JAA PPL Questioni

This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

junglebob
Unverified User
Unverified User

JAA PPL Questioni

Post by junglebob » Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:56 pm

What regions can you fly to on a JAA issues PPL? Is it just Europe or where else can you fly to? This may be a stupid question but I'm just wondering if anyone has any info or experience with the issue?

Mark H
Verified User
Verified User

JAA Licence

Post by Mark H » Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:26 pm

see below OOPS!
Last edited by Mark H on Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mark H
Verified User
Verified User

JAA Licence

Post by Mark H » Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:29 pm

Because The JAA licence is ICAO approved, You should be able to fly just about anywhere in the world. It is necessary to check though because aviation is extraordinarily over regulated and there can be slight changes from one country to another. You will certainly be OK in any European country though.

michael747
Verified User
Verified User

Post by michael747 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:48 pm

Hey,

I know you can fly absolutly anywhere in the world in a European Registered Aircraft, but if your flying
outside of europe you need to be flying a European Registered Aircraft.
( You cant fly an American A/C) I'm Pretty sure thats 99% correct. I stand to be corrected though as i haven't been flying in a while....
Regards,
M747
:D

alphaLaura
Verified User
Verified User

Post by alphaLaura » Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:09 pm

I actually think there is also some loophole under FAA regulations that permits anybody with a JAA PPL to fly an N-reg aircraft...

Pilot
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Pilot » Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:39 pm

It's not a loop hole.

Most ICAO countries will recognise an ICAO licence from other countries for private, Day, VFR flight. (I think it may be an ICAO requirement that they recognise it, but I couldn't swear to it)

Some countries such as the US, require you to hold one of their licences, rather than simply allowing you to use your own. In the case of the USA, they verify the details of your licence and medical, and then issue you an FAA licence based on your JAA licence. No test or exams. You will need to do a BFR before flying on your FAA licence, the same as any other FAA licence holder must do.

p