Whats in a name
  • FLYbyWIT
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

Whats in a name

by FLYbyWIT » Tue Aug 03, 2004 9:44 pm

I am just reading "Green is my sky" at the moment (great book) and I came across the name of the first pilot for Aer Lingus- Capt O.E Armstrong and it got me thinking???? O.E , Did his initials have any bearings on the OE ndb on the 10 approach to DUB, I thought maybe as there is OP on the 28 threshold then it was probably O standing for the outer marker and consequently approach ndb but then plenty of outer markers have different initials and not just O's???? Then I thought a little more, the likes of Killiney'd ndb and DUB vor are obviously named but Dublin SID's like Vatry/Gelki/Kepo etc and holds like Rokna and Dinil and various routes have seemingly strange names. Do their names have any significance to ground features or history or what. I am guessing its the IAA's job to name them or does this come under some other organisations responsibilities or is all in accordance with PANS OPS???? Any idea's
  • XPIH
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by XPIH » Sat Aug 07, 2004 4:32 am

The VATRY, LIFFY, BOYNE and TOLKA fixes off the east coast on the border of the Irish-London FIR are named after the rivers Vartry, Liffey, Boyne and Tolka which all flow into the Irish Sea. The Vartry one is stretching credability a bit as its much further south than the river's mouth which flows out through Wicklow town. The Vatry SID though does pass over this point, more or less.

This is all my personal theory but it seems to fit the facts.

The other SIDs are also named after the navaid/fix that they terminate at, though how some of the other fixes got their names I couldn't guess.

I think just about every five letter word (including ones that will amuse children of all ages) is used for a fix code somewhere in the world and there's many duplicates.
    Cormac
    hum
    Verified User
    Verified User

by hum » Sat Aug 07, 2004 9:33 am

I wonder what the point 'GINIS' is named after? :lol: