Salthill Airshow 2008 - Cancelled!

This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

Pilot
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Pilot »

I agree with AL.

We need to contact the organisers first to make sure that want us to fundraise, and to make sure that that is all that is required to get it back on the rails.

No point in us raising the money to find out that it's a pointless task.

As for where to get the money, the obvious choice would be the businesses in the area. Presumably the pubs, restaurants and hotels make a lot of money that day, and would have a financial interest in supporting the day.

Another source would be to look for a title sponsor. ie one major sponsor who would have their branding associated with the show everywhere. eg "The Salthill Airshow, in association with Aer Lingus, the low fares airline". The airlines might be good sponsors.

We could also look to the likes of the Galway chamber of commerce, the Dept of tourism, bord failte (sorry...failte Ireland), Dept of Transport (aviation), the IAA (It makes more sense than sponosoring some Choral society!). I wonder would the National Lottery funds help out?

P

Tonybwf
Unverified User
Unverified User

Re

Post by Tonybwf »

Hi pilot,

Ye i think the organisers son is on this forum warthog his name is think he would be our best link....airlines is a good idea even aer arann mite they had there new atr there this year an they have a good like with the west

Warthog
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Warthog »

Pilot wrote:I agree with AL.

We need to contact the organisers first to make sure that want us to fundraise, and to make sure that that is all that is required to get it back on the rails.

As for where to get the money, the obvious choice would be the businesses in the area. Presumably the pubs, restaurants and hotels make a lot of money that day, and would have a financial interest in supporting the day.

Another source would be to look for a title sponsor.
We could also look to the likes of the Galway chamber of commerce, the Dept of tourism, bord failte.

P

Hi Pilot all the above you have mentioned is what we have done.

Flyer1
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Flyer1 »

Warthog, is it primarily funding is the issue here ?

ei6265
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by ei6265 »

Ive sent an email through the Salthill website to the organisers so hopefully theyll pick up on it and reply.

Pilot
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Pilot »

Warthog,

Is it that you couldn't get funding from these people, or that after the funding that you could get from them, there was still ?80k left to be found?

Basically what I'm trying to figure is do we need to find 80K including anything we can get from those people, or ?80k and ingore those people, becuase they've already put something into the pot.

P

Warthog
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Warthog »

Flyer1 wrote:Warthog, is it primarily funding is the issue here ?

Yes funding guys.

Warthog
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Warthog »

Pilot wrote:Warthog,

Is it that you couldn't get funding from these people, or that after the funding that you could get from them, there was still ?80k left to be found?

You would need to ask my father that to be honest but funding is the main issue as to why 2008 is cancelled.

ei6265
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by ei6265 »

Hi guys,

Received a reply from one of the organisers who thanked for the offer, but said the 2008 show is definitely off. The funding has exceeded the grants given to them by the council/Failte Ireland in the past few years so they had to make the decision to call next year's show off. At this stage, even if funding was arranged, the airshow would not be able to live up to the standards of previous years.

Its a shame we'll miss out next year, but hopefully we'll see it all again in 2009 :)