COMMENTS ON THE NEW IRISH VFR MAP

This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

stovepipe
Verified User
Verified User

Post by stovepipe »

Hi nano
If you filled the chart with golf courses, then it would be suitable only for aviating golfers, and have space for nothing else. I think this draft also shows horse-riding schools or stables.Unwanted detail....Flying over golf courses or horse-sites will get you nothing but grief, except for those stud farm owners who believe that their helis don't frighten horses and everyone else's aircraft does.
Could some one please make the maps as foldable and as legible as an American sectional?
regards
Stovepipe

GoGoGadgetGoAround
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by GoGoGadgetGoAround »

Stevopipe, having the maps more foldable is a very good point and could be easily overlooked, sure everyone has the same troble when doing a cross country, trying to wrestle with the map to get it down to a decent size.

There ain't much room in a C-150!
Engine Failure: A condition which occurs when all fuel tanks mysteriously become filled with air

Nanolight
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Nanolight »

Aviating golfers? What about golfing aviators? Are the two the same? :?

Anyway, I take your point Stovepipe, particularly in relation to the stud-farms but I stand by what I said earlier... they are good landmarks. Nobody says you have to fly over a landmark at 500' to make it useful.

Maybe I'll just get out my felt-tip and mark them all in on my own chart then....
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

OnTheNumbers
Verified User
Verified User

Post by OnTheNumbers »

Is there one on display in Weston. I have been around EIWT a fair bit but I haven't seen one.

David
OnTheNumbers
-------------------------------------------------------
http://www.clearofcloud.ie
@clearofcloud on Twitter, Instagram

michael747
Verified User
Verified User

Post by michael747 »

Cant find it over there myself!!!
Wouldn't mind a look at it!!!
Regards,
M747
:D

Flyer1
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Flyer1 »

I have a picture of the area around the zone in EIWF of the new chart if anyone is interested in having a look at it ? I took it in Kilrush the other day, they've got the new chart on display in the lounge area. Only have the EIWF zone, can get more pics on the weekend of the chart in Kilkenny if you want michael.

kirwan27
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by kirwan27 »

where would you find it in eicm?? wouldn mind takin a look!! :) got my free one from europilot this week! :D ....I also agree with the golf course idea!, would come in handy for the cross countries!

Darragh

ceatach
Verified User
Verified User

Post by ceatach »

Its in the operations office at Weston...

OnTheNumbers
Verified User
Verified User

Post by OnTheNumbers »

Where's the operations office? Is that in the new terminal or "old" weston where we sign out?

David
OnTheNumbers

Papa8
Unverified User
Unverified User

Reply from the IAA

Post by Papa8 »

I received a very nice reply from Brendan Woods in the IAA and the impression I got overall was that the chart we are viewing in our aerodromes is kind of like the fullest level of detail possible and our feedback is required on the kind of things to be left in/out. He says

"My intention was not to have this as a direct comparison with the 1:500,000 chart but mainly to show what information was available and to check the accuracy of plotted features."

He has also complimented the fact that I have responded to the request for feedback so make sure you get your opinions across to the IAA. vfrcharts@iaa.ie

"I appreciate the time you have taken to give back your observations and please continue to do so as this is exactly the type of feedback we require."

He has also explained that he will keep those who respond 'in the loop'

I have included your email address on a collective address list which I have set up to keep people (who have made contact) in the loop as to the progress of the chart. I will also post all the comments received (no individual details will be given) out to the people who have emailed me and possibly if I get permission on the IAA web site.

Overall I know there is nothing concrete but the more feedback we give the more we can directly influence the final result which after all is our main concern as pilots.

OnTheNumbers
Verified User
Verified User

Post by OnTheNumbers »

Has anyone seen this chart in Weston?
OnTheNumbers

mike romeo
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by mike romeo »

I saw it a few weeks back. Its on the wall in the Ops room - On the ground floor of the Skyview bar or whatever its called - in the new building

Dogbiscuit
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Dogbiscuit »

Waterford Airport have one opposite PTC upstairs in the building for review.

Looks a bit cluttered.Print quality not great but I reckon thats due to its draft status.

Anyone know when the final version will be published ?

OnTheNumbers
Verified User
Verified User

Post by OnTheNumbers »

Flippin' heck Mike Romeo.... is that inside where the metal detectors are?

That's a really useful place to have it when most of the activity happens on the other side of the field.

Thanks for that (rant not directed at you !)

David
OnTheNumbers

mike romeo
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by mike romeo »

Hi OnTheNumbers,

Ya its the room on your right after you walk through the Metal Detectors. A bit out of the way I suppose but what can you do1