This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

historical-avi-irl.i8.com
Unverified User
Unverified User

World War Two Internment In The Curragh Camp

Post by historical-avi-irl.i8.com »

Hi Everyone.
I've been tasked with doing a reseach topic on the subject of the Curragh Camp, I already have Donal MacCarron's book on the topic which is very useful, but it would be great if anyone could let me know of anyone who was directly involved in the internment process or helped the lucky ones to help during world war two in Ireland.

Basically I need two other sources and it would be gratefully appreciated in years to come by myself if anyone could please lend a hand, or better still, I'll be at the ALSAA ASOI aviation show on Sunday 25th of November if anyone wants to come along and have a chat about the topic.
I would also like to hear stories that I might be able to follow up on.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Byron

Tony Kearns
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Tony Kearns »

Byron,
I suggest for a start to get a copy of "Guests of the State" by Ryle T Dwyer published by Brandon Books and then have a look at " In Time of War" by Robert Fisk also published by Brandon.

Ryle Dwyer is not an aviation historian per se ( and I do not believe he would so claim, as others do) but both will give you a good insight of the period. I am sure your local library will have copies. Then you can come back with your questions which I am sure many people can help you to find answers.
Tony K

Unverified User
Unverified User

Hello Tony,
Thanks for the reply, I know it's been a while I have been very busy, and entirely forgot about the topic! :roll:

Good to meet you, and glad to see you have an interest in the topic also, I'm sure I will be in contact with you and others again. I've been looking around a good bit and have also dug out Patrick J Cummins, "Emergency" Air Accidents - South-East Ireland 1940 - 1945, 2003, which I thought I had lent to someone but still have it fortunately!

Regards,
Byron

stovepipe
Verified User
Verified User

Post by stovepipe »

Why are you not in touch with the Military Archives or even the Museum at Collins Barracks?
regards
Stovepipe

Unverified User
Unverified User

I am in the process of contacting Collins Barracks, I have a phone number for Lar from when the Soldiers and Chiefs exhibition was getting put together, and I'll be getting on to the Military Archives very soon.

Thanks Again,
Byron

Unverified User
Unverified User

I am in the process of contacting Collins Barracks, I have a phone number for Lar from when the Soldiers and Chiefs exhibition was getting put together, and I'll be getting on to the Military Archives very soon.

Thanks Again,
Byron