Question about Night Rating

This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

GJOYT
Verified User
Verified User

Question about Night Rating

Post by GJOYT »

Can someone help me ont his please! I have a CAA JAR FCL PPL Licence and I want to get a Night Rating. If I train and get the Rating in the south say in Waterford or Cork can I carry out the same privilages as everyone with a night rating in UK airspace like fly at night outside of controlled airspace??

junglebob
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by junglebob »

AS far as I'm aware you cannot fly at night outside controlled airspace in Ireland without an IFR rating!
I know how crap it is because I love night flying and did it in the US but came back here to be told that I can't do it without a SVFR in controlled airspace or have to have an IFR to do it outside controlled airspace.
I'm pretty sure thats right but if I'm wrong, please correct me, as if I am I'd love to hear about it!
Or maybe its that you cannot enter controlled airspace at night without an IFR.
Could someone confirm, clarify or deny if thats the case.

alphaLaura
Verified User
Verified User

Post by alphaLaura »

No, you need an IFR to fly outside Class C airspace here in Ireland at night time. I personally consider doing a Night Rating a large waste of money if you want it 'just because'. On the other hand, getting training experience of avionics failures at night time can only be a good thing. Self-betterment or something...

Maverick
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Maverick »

Yep like said above by AlphaLaura and Junglebob it is the case that a night rating in Ireland is somewhat useless without an IFR rating. You can bump around the control zone for hours on end with SVFR clearance but its a bit pointless unless your planning to go onto the CPL where you do need your 5hours minimum at night which is the only reason im planning on doing it. Its a good time of the year to do it with the evenings pulling in, hopefully might get a nice clear night to do it!
I asked an instructor recently about the oul PFL in the dark as it had crossed my mind what the hell do you do when you cant see where the ground is?! I suppose ultimately it comes down to a degree of luck and the man above!

ronnie3585
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by ronnie3585 »

After an engine failure at night - At 200ft turn on the landing light... if you dont like what you see turn it back off again.

In reality I'd probably go for the drink or a road.
Ow! My boating arm...

Maverick
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Maverick »

Haha strangely enough that was the exact phrase used :D...but seriously I suppose you only really have seconds decide when you get nearer ground level and have to make the best of whats in front of you.

alphaLaura
Verified User
Verified User

Post by alphaLaura »

Hearing from a couple of instructors about where to land if you have an engine failure at night, the general idea is to look for roads - car's headlights and street lamps. I must say, there are some beautiful new national roads being built around Ireland at the moment. Given the choice between field or road, night or day, I'd choose road.

Michael Jackson
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Michael Jackson »

G-JOYT,
Do the Night rating. 8)
I got mine last year so I could fly club aircraft in the evenings/nights because my club is very busy during the day time to hire aircraft!
Also, you need a night rating before you can start your CPL course and reading your previous posts i assume your planning on going commercial.

If you want to fly outside the irish airport zone boundrys at night you need a valid MULTI-ENGINE instrument rating(which is bulls***) in my view.....
As long as you do your 3hrs PUT/night with a JAA instructor from any EU/JAA member state the CAA will pop the night rating into your licence no bother.
SHAMOON

FLYbyWIT
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by FLYbyWIT »

Its not a rating its a qualification! Now put that in your drum and bang it.
Single engine piston at night, do it if you have to and no more in my opinion.

Pilot
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Pilot »

If you want to fly outside the irish airport zone boundrys at night you need a valid MULTI-ENGINE instrument rating(which is bulls***) in my view.....
As long as you do your 3hrs PUT/night with a JAA instructor from any EU/JAA member state the CAA will pop the night rating into your licence no bother.

That is incorrect, on both counts counts.

Firstly there is no requirement for a multi engine instrument rating to fly an single engined aircraft at night under ifr. A single engine instrument rating is sufficient.

Secondly a night qualification requires 5 hours training, not 3, and a host of other requirements (to be included within those 5 hours).

G JOYT, if you fly a UK registered aircraft in the UK airspace on a CAA JAR licence, you can on those occasions fly at night once you get the night qualification....just not in the republic, and not in an Irish registered aircraft.

P
Last edited by Pilot on Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Maverick
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Maverick »

The 5 hours consist of 5 solo night circuits and a 1hour cross country as far as I am aware. Not that you can exactly get anywhere on the X-country!

michael747
Verified User
Verified User

Post by michael747 »

Hmm, wait a second,

Sure say you did it in EIDW!!

If it's a clear night, could you not climb up to 4000ft and do a Nav-X from EIDW to Drogheda to Navan to Naas to EIDW......?
Thats a good 60nm's or so!!!

Thats all class C airspace isn't it???
Regards,
M747
:D

OW wright
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by OW wright »

michael747 wrote:Hmm, wait a second,

Sure say you did it in EIDW!!

If it's a clear night, could you not climb up to 4000ft and do a Nav-X from EIDW to Drogheda to Navan to Naas to EIDW......?
Thats a good 60nm's or so!!!

Thats all class C airspace isn't it???

no you have to stay inside the control zone, the airspace over Navan and Drogheda is the control area. Naas is just outside the zone.

OW
Wright Brothers.Aviation Pioneers: Orville (1871-1948) born in Dayton ,OH and Wilbur(1867-1912)born near Millville,IN. They were the First to Fly in a powered heavier-than-air-machine ,17th Dec 1903 at Kitty Hawk ,NC.

michael747
Verified User
Verified User

Post by michael747 »

Thats redicules, Sure it's not like they dont have a radar tht goes as far as Navan, Naas etc.....
Regards,
M747
:D

GJOYT
Verified User
Verified User

Post by GJOYT »

Right, so I can do a Night Rating with PTC in Waterford and get it added on to my UK CAA PPL and when I fly in UK airspace I can fly outside controlled airspace just as everybody can in UK airspace with Night Ratings??.. I just want to confirm this once and for all and get it done.