AIRSPACE CHANGE PROPOSAL ? RESTRICTED AREA 16 (EIR-16)

This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

ceatach
Verified User
Verified User

AIRSPACE CHANGE PROPOSAL ? RESTRICTED AREA 16 (EIR-16)

Post by ceatach »

How will this impact operations at Clonbullogue?

The Irish Aviation Authority, as the statutory body responsible for airspace design, has received an Airspace
Change Proposal from the Irish Air Corps.
The proposal is that the sector of airspace of the R16 that currently has a base of 4500 feet and is referred to
as G in the map provided for illustartion purposes on page 13 of SI 140 of 2002 (Designated Areas) be
devided in two. Further that the base of the area North of a line coordinates 53 08 15.26 N 006 56 11.24 W
to 53 03 22.32 N 007 10 39.59 W be lowered to 2500 feet. The area to the South of the line to remain at
4500 feet.
Any persons who would like to make a submission or comment in relation to the proposal should, by 25th
October 2007, email their replies to OSD@IAA.ie or send by post to
Head of Aerodromes and Airspace Standards Department,
Irish Aviation Authority,
Aviation House,
Hawkins Street,
Dublin 2

GoGoGadgetGoAround
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by GoGoGadgetGoAround »

They jump from around 13,000ft anyway. I know they also do a lot of static line jumps at 3,200ft aswell so it'll probably mean a lot more hassel and restriction on the static line jumps.

Do you know what procedures are in place for calling in jumps? do they just radio into Baldonnel & Shannon before a jump? Just 13,000ft or both?
Engine Failure: A condition which occurs when all fuel tanks mysteriously become filled with air

ceatach
Verified User
Verified User

Post by ceatach »

No, Im not sure. Does anyone know -why- the air corps need this extra space?

GJOYT
Verified User
Verified User

Post by GJOYT »

Yea, with the handful of aircraft why??? I heard from an Air Corps pilot at the interviews this year that they plan on taking a load of airspace for themselves all around west Mayo? :?

mr crow
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by mr crow »

Last edited by mr crow on Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GoGoGadgetGoAround
Unverified User
Unverified User

Just an observation, are they annoyed with the skydiving in Clonbullogue?

If they brought it down to 2500ft knowing that static line jumps won't be done from this height and radio calls weren't required previously then this would give them more control over the area. In saying that I believe most of their flying is during office hours! and skydiving is carried out on weekends!

If they were happy with the skydiving then why restrict their airspace, why wouldn't they reverse it and decrease the south area to 2500ft?
Engine Failure: A condition which occurs when all fuel tanks mysteriously become filled with air

shrtfld
Verified User
Verified User

Post by shrtfld »

Several times when I have transited the midlands going to Weston or Kilrush I have heard the paras advising Dublin when they were going high. So they do communicate with ATC on a need to basis. It just means they will be talking to Bal more frequently too.

Anyway Clon is busiest at weekends whereas intense Aer Corps training is normally on weekdays during "office" hours. Therefore conflict could be minimal enough.
Shrtfld

Warthog
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Warthog »

mr crow wrote:Let's hope they dont pick up a few F16's.

What a stupid statement to make, they obviously have a good reason for doing so.

GoGoGadgetGoAround
Unverified User
Unverified User

Warthog wrote:
mr crow wrote:Let's hope they dont pick up a few F16's.

What a stupid statement to make, they obviously have a good reason for doing so.

That's a bit harsh warthog, sounds like mr crow was just having a laugh.

Warthog
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Warthog »

Well it should be taken seriously as it is talk of the Airspace Change Proposal of a Military Area.

Bigwillie
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Bigwillie »

I wouldn't imagine the proposed airspace change has anything to do with the Air Corps wanting to restrict parachute operations at Clonbullogue or to take-up more airspace for the sake of it as has been suggested!

I would guess that it has something to do with enhancing 'protection' and co-ordination of IFR traffic and procedures during instrument arrivals to Baldonnel, Weston and Dublin, especially since the introduction of the new I/F procedures at Weston and the increasing volume of traffic using Dublin on a daily basis.

Clonbullogue make radio contact with either Baldonnel or Dublin ATC (depending on whether R16 is active or not) prior to climbing into controlled airspace, the base of which is presently at 4500ft.

If the R16 is reduced to 2500ft in this area, the only time a climb out of Clonbullogue will experience any delays is if there is an instrument approach in progress in this area. I'm sure these instances will be relatively few and far between.

Given that Clonbullogue is primarily a weekend operation, I cannot see this having any adverse effects on their operations.

GoGoGadgetGoAround
Unverified User
Unverified User

Warthog wrote:Well it should be taken seriously as it is talk of the Airspace Change Proposal of a Military Area.

Don't worry, I've gathered your taking this very seriously.

Pilot
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Pilot »

I hate to see new airspace restrictions, but I have to admit that if anyone was to have additional airspace, the one that would concern me least is Baldonnel. I have yet to be refused a transit (or been significantly rerouted) to any airspace controlled by Baldonnel. They are always very helpful.

Without having seen the proposal, is there a reason given for the requested additional airspace?

P

mr crow
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by mr crow »

Last edited by mr crow on Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oldvolvotincan
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by oldvolvotincan »

This proposal is Specifically for protection of the VOR-C approach into Weston. The VOR-B approach when runway 10 is active at Dublin is a nightmare and delays fare paying Joe Bloggs just to allow Mr/Mrs Richpants to fly there private aircraft into Weston.