OBA

This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

Cathal
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Cathal »

Fly down to Tamiami , go to falcon trust air. Nicest FBO in florida , If you can Fly back up along the East coast over the beaches.
I was told by the controllers from mami to palm beach to stay low alog the beach a few times...At or below 500' - very nice flight

CaptCream
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by CaptCream »

That sounds like a good plan. Hopefully there will be a nice few babes on the beach!!! :D

JFH
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by JFH »

q
Last edited by JFH on Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CaptCream
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by CaptCream »

Anyone out there ever fly the Liberty XL2?

N714GZ
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by N714GZ »

No but there were teething problems I believe.Beware the flap switches!

bean_ian
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by bean_ian »

Just back from OBA last week and after I left they had 3 seperate 'incidents' with the Liberties in the space of a week. One of them had a prop strike, another a tail strike and another the nose wheel collapsed!
Better off sticking with the Cessna's( although stay away from Golf Zulu aka GodZilla by the mechanics!!)

CaptCream
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by CaptCream »

Dosent sound good. I had booked the liberty out for 100hrs. Might change to the warrior after all!!! Thanks for the advice.

bean_ian
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by bean_ian »

Ah now in fairness a lot of that could be down to pilot error, more pilots are flying the liberties than cessna or warrior so the likelihood is that any accident is more then likely gonna be on the liberty.
They are a nice plane, bit tricky to land a few of the lads were saying but they are roomy and comfortable which would be a big plus if your over there to do 100 hours

N714GZ
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by N714GZ »

Ah GodZilla, my fisrt solo! Hence my username here..I remember those semi frosted side windows and the constnt left hand bank that left you with bigger biceps on your left arm from the required constant correction.
The Libertys are in no way more roomy than the 150's, and a hell of a lot harder to get in and out of! Sit on the front of the wing etc. Maybe a fine private two seater but they have shown they dont stand up to the student pilot punishment the Cessnas did. Give me Godzilla, Zulu Warrier,Delta Fox,Foxy Echo, 4J or Mike Hotel any day! Bean Ian, I think the point is that in porportion to the number of accidents per hour flown the Liberties are not as as mishap resistant as the good old Cessnas. I have no time myself on them but reports are not good from Ormond.(I did fly the 150's, Warrior and Seminole). When I return I will be booking some Warrior time.

junglebob
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by junglebob »

Hey what was your problem with godzilla? I flew godzilla for my whole stint over there bar a few times when the transponder broke, the alternator broke and the magnetos went weird and the turn co-ordinator never worked, even when they put a new one in it, but I did find it better than 37kilo which just didn't want to be a plane any more. It didn't have any climb or any response, I never tried delta fox but I heard that that was a good one.

N714GZ
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by N714GZ »

Poor old God Zilla had a bit of a mishap in its pre OBA days and the wing was bent. She just wants to turn left all the time. Nothing major, but Im surprised you didn't notice.
37Kilo with that horrible flap switch. Bitch for night flying. Climb was pretty poor now that I remember. Best for me was Fox Echo. It had nothing to do with it having strobes that made you feel like a real plane at night!!(I swear!)

bean_ian
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by bean_ian »

Nah Delta Fox was my favourite! Golf Zulu always had problems with either the radios or the spark plugs, 2 or 3 times I had to return from doing my run-up checks due to the sparks! And when I was doing my solo night flying the pilot side push-to-talk button went bust so every time I had to do a radio call i had to reach over to the co-pilots side!
They will all be sold on fairly soon, they are putting brand new engines in them and fresh annuals before he sells.