Importing Aircraft
  • Bluebeard
    Verified User
    Verified User
    Posts: 77
    Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2004 9:51 am

    by Bluebeard » Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:07 am

    Bald Eagle:
    "Bluebeard, your FAA PPL which is an ICAO licence only entitles you to fly ICAO Certified aircraft."

    Let me see how I could put this diplomatically. The proposition that 23,000 homebuilt aircraft in the USA are being flown illegally with FAA licences is absurd. Let BE go off and do his own researches. And the ICAO doesn't certify aircraft.
  • Mark H
    Verified User
    Verified User
    Posts: 35
    Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2005 12:00 pm
    Location: Dublin

    These Issues

    by Mark H » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:44 pm

    Sorry I haven't gotten back about this. But I have been away for a while. Getting back to the subject, If you have a british licence I understand that you can fly a German registered version of the same aircraft. There is a school in Spain that is recognised by the BMAA using one. But if I bought one and brought it over here would I be able to use the extra weight that it gives. This is relevant. I know that I really like the idea of a BRS system, and the current weight restrictions are already close for me, as I am 6ft 2" 450kg vs 475kg. Each extra Kilo helps.
    Unverified User
    Unverified User
    Posts: 1
    Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:53 pm
    Location: Edinburgh

    Importation of Foreign registered microlights.

    by FERRYAIR » Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:23 am

    I am currently involved in the importation of a Foreign registered VLA which has been acquired by a customer from Eire and specialise in the importation of such ULM/Microlights, before you all go running off into Europe the opportunities are not that easy, but are attainable !!

    There are certain procedures that have to be complied with and knowing the right procedures is key to having a hassle free transfer onto the EI register.

    I am not at liberty to say what type I am importing at this time, but will update when the delivery is completed.

    Germany is relatively hard to transfer from and Switzerland is virtually impossible !!!

    France & Italy are the most straightforward ones at the moment, Importing from Europe to the UK is the part I am working hardest on and at this exact time it is a struggle, but still attainable.
    Peter Kelsey

    Owner of G-BHJK & G-MWOK
  • chap20277
    Verified User
    Verified User
    Posts: 27
    Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:48 am

    Importation of Foreign registered microlights.

    by chap20277 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:54 pm

    To verify the 475kg vs 450kg issues, 450kg is the MAUW allowable for a microlight aircraft. The 475kg class is to allow for the installation of the BRS sytem which to the best of my knowledge hasn't been approved by the IAA on microlight aircraft (not 100% on this). However from prior dealings with both the NMAI and IAA on certifing non-section S microlight aircraft they are both extremely helpful and as you look into this further you will see that the bigger problems will be with your license validation, if needed, instead of the aircraft certification process.
    Anyway, best of luck and hope you get flying soon
  • stovepipe
    Verified User
    Verified User
    Posts: 551
    Joined: Fri May 28, 2004 9:54 am
    Location: Ireland

    by stovepipe » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:43 am

    Hi there
    The main priority of anyone importing any aircraft is to have every shred of paper relating to that aircraft, such as deregistration cert from outgoing Authority, current manuals (engine/airframe/prop/equipment...the IAA, like every other Authority, will want a copy of all relevant manuals for their library),existing certification such as C of A for export or Permit, Radio license (if applicable), VAT cert( if applicable), any Supplemental Type certificates(the IAA may not approve mods acceptable in other States), the code(such as FAR-23 or JAR-VLA) under which the aircraft was built and any other document that the IAA might feel like asking for.Be prepared to give them ANY piece of paper they ask for.Also, most importantly, be prepared to wait.It takes time to get a new type accepted thru the NMAI or SAAC.My experience is that it can take the better part of a year and longer is not unknown.
    I see the NMAI are charging a grand for what I used to do, for them, for free.Guess I didn't charge enough....

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests