Gormanstown

This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

balbriggancc
Unverified User
Unverified User

Gormanstown

Post by balbriggancc »

Hi I'm just wondering if anyone has any info, pics etc of Gormanstown Aerodrome, I've been browsing around the net looking for some info but there ain't much.

I flew models up there a few years ago and was impressed with the size of the runway, it seems a shame its going to waste, it is an ideal location for a new GA field, I heard rumours that they are going to build houses on this land. I would be very disappointed to see this happen.

Has anyone ever approached the Air corps about basing private aircraft there??

Any info would be greatly appriciated....

CC
Last edited by balbriggancc on Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

EIDEL
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by EIDEL »

Sunday mornings the modellers are up , Runway is perfect . But sorry to say its going to become Legoland unless enough people lobby for a flying club. Take a wander round there and see if you can get talking to the commandant . The Garda chopper uses it quite a bit but no fixwing there for years now. By the way I just love your typo **Air Corpse**

balbriggancc
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by balbriggancc »

Ok ok, time to edit. :?

Yep it would be fantastic to see GA in Gormanstown. Would make A nice Base for a couple of Clubs in EIDW who may be moved on soon.....

Heliops
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Heliops »

I dont think you would get Gormo as a GA Port as its DF property and is where the Air Corps do live fire exercises on a regular basis.

OW wright
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by OW wright »

hello balbriggancc,

i think it may be illegal to take pics of millitary aerodromes, http://www.iaa.ie/safe_reg/aicpdfs/8-97.pdf .Mind you if there not put up on a website then who will know :wink: ?

regards O.W.
Wright Brothers.Aviation Pioneers: Orville (1871-1948) born in Dayton ,OH and Wilbur(1867-1912)born near Millville,IN. They were the First to Fly in a powered heavier-than-air-machine ,17th Dec 1903 at Kitty Hawk ,NC.

RV BLUE
Verified User
Verified User

Post by RV BLUE »

OW wright wrote:,

i think it may be illegal to take pics of millitary aerodromes, :wink: ?

regards O.W.

God, after reading that, one has to wonder, what on earth would be so "top secret" out yonder at the Don or Gormanstown. Maybe the IAF have some "stealth" managerie. Shhhhhh dont let on...... :roll: I wonder if Google Earth will get in trouble for takeing a satilite pic of the airfields...??

Fanstop
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Fanstop »

why would it be a crime to take a photo of gormanstown or casement? While on the point I cant see why they need to do live fire exercises at all. Just when will they need to exercise the skills acquired? What a waste of money?

hugoj_air
Verified User
Verified User

Post by hugoj_air »

Wasting public money?? The Greeks, the Romans and every
Goverment ever elected since then has done it. So why should
the Irish Goverment be any different. In fact they are masters
at it. Please note this is NOT a political statment, just a matter
of fact. So dont be surprised when any party in power manages
to squander public funds, although some may be "better" at it
than others.

Hugo.

OW wright
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by OW wright »

RV-BLUE wrote: God, after reading that, one has to wonder, what on earth would be so "top secret" out yonder at the Don or Gormanstown. Maybe the IAF have some "stealth" managerie. Shhhhhh dont let on...... :

I thought they kept all those stealth aircraft and drones out in Abbeyshrule :lol: :lol:
Wright Brothers.Aviation Pioneers: Orville (1871-1948) born in Dayton ,OH and Wilbur(1867-1912)born near Millville,IN. They were the First to Fly in a powered heavier-than-air-machine ,17th Dec 1903 at Kitty Hawk ,NC.

Nanolight
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Nanolight »

Oh not that again!
:lol:

In fairness, the entire Air Corpse is a waste of money. Google maps is fantastic for stuff like that. Probably low rez though.

You should check out the russian cosmodrome Baikonur. Facinating stuff.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

historical-avi-irl.i8.com
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by historical-avi-irl.i8.com »

Its a standardised restriction associated with Prisons, Department property, etc as far as I know, just as you have to have permission to get charts of military facilities. It isn't strictly inforced and you can clearly fly over facilities with the correct clearance, just dont dare publish or use anything in any formal document without permission.

On the submit of it being illegal, I think we all have a hell of alot of images out in BAL and even a few GOR that could be mistewed but are perfectly innocent, it isn't quite the same as in other countries where spotting leads you to prison for "Spying"! - always amusing in my opinion!

Anyway,
Apply to the department of defence for any documents, or pick up a copy oof flight sim X, somebody really clever included Gormanston in it, and it is pretty accurate to runways and navaids...

Regards,

historical-avi-irl.i8.com
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by historical-avi-irl.i8.com »

I thought they kept all those stealth aircraft and drones out in Abbeyshrule

Oh dear, the Abbeyshrule delusion is back, a friend of mine who works in the radio with me had to talk about Dawkins book on radio, after reading it he suggested it had a strange similarily with the ussual skulduggery talk of locals in Ireland who fear the Americans might be moving in, and talking over the world :D

OW wright
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by OW wright »

historical-avi-irl.i8.com wrote:
I thought they kept all those stealth aircraft and drones out in Abbeyshrule

historical-avi-irl.i8.com wrote: Oh dear, the Abbeyshrule delusion is back..........

eh ,i was joking you know :lol: :lol: :lol:

mind you if that's what the anti-war wacko's want to believe then why spoil the fun :lol: :lol: :lol: just keep winding them up . :D

Vmax
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Vmax »

Getting back on subject :D , I think Gormo as a GA airfied would have been dealt a serious blow with the appearence of that nice new shiney hotel built on the extended centre line of the hard runway to the west of the airfied.

balbriggancc
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by balbriggancc »

True it would be close, but it wouldn't be an obstruction, the Hotel is built on lower ground than the surrounding houses at Stamullen so it ain't much higher than them..