COMMENTS ON THE NEW IRISH VFR MAP

This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

OW wright
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by OW wright »

"purchaser can buy either version but will get four charts on two sheets of paper covering the Shannon FIR"

it would have been better if they were on separate sheets especially when used in the cockpit. what do you do if your flying from point A on one chart to point B on the other chart, opposite side?

yes you could unfold it but a bit awkward in the cockpit or you could buy two but you shouldn't have to . UK charts are printed on separate sheets.
Wright Brothers.Aviation Pioneers: Orville (1871-1948) born in Dayton ,OH and Wilbur(1867-1912)born near Millville,IN. They were the First to Fly in a powered heavier-than-air-machine ,17th Dec 1903 at Kitty Hawk ,NC.

ceatach
Verified User
Verified User

Post by ceatach »

I was thinking the same. Hopefully they have diagonal quadrants on the same sheet. At least they intend to update it every year so if it is a huge problem we can get it changed next year :roll:

StephenM
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by StephenM »

Just ordered one of each Map. Best people to contact are OSI Map Sales direct. The website doesn't have them and the people that take care of it hadn't a clue when I rang.

+353-1-802-5379 is the number to get them directly. ?6.50 for registered post on top of the price if you get them delivered.

OW wright
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by OW wright »

hello,

Bought the new charts yesterday in the OSI, 30 euros for the laminated chart's and 20 euros for the paper version.

Lambada Crazy wrote:I was shocked at the Price of the New maps out yesterday, for the 1:250,000 scale it cost me 36.30EUR, couldn't believe it.

I think your way off the mark ,U.K. 1:250 000 charts cost ?13.99 each compared with 20 euros for four charts albeit back to back but nonetheless very good value i think.

ronnie3585 wrote:I got my hands on a copy of the new 1:250,000 over the weekend and I'm truly disgusted with it. What an appalling map!!

Most would agree that the biggest problem with the old 1:500,000 was the lack of detail. The new map on the other hand has an excessive amount of detail,even down to the small back roads. The colour and they way the map is physically drawn is not good. While the old one actually looks like a proper map this looks like it was done over the weekend on Microsoft Paint!

That's a bit harsh, if you compare the IAA chart with the CAA chart you will see that they are similar.

The CAA contour colours work better than the IAA version and the contour lines as well . The contour lines on the IAA chart are intrusive.

The font and size thereof of small towns and villages can make it hard to read especially with the background ,mind you the font size on the CAA charts for place names is even smaller .Considering that your going to have the chart on your lap as your flying along the place names need to stand out more and easier to read as you glance down at your chart.

Towns and villages need to be better defined the light grey shading doesnt work and the very small yellow circle for small towns and villages gets lost in the background.

Roads and Railways are fine and Third Class Roads while not really necessary don't spoil the chart.

The Rivers should stand out more and again a lot of them are lost in the background.

I would prefer to see the layout of Airport and Airfield runways as opposed to the symbol that is used.

There are no VOR roses on the chart nor Lower ATS Routes and Reporting points as on the 1:500 000 chart , would like to see these in the next version.

Overall it's a good chart but needs to be refined some more for aviation needs.
Wright Brothers.Aviation Pioneers: Orville (1871-1948) born in Dayton ,OH and Wilbur(1867-1912)born near Millville,IN. They were the First to Fly in a powered heavier-than-air-machine ,17th Dec 1903 at Kitty Hawk ,NC.

michael747
Verified User
Verified User

Post by michael747 »

I'm not gonna use the chart anyway - Just dont like the look of any of it, The old one will do me just fine :D :D
Last edited by michael747 on Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
M747
:D

StephenM
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by StephenM »

michael747 wrote:I'm not gonna use the map anyway - Just dont like the look of any of it, The old one will do me just fine :D :D

And do Aer Lingus use AIRAC cycles from 2004? ;)

I got both laminated and non-laminated in the post today. Slightly cheaper than expected (Only by a few cents) they do seem quite large, so map folding will have to be done in advance of getting in the cockpit I think!

