicopter. Just look at the S61N, the aircraft in Waterford is the oldest in service and it is well over 40 yrs.

Dogbiscuit
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Dogbiscuit » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:30 pm

And the Swiss AF had them as well, great performer in the Alps.

KeithT
Unverified User
Unverified User

Re: Alouettes....43years!

Post by KeithT » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:17 pm

Saturn5 wrote:Hi every1,
am i alone in being embaressed that the defence forces actually had the alouettes for 43years

Yes, I should think so :wink:

In fact you should be more embarrassed about not understanding why they were still flying, and possibly should be still flying :shock:

niteowl2000
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by niteowl2000 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:45 pm

They were a simple machine and they definitely did the job, as one previous poster said, how many RTE reeling in the years episodes , did you always see an alouette in,

Sure look how old the b52 is and getting upgrades, what do you replace an alouette with, another alouette. I dont post regularly but on this occasion i had to thrown in my 2c worth.

Nanolight
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Nanolight » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:31 pm

It's all a pure matter of economics. If they are safe, do the job and cost effective, they'll keep them going until this is not longer financially feasable.

This wasn't the case with the (far newer) Dauphin, so they got rid of it, it's as simple as that.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Tonybwf
Unverified User
Unverified User

Re..

Post by Tonybwf » Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:05 pm

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies i stand correctd haha!! :oops:

Warthog
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Warthog » Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:05 pm

Dogbiscuit wrote:And the Swiss AF had them as well, great performer in the Alps.

AFAIK Still holds the world altitude record for a Helo. And the RNLAF Operate 4 as the Dutch Royal Family refuse to fly in any other Helicopter. Aslo the South African AF Use them in the CSAR Role and the Pakistan Navy still use them. And wasnt it 44 years of service Op.

mike romeo
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by mike romeo » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:56 pm

the allouette 3 was a solid chopper built like a brick. i've been lucky enough to fly in one as a civie recently and it was amazing. seeing the fleet in the hanger in bal shortly before retirement was amazing. they were maintained to such a high standard! they looked nearly new. whoever gets their hands on them will have a bargain!

buzz
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by buzz » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:58 pm

No need to be embarrassed about the Alouettes length of service. The USAF isn't embarrased about their KC135s or their B52s. The RAF keep their helicopters in service for many years not to mention the Shackleton which in the end was an embarrassment because they cocked up the supposed replacement.

Going into the future many airforces will keep their aircraft in service for longer and longer. The time when an air force only got five or more years out of an aircraft are long gone.

The Alouettes remained in service so long not just because they did the job admirably but because in truth the Air Corps have a relatively benign operational environment. Aerospatiale estimated at one point that the Air Corps should over the years have lost 20 Alouettes in accidents. That out of a fleet of 8. In the end, I think only one had a properly serious accident. That tells as much about how they were used as it tells you of their reliability. They were essentially day VFR craft, never saw combat or overseas service. Their only really stressful period was when they were used for rescue work. Flown by professional pilots, maintained to the highest standards. No wonder they lasted as long they did.

Excellent aircraft though. I will miss that jingly jangly whine passing by as they did for so many years as I grew up.

Tonybwf
Unverified User
Unverified User

Re

Post by Tonybwf » Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:53 pm

Hi buzz,

i suppose i was being lil small minded about the alouettes, i didnt think of it from all angles......still dont like em but credit where credit is due
Regards
Tony

?The scientific theory I like best is that the rings of Saturn are composed entirely of lost airline luggage.?

Dogbiscuit
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Dogbiscuit » Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:39 am

Ah Sat 5, how could you not love all that noise :)

What a loss to the Irish Aviation scene :(

mr crow
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by mr crow » Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:54 am

Last edited by mr crow on Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.