Pilot pleads temporary blindness in Dublin near-miss

This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

incisor
Unverified User
Unverified User

Pilot pleads temporary blindness in Dublin near-miss

Post by incisor »

The pilot of a light aircraft accused of negligent airmanship today pleaded temporary blinding due to new high intensity white strobes on the Pigeon House chimneys. "They used to glow a dull red, and so didn't really affect your night vision, but these new ones are very intense, in fact blindingly so", she told a reporter today. Ringsend residents have reported a midnight sun in the sky over past nights, which technologists have put down to the new strobes. Ships navigating from Hollyhead overnight have said that they can now see Dublin port from the middle of the Irish Sea, greatly easing navigation. Meanwhile, pilots of jets on approach to runway 34 have been warned to don their sun-glasses as they approach in darkness for fear of a recurrence of the event.

In related news, it would appear that the electicity bill for the Three Rock mountain mast lights may be outstanding, as this mast has languished in darkness over past weeks. Insiders suggest that this area is also being prepared for a new set of flashy white arc lamps. 8)

martinc
Unverified User
Unverified User

Lights in the dublin sky

Post by martinc »

The other night I saw what I thought was lightening - then I noticed it was very uniform lightening!!

I knew at that point it must have been a strobe and thought maybe the Garda copter was hovering somewhere.

Eventually I copped that it was the new stobes on the chimneys - God theyre bright! :lol:
Last edited by martinc on Sat Aug 07, 2004 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
/\/\artin C.

Clrd2Land
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Clrd2Land »

Yeah, there're pretty bright alright. They can be seen clearly from the Dublin mountains, the old ones were just a dull glow that were hard to see with the lights of Dublin in the background.

XPIH
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by XPIH »

Yes, they're bright alright. I could see the flash clearly from Bray today in bright daylight. However, having seen them from up close at night too talk of 'midnight sun' seems a bit over the top. But I just wonder what the effect is in foggy conditions, given that its common switch off aircraft strobes when in cloud to avoid blinding reflection effects.

Whatever about the old, dull, steady Pigeon Hs anti-col lights, the flashing red lights on the chimney stacks just to the east appear sufficiently bright as do the Three Rock Mt lights (which were definitely on this week!). Why the change to these bright white strobes? I presume there is some sort of standard for these things? Also, they seem to be mounted on the western chimney only. Odd?
Cormac

martinc
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by martinc »

The stobe lights are still causing controversy, is it really an IAA standard that they should be so bright??

An ESB spokesman told The Northside People that the original lights at Poolbeg were almost 35 years old and that they were no longer able to source spare parts and replacements.

He added that the chimneys in Poolbeg are 680 feet in height and are on the flight path for one of the runways at Dublin Airport.

?As a result, the chimney lights have to comply with the latest lighting standards as directed by the Irish Aviation Authority,? he explained. ?These standards are set by the Irish Aviation Authority to ensure the safety of airline passengers and the public.?

Source: http://www.northsidepeople.ie/index.php ... le&sid=594
/\/\artin C.

incisor
Unverified User
Unverified User

"Lights down"!!

Post by incisor »

Further scientific studies have ascertained that the intensity of the Pigeon House strobes is high during daylight hours, and now significantly reduced at dusk, by about half, to more closely match that of the newly switched on red lights of the adjacent chimnies. The remarkable "lights down" event may be observed at about 8.45pm these days (for those who have a sad life!!) :)

NATCA FWA
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by NATCA FWA »

Looks like they need to do is install red strobes for at night, another problem with white strobes at night is that they tend to draw your attention thus some pilots will fly toward (at) them. Here in the USA many of the white strobes switch to red strobes at night.

Mike
Mike
NATCA HSV

Biggles
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Biggles »

I would have thought that if the lights were installed for reasons of aviation safety that the lights would be coloured Red so as not to affect a pilots night vision !

incisor
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by incisor »

Overseas Correspondent, 2230EST??..Reports are coming in that the Pigeon House chimney strobes have reproduced. The birth of the second set of strobes on the second chimney happened mysteriously overnight, and both sets are now doing well, flashing in timed sequence. The world of Irish aviation lives in hope. 8)

Chaos
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Chaos »

Now we know the real reason why the ESB are charging a further 9% increase - it's to cover the additional cost of the LUAS trams and the new disco strobs at Ringsend! During hours of darkness and especially if its misty and overcast the flash through low cloud is massive. They should switch to red at night and leave white for day.

C152
Verified User
Verified User

Post by C152 »

Has anyone noticed the lights are not as bright as they where :shock: