COMMENTS ON THE NEW IRISH VFR MAP

This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

OnTheNumbers
Verified User
Verified User

Post by OnTheNumbers »

The CAA northern England chart covers a lot of the Republic quite nicely.

http://www.transair.co.uk/product4.asp? ... ct_ID=7732

:-)

David
OnTheNumbers
-------------------------------------------------------
http://www.clearofcloud.ie
@clearofcloud on Twitter, Instagram

Whisky Tango
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Whisky Tango »

Here it is at last guys, just got this email from Brendan Woods.....

To all concerned;

I am pleased to announce that a new edition (Edition No.04) of the IAA VFR aeronautical chart scale 1:500,000 has just been published. It will be available for purchase from Wednesday 10th of December from OSI in the Phoenix Park. An AIC will be issued and a notice will be posted on the IAA website.
This edition of the chart depicts:

o updated topographical data,;
o Dublin CTR encompassing Baldonnel (EIME) and Weston (EIWT) aerodromes and EIR15/EIR23;
o EIR16 further subdivided with lower base overhead and around the area of Clonbullogue;
o significant increase in the numbers of plotted windfarms, model aircraft and gliding sites;
o contour detail at 200 feet AMSL where previous contour detail was from surface to 500 feet AMSL upwards;
o a chart titled “Airspace” on the reverse side of the topographical chart contains airspace/aerodrome data without topographical information to aid with clarity of airspace and classification.

Orders can be placed with OSI in writing, by phone or by email.
OSI contact details;

OSI
Map Sales Shop,
Phoenix Park,
Dublin 8;

Phone 01-802 5379. Order Online at; www.irishmaps.ie.

Pricing is set at €30 for the laminate chart and €20 for the paper version.

OnTheNumbers
Verified User
Verified User

Post by OnTheNumbers »

When somene sees it, can you tell us what the laminated version is like. I found previous laminated charts to difficult to fold but if the new laminated charts are like the CAA versions I'll happily buy them.

David
OnTheNumbers
-------------------------------------------------------
http://www.clearofcloud.ie
@clearofcloud on Twitter, Instagram

Papa8
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Papa8 »

You would think with OSI seemingly acting as the only seller of these charts that they could allow access to the lamination that they use on their 50k discovery maps. In conversation with them a couple of months ago I was told they went for the thinnest lamination they could get. Anything half approaching the waxy lamination of Jeppesen or the CAA lamination would be vastly improved.

The until now current chart could be classified as a concealed weapon in my opinion. :D
It only takes two things to fly:--- airspeed and money.

Zyox
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Zyox »

Papa8 wrote:The until now current chart could be classified as a concealed weapon in my opinion. :D

Lol well put!
It's true though! If they were like the jeppie it'd be great.
::: Image :::

ifty
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by ifty »

Well, what do you all think of the new chart?
You pass this way but once, there is no such thing as normal. There is you and the rest, now and forever. Do as you damn well please or you could end up being a pot-bellied, hairless boring old fart.

Whisky Tango
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Whisky Tango »

I received my laminated chart in the post yesterday. The lamination is very good, easyish to fold but nothing near as good as the Jeppesen.

My comments on the chart itself (from a student pilot who has only ever used the Jepps before)

I like it in general, think it will be easy to use. One problem is they don't highlight the VRPs, such as Palmerston Roundabout, etc. Another is they don't have landmarks such as castles, etc, which I found very useful on the Jeppesen. Also some pieces of text are on top of others, especially around the Dublin area.

Dogbiscuit
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Dogbiscuit »

I wonder is that because we are expected to carry the visual approach chart to the fields that have the VRPs, Cork, Dublin etc.

Pilot
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Pilot »

I find that they are still very heavy to fold.

Having a copy of both the laminated version and the unlaminated version, I've come to the conclusion that it's not the lamination, but rather the weight of the paper. I would suggest a lighter paper to go with the lighter lamination.

P

nosedive
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by nosedive »

Finally ordered my own copy last week and have to say, I'm fairly unimpressed with the new 500k chart. It seems unnecessarily cluttered and I fail to see th logic in the new notations for runway orientation and location. What was wrong with the little red strips in a circle indicating runway direction as well as whether it is paved or not?? Not only is the new system taking up more space on the page, it provides less information. Am I missing something??

Nosedive
Another broken undercarriage........

Papa8
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Papa8 »

The best thing to do is to email the IAA reminding them about this. I miss that from the old chart. Was doing some navigation exercises there in December with the new chart and the instructor carrying the old one for comparison. Rivers that are easy to spot in the south east like the Slaney are buried under railway tracks in both but definitely worse on the new chart. I actually think rivers are poorly marked on several charts.
It only takes two things to fly:--- airspeed and money.

Nanolight
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Nanolight »

Got it yesterday. It sucks.

I like the uncluttered print on the reverse showing aerodromes only though.

But I agree with Nosedive. Anyway you just have to carry it on board to be legal, there's no law requiring you to use it.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

jm2833530
Verified User
Verified User

Post by jm2833530 »

is there a feedback email that we could let osi know about errors omissions suggestions?