New aviation club for North co Dublin

This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

EIDEL
Unverified User
Unverified User

New aviation club for North co Dublin

Post by EIDEL » Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:37 am

Anyone interested in forming a club based in Nth co Dublin ?
The membership will be open to all who have an interest in aviation
Pilots
Model aircraft flyers/builders
Microlighters
Wannabees
Historical buffs
Good looking ladies/others in flying suits
Rich/poor
Flexwingers
Paragliders
AC builders
Mechs
Navs
Dismantlers
All welcome
Large field in mind maybe two ,so post away here and lets see if there are enough of us interested to get something off the ground for the craic

nosedive
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by nosedive » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:10 am

Would definitely be interested!
Would be well worth investigating if nothing else.....

Driving a 4 hour round trip to fly denies the opportunity to fly on nice evevings or gaps in the weather as well as taking up half a weekend and can be very tiresome.
Another broken undercarriage........

bean_ian
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by bean_ian » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:19 am

Yeah sounds good, id be interested too. Would the club be purchasing an aircraft? Or is it more of a general interest group?

conor_mc
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by conor_mc » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:22 pm

Absolutely, count me in too.

historical-avi-irl.i8.com
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by historical-avi-irl.i8.com » Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:56 pm

I'd Be Up For It Too!

Haha, can we have a Cessna please!

Biggles
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Biggles » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:56 pm

Yep, I'd be interested - I see there's a twin available in the Buy and Sell section too, now ain't that convenient !!

Dauphin_Army
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Dauphin_Army » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:26 am

Count me in too please...

Now what ?

EIDEL
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by EIDEL » Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:55 pm

Good there are seven of us .The Magnificient Seven, In other words the board members.
A couple of ?'s
As we are starting out fresh we need to agree on the orientation of the strip.(I have already got permission for heli's with ppr)
Whichever way TO. & L. will have to wait (for fixwing until the corn is cut)
so that means in the early stages we will be using stubble .
The field we can use is 1kt from the bus stop.1km from the M1
{There is another place but I have to get in touch with the owner}
If we can get this together there will be rent agri rates so it wont be much. Three hundred yards X 30 is only half an acre or thereabouts so a strip 1000 yds long is feasible.
We have 1400ft clear air under eidw atc and 1ml nth of flr boundary.
are you up for that
It will not be easy and no doubt will have a lot of fluff thrown at us from the IAA .
The general stuff we can work out here on the open forum .
Otherwise we can E-mail or use the pm.
Good to hear from you guys ..... there will be more at the door before long,,,

balbriggancc
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by balbriggancc » Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:08 am

Count me in too, I'll manage the new Field at Gormanstown.

Any Multi-millionaires on board???? :D

OW wright
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by OW wright » Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:01 pm

hello EI-DEL,

First of all ,well done on finding a field suitable for an airstrip and for finding a landowner willing to rent it for use as an airstrip, just a few questions.

1. Where is the field located ? what is access to the field like ?

2. What is the field like , i.e. is it level , hilly , on a slope, is it well drained or is it swamped during the winter ?

3. Are there any houses near the field , espeicially on the likely approach and take-off paths.

4. Is there plans to buy an aircraft ? if so what type ? Avgas or Jet A1 ?

5. Will the club just be a social club or a flying club as well ?

6. A 30m x 1000m airstrip covers an area of 30,000 m2 or 7.5 acres, how much per year would it cost to rent ?

7. If the club is to be a flying club then Maintenance is something that is going to have to be looked into , cost and location.

I would like to help setting the club up and the airfield but I think it's important to have a clear idea of what the club is , a social club or a social and flying club with it's own aircraft.

It might also be a good idea to get in contact with the people in Dublin ATC and work with them as an airfield that close to the Control boundary is likely to be in contact with Dublin ATC quite a lot. Better to have them on your side.

A new club and new airfield are a great idea but it needs careful planning.

regards

O.W.
Last edited by OW wright on Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wright Brothers.Aviation Pioneers: Orville (1871-1948) born in Dayton ,OH and Wilbur(1867-1912)born near Millville,IN. They were the First to Fly in a powered heavier-than-air-machine ,17th Dec 1903 at Kitty Hawk ,NC.

EIDEL
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by EIDEL » Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:06 am

Hi ow.
first I think i gave the designation for Weston (habit)when I mean Dublin airport.
I dont have time to reply to all your queries just now as Im up to my chockers in Nav studies.
I will get back to all your points and answer a frankly as discretion allows . After all we dont want to be robbed of our chances by BIGGGG business before we even get the chance to pace the ground.
All our neighbours are on board so to speak.
Many thanks for your very constructive interest
Del

historical-avi-irl.i8.com
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by historical-avi-irl.i8.com » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:09 pm

As A Follow Up To My Late Night Comment ( ;) )

I have links into the licensing dept in the IAA if it helps, they are very friendly at advising on issues addressed in their documents, and a meeting is easy enough to arrange. I suggest we do have a licensed field for insurance, etc. Also I volunteer my skills as a trading web designer to set up a flying club website (with costs, joking!) when the time comes about.

As far as set-up costs go, practically you are looking at getting a loan to purchase aircraft and some friendly interaction with someone who might consider later selling their land, but for the moment is happy to rent. Prox. to already established emergency services and amenities is also a good point to develop a plan around.

I can practically see the first club flight already if a strong enough team is behind it... as I said, webdesign is my field (snuggles off to warm surroundings).

Regards,

OW wright
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by OW wright » Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:32 pm

hello all,

I know this is getting ahead of the game but it raises some interesting questions.

Do you start off with something cheap but mechanically sound or do you think long term and go for something more expensive but, fuel wise ,more economic to run ?

historical-avi-irl.i8.com wrote:
Haha, can we have a Cessna please!

Why buy a gas guzzler, why not go for something more economic like a second hand Diamond DA40-TDI. Yes it probably would cost more to buy than a second hand Cessna 172 but the DA40 uses Jet A1 as opposed to the more expensive Avgas plus Jet A1 uses roughly up to 30 % less per hour than Avgas.

historical-avi-irl.i8.com wrote: As far as set-up costs go, practically you are looking at getting a loan to purchase aircraft.

How many people would you need to make this work ? 20 -30 people ? Will it be possible to get that many people to commit to a long term loan ?

Is it possible to buy an aircraft like a lease agreement on a new car where after a number of years in the asgreement you can return it without owing anything i.e. if the group disbands.

What are the different options when it comes to buying / leasing an aircraft ?

Most groups in Ireland fly second hand Cessna's, i'm not saying there's antything wrong with them i fly one myself, but would it be better in the long run to go for something more modern ?

regards,

O.W.
Wright Brothers.Aviation Pioneers: Orville (1871-1948) born in Dayton ,OH and Wilbur(1867-1912)born near Millville,IN. They were the First to Fly in a powered heavier-than-air-machine ,17th Dec 1903 at Kitty Hawk ,NC.

toddy
Unverified User
Unverified User

very interested

Post by toddy » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:37 pm

Very interested but would need to be different from Weston or Dub. I.e. modern aircraft / facilities.

Ireland is moving beyond accepting the spam can as "perfectly good"

toddy

K Byrne
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by K Byrne » Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:36 pm

Chappies,

Important you talk to the local County Council regarding planning permission before you go any further with the Airfield. I have seen lots of plans for Airfields and they fall on the planning side.

May i suggest you speak to C Rooney at Trevet before you go any further!! County Councils do tend to stick a movement restriction on new Airfields....once planning permission is granted of course.

KB[/b]