ILS Calibration

This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

alphaLaura
Verified User
Verified User

ILS Calibration

Post by alphaLaura » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:14 am

Every few months the ILS calibrators come and test the ILS and VOR in Cork airport. It happened a few days ago, and unfortunately, ATC limited all GA circuit activity and allowed a couple of aircraft out to the training area. But on the second day, while the calibrators were testing the VOR, ATC stopped all aircraft that came from SouthAer / Atlantic / Bluestar. Should these calibration days be NOTAM-ed? There was nothing published about this even though I would consider that a fairly significant disruption to normal GA flying.

GJOYT
Verified User
Verified User

Post by GJOYT » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:44 pm

Why is GA disrupted? Is commercial disrupted? How can this disrupt GA, is this not carried out by engineers on the ground??..

900EX
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by 900EX » Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:54 pm

Sounds like a complete joke to me.... God help them is they were ever 'busy' like some airports in the world. In fact non-radio aircraft are common in much busier airports than Cork in hundreds of airports worldwide.

I wasn?t aware that ILS & VOR transmitting equipment were mandatory for VFR flight. I believe you could question ATC on the legitimacy of such a blanket ruling to G.A.

Unacceptable to you guys arriving to fly after travelling in vain.
Celer fuga....

Cosmic
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Cosmic » Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:18 am

There is an aircraft that calibrates the ILS and other Navaids every so often, Callsign "calibrator". It has to fly multiple approaches to do this. I am only familiar with the one in the US I saw which was a King Air, but they did it at night time to avoid disruption. I guess in Cork they had to do it during daytime for whatever reason, and due to the repetitive landings available slots were reduced.

Further reading:

http://www.airwaysmuseum.com/Flying%20U ... 201990.htm

http://www.airwaysmuseum.com/DC3%20ILS% ... ration.htm
We who fly do so for the love of flying. We are alive in the air with this miracle that lies in our hands and beneath our feet.

— Cecil Day Lewis

alphaLaura
Verified User
Verified User

Post by alphaLaura » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:35 am

G-JOYT - As Cosmic said, there's an aircraft which flies approaches using the ILS to make sure it's working and transmitting the way it's supposed to. As far as I am ware, no commercial traffic was affected - I saw a number of Ryanair flights and Aer Arann fights land while the calibrator was doing his job.

I really can understand the need for stopping GA circuits - and, to an extent, I understand ATC's need to prevent too many aircraft in the training area. What bugs me is that, just like the road work that carries on around Ireland, it's done during the busiest hours of the day! If it was done at night, it would benefit the flight schools, ATC stress levels AND the calibration pilots would probably get overtime.

Why isn't it NOTAMed?

OW wright
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by OW wright » Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:06 pm

Wright Brothers.Aviation Pioneers: Orville (1871-1948) born in Dayton ,OH and Wilbur(1867-1912)born near Millville,IN. They were the First to Fly in a powered heavier-than-air-machine ,17th Dec 1903 at Kitty Hawk ,NC.

Yahweh
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Yahweh » Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:31 pm

The Reason its not done at night in Cork or Shannon Airports is due to expense. It Costs more to do it at night. And I can completely understand why GA traffic is stopped to accomodate it.

GJOYT
Verified User
Verified User

Post by GJOYT » Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:08 pm

Why does it cost more to take place at night??..

alphaLaura
Verified User
Verified User

Post by alphaLaura » Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:17 pm

And I can completely understand why GA traffic is stopped to accomodate it.

But, why? Like I said, I understand why GA a/c are permitted from using the circuit - but why stop training area aircraft, or why stop aircraft that want to go beyond the zone into the G airspace to do some nav or whatever else?

GJOYT
Verified User
Verified User

Post by GJOYT » Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:27 pm

Maybe if they are flying at low altitudes around the zone boundry and stuff testing the VOR and NDB from all directions like I'm only guessing??? :?:

900EX
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by 900EX » Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:29 pm

AL.. Clearly ATC differentiates between a 'GA' citation and a 'GA' PA28.

Totally unacceptable behaviour. I have seen those king airs doing their work and in reality it is no different to any other aircraft doing practice approaches and being vectored as required.

One hopes ATC doesnt start behaving like airport security and start going on power trips with the guys and girls paying E150 per hour for the privilage of flying !
Celer fuga....

GJOYT
Verified User
Verified User

Post by GJOYT » Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:35 pm

If my aviation career doesnt turn out successful I hope to be a controller but I promise I would be a nice one to GA. Like in Cork it has to be an easy job like a piece of cake compared to the likes of JFK!!

Flyer1
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Flyer1 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:11 pm

The same crowd do the ILS calibrations here in Waterford, and i've not seen the ATC stop any GA traffic yet. I'll give the boys here their due, they're very helpful, and are always accomodating. Keep up the good work lads !

VNAV PTH
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by VNAV PTH » Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:29 pm

G-JOYT wrote: Like in Cork it has to be an easy job like a piece of cake compared to the likes of JFK!!

I'd love to send the ATC'ers of DUB and SNN off to JFK or ORD for the day! The look of shock on their faces would be priceless!
Screw you guys.....I`m going home.......

alphaLaura
Verified User
Verified User

Post by alphaLaura » Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:22 pm

Just want to make it clear - Im not giving out about EICK ATC. They are all great controllers, and certainly when Im up flying they've all been extremely helpful, accomodating, and light-hearted when needed! I'm just wondering two things: (a) Why aren't the calibrating days NOTAMed? and (b) (Like Ive already asked) Why the need to stop GA traffic movements from the club area?
Maybe Im just missing what the actual ILS and VOR testing involves?