This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

aidanmurphy
Unverified User
Unverified User

Have your own LIVE & LOCAL ATC system at home

Post by aidanmurphy » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:24 am

Hi All,

I just recently took delivery of the new MODE-S tracking facility from Air Nav Systems. It is similar to the SBS-1 system from Kinetic.

It's called a 'Radar Box' and comes from Air Nav systems in the U.S, but is actually engineered by Primetec in Portugal.

In essence, the AirNav RadarBox is the closest you can be to real world aviation without leaving your chair thanks to next generation Radar decoding.

By decoding ADS-B (Automatic Dependent Surveillance Broadcast) radar signals, I can see on my PC, what real Air Traffic Controllers see on their screens in Real-Time. Flight number, aircraft type, altitude, heading, speed are all updated each second.

The sysems also downloads (instantly) an actual thumbnail of the aircraft been currently tracked, it apparently gets this from Airliners.net !!!

The other clever bit is that the RADAR BOX back-feeds it's reception via the net to other Radarbox users around the world, so you get to see their airspace and they get to see your's.

The system also displays the various logos from each airline as it tracks each aircraft, irrespective of it being LOCAL or NETWORK based.

Currently I can track flights here in Ireland, the UK and central Europe. The system was officially launched on July 1st last. I managed to pick mine up a week early at an EXPO in Germany.

I have attached a LINK TO ONE OF MY SCREEN SHOTS for ya'll, so you can 'see' what I mean, if you see what I mean !!!

PS: The system comes supplied with an indoor antenna (which is what I am currently using with excellent results), but I do plan to put up an ouside 1029Mhz antenna very soon.

Best Regards,

Aidan.

http://myhome.iolfree.ie/~ei5hw/balloonteam/airnav1.gif

ryr448l
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by ryr448l » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:59 am

Very impressive Aidan 8)

Pilot
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Pilot » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:22 pm

What was the cost?

aidanmurphy
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by aidanmurphy » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:24 pm

Cost is ?690 incl. At the time of launch it was already under cutting the cost of the older Kinetic SBS-1 system.

A.

angelshigh
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by angelshigh » Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:05 pm

Hi Aidan

Do you have an web link to one so I can get a look at it.

Thanks

AH
Nothing is impossible to he who doesn't have to do it.

aidanmurphy
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by aidanmurphy » Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:36 pm

Hi,

Unfortunateky it is not on the w.w.w.

The web is only used to port the traffic from one radarbox to the other.

The screenshot you see is from the actual software application on my own p.c , not from a web browser.

I hope that answers your query.

Aidan.