Pilot
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Pilot »

I wonder when the 500K one will be out?

buzz
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by buzz »

The old chart (not map) is 6 years old and doesn't reflect the current airspace changes not to mention new airfields and the larger size towns etc. It would be foolish not to invest in the new one, irresponsible even.

I got a set and can't see what the fuss is about. I will be using them. So will any sensible pilot. The price is immaterial, peanuts in fact.

I do agree with some of the criticism. The grey of the towns doesn't work. It looks out of focus. But I think the lack of VOR's or ATS routes isn't important. Besides they will appear on the 1,500,000 chart when it comes out. The 1,250,000 is really for low level VFR flying. It will be tougher to get lost now.

Pilot
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Pilot »

The old chart (not map) is 6 years old and doesn't reflect the current airspace changes not to mention new airfields and the larger size towns etc. It would be foolish not to invest in the new one, irresponsible even.

Sorry Buzz, but I don't agree.

The aircraft that I fly does 120kts. On a typical 1 hour flight across Ireland, I could use three of the 4 charts. That involves an awful lot of folding and unfolding, reversing charts and refolding. Not the easiest thing in the world in a small cockpit environment.

These charts aren't for me, and I won't be getting them.

I'm waiting for the 500k scale ones which were due to be published at the same time as the 250k ones, so they can't be that far away now.

As for airspace, people have different options. They may be using a Jepp chart showing the airspace changes, or even a CAA Northern England shows all the relevant Irish airspace changes (except the recent R16). They could even be using a gps with an uptodate database.

In the real scheme of things there hasn't been very much airspace changes, which is why the IAA got away with no chart update since 2002. The biggest of these has been the change of the Dublin Zone & CTA around Weston, and this is all available on the AIP Dublin Approach chart. Carry that, and you are almost there.

P

CVR
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by CVR »

Its going to be fun opening and folding charts again and again, and still manage to fly a Helicopter :?
FLY SAFE AND ENJOY

Donall
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Donall »

Has anyone been able to find the charts on irishmaps.ie?

Nanolight
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Nanolight »

I think you need to ring them.

Anyone I talk to abou these just says that they are going to stick with the old charts. Does this make the entire thing a waste of time and money :?

What are ye'er thoughts? Going to change?
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

tiny
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by tiny »

Just checking, but if you get ramp checked by the IAA & have either the old 2002 IAA charts or the 2007 Jep Charts, It that an infringement?? or do the charts not go out of date??

Thanks

Tiny

Pilot
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Pilot »

I've had a look at the IRISH AVIATION AUTHORITY (OPERATIONS) ORDER, 2006, and the most relevant paragraph I can find is this.

S52 (5)(c) The following instruments and equipment, which may be of any type suitable for the purpose, shall be securely installed or stowed in a manner which will not prevent their most effective use when required and will ensure that they cannot be displaced during flight in such a way as to interfere with the safe operation of the aircraft:
(i) navigational and plotting instruments necessary for a particular flight as
determined by the pilot- in-command,
(ii) maps, charts, timepieces and chart tables,
(iii) sea anchors,
(iv) torches,
(v) whistles, and
(vi) mooring devices, or anchoring devices;

You would have no problem whatsoever with an uptodate Jepp chart. I believe that you would have no porblems with the current IAA 500K chart if you knew the changes for the area relevant to your flight. After all if you attempt to buy a 500K chart from the IAA this is still the one that you are going to get!

I have to say that that paragraph makes me wonder why I'm not carrying sea anchors, torches, whistles and mooring devices!

jonkil
Verified User
Verified User

Post by jonkil »

Saw the 1:250,000 chart for the first time yesterday on a visit to Kilkenny.
Looks OK, lots of folding to do on a trip from Donegal down... I find the 1:500,000 chart absolutely fine for Irish flying. I will get the new 1/2 mil chart when it eventually gets issued but until then chart cica 2004 will do.... oooh and did no one tell the map guys that Donegal is still part of EIRE, they seem to have not bothered putting it on the chart..... then we are in bandit country up here :roll: ...LOL