Newcastle

This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

Mark H
Verified User
Verified User

Newcastle

Post by Mark H » Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:46 pm

Is there any flying happening in Newcastle, particularly training? I have gone down to have a look a couple of times in the last while but have found the place locked up.

Mark

tiny
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by tiny » Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:14 pm

I have called down a good few times and the gate is always locked to!!!!! The grass is cut though......

What a shame of a potentially great facillity........

Tiny

Flyer1
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Flyer1 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:41 am

Given the recent rain we've had, and newcastles vulnerability to getting and staying a little bit wetter than other places due to it's geographical location, i'd be guessing that maybe the powers and folk that be involved there might be wanting to give the strip a chance and not to over do it in the hope that next years flying season will be far better in wx terms. Only a wild guess tho.

C152
Verified User
Verified User

Post by C152 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:21 am

No training takes place there, a Cessna 152 EI-CCM and a French reg microlight are based there. Even when the gates are locked Eric can still be in there pottering around, I think he has hassle from the residents.

tiny
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by tiny » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:10 am

C152 wrote:No training takes place there, a Cessna 152 EI-CCM and a French reg microlight are based there. Even when the gates are locked Eric can still be in there pottering around, I think he has hassle from the residents.

What residents!!!!! There are none for around a mile from the strip!!!!!

C152
Verified User
Verified User

Post by C152 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:15 am

There is an estate with a small number of large houses about 1,00 yards away and the old station house has people living in it, it is at the end of the runway and at the other end of the of the runway is a bird santuary.one time when a heli landed the police where called.

tiny
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by tiny » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:59 am

C152 wrote:There is an estate with a small number of large houses about 1,00 yards away and the old station house has people living in it, it is at the end of the runway and at the other end of the of the runway is a bird santuary.one time when a heli landed the police where called.

C152
I accept that there should be no training, but The airfield has been there for years, so all the people in the houses knew or at least if they had done there research that there is a lisenced airfield becide them!!!!!

What conditions dose the airfiels have from a planning point?? ie is there a max number of movements in any time peroid etc??

I would just be conserned that some day soon, due to the lack of activity, someone will manage to get the lisence revoked due to not being used!!!!!!! and we dont want any less airfields!!!!!!

Its not ment in any bad way, but i just think at the moment its a waist of a facility, it could be amazing there given its location, and nearby facilitys!!!!! That along with the new Greystones marina could attract alot of investment in the area......

C152
Verified User
Verified User

Post by C152 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:55 am

I don't think the owner wants to open it up, he is very slective who can be based there. was used years ago by the Irish Aero Club for touch and go's and for the club BBQ. Yeah its a pity not many movements

historical-avi-irl.i8.com
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by historical-avi-irl.i8.com » Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:58 am

Talked to Eric last year.
A very nice man, little activity unless you own a plane of your own, but, as of June 2006, the Irish Aero Club still was operating, if in a dormant, non-training capacity, because I did ask the question!

Newcastles a nice aerodrome, small, quiet, but nice as it is, also very vry soggy...

Most people I know from that part of the county fly or are involved in motor sports actually, so I would have expected it to come up at some stage, the idea of opening a new club, etc, to tell you the truth, the aerodrome wouldn't be the most practical for training, and private flying can happen just about anywhere these days...