"Plane barely survives 20,000 feet freefall "

This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

Krusty
Unverified User
Unverified User

"Plane barely survives 20,000 feet freefall "

Post by Krusty » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:49 pm

Dunno how credible this story is, but the pictures speak for themselves !
:shock:

A change of shorts were in order after this one I'd imagine.
Tough as nails them Kingairs!

http://cellar.org/iotd.php?threadid=13497

"Whether they initiated a rapid descent or lost control and ended up in a steep dive is not known, as the two pilots have little recollection of the event, both fading in and out of consciousness until shortly before landing.

They took turns, unintentionally, waking up and blacking out and fighting to regain control of the aircraft. One pilot stated "I remember thinking we're in a spin and seeing that the airspeed was pegged beyond indicated. I thought, wow, we're going too fast, reached up and pulled the power to idle, then blacked out again."

According to the radar, they lost 20,000 feet in roughly a minute and a half.

Assume they were pretty much at terminal velocity headed straight down.

At 13,000 feet, (give or take), they started fighting to pull the aircraft out of a dive, it took both of them. The stress on the airframe must have been unreal, as you will see. From that point, parts started leaving the aircraft until landing.

They lost control of pitch and they went almost vertical again. It took both pilots pushing as hard as they could to get the aircraft to start descending. They regained some control around 7,000 feet and were close to cape where they diverted. It is fortunate that they did not have a tail stall as you will see, and I have no earthly idea how they controlled pitch. "

Flyer1
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Flyer1 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:30 pm

Fair play to the two lads. Doubt thats a King Air that'll be going back into the air anytime soon. Spars are reported to be bent.

900EX
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by 900EX » Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:37 pm

Cant help wondering if it was another case of hypoxia during cruise.

One thing for bloody sure... It reaffirms my belief that a KingAir is a mighty piece of kit. Doubt very much that any KingAir test pilot managed 20,000 feet in less than 2 minutes.

Rather have one of these than a VLJ.
Celer fuga....

Flyer1
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Flyer1 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:52 pm

Apparently the windscreen shattered or something along those lines. Agreed the King Air 200 is a mighty piece of kit. Still a PC12 fan though :D

buzz
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by buzz » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:56 pm

If you go to Weston there is or was a King Air parked out the back the looks normal enough. But apparently it suffered a similar fate and is bent as a Norton.

900EX
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by 900EX » Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:58 am

Sure, the PC-12 is probably one of the most versatile tools on the market. Amazing useful load and I love that big cargo door. Pricey but great for the right company.
Celer fuga....

Flyer1
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Flyer1 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:50 pm

They're developing a new model of the PC12, 900EX. More power, more useful load, greater speed, greater range, and a fully glass cockpit. Pilatus sure do seem to get it right with all their aircraft.

Cosmic
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Cosmic » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:08 pm

I read an article on this somwhere on the web. Seems they may have been the makers of their own downfall. The article alleged that the windscreen shattered, but did not break or depress, and the Pilots ignored appropriate checklists and decided to depressurise the plane to prevent a blowout of the windscreen. Only they were hypoxic and both passed out. The Plane went into a dive passed Vne and the Elevator was ripped off, there were pictures of huge wripples in the wings from similar forces.
We who fly do so for the love of flying. We are alive in the air with this miracle that lies in our hands and beneath our feet.

— Cecil Day Lewis

bean_ian
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by bean_ian » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:17 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWuPmGPBW8o

Video of the landing of the above incident