This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

N714GZ
Unverified User
Unverified User

You Must Be Joking

Post by N714GZ » Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:11 pm

Hello all and Happy New Year.

I have just had my Class 1 medical renewal.

This entailed a trip to the Aeromed Centre(Staff and Doctors excellent as usual).

In no particular order the renewal consists of:

*Provide urine sample
*Sit in the corner, cover each eye and read the chart.
*Take off shirt and the doctor checks breathing.
*Stand on the weighing scales
*Blood pressure.
*The famous cough test.

Simple as that. Fifteen minutes.

All for the Rip off Republic price of Eur 199 ???????????
Can someone tell a very irate pilot paying through the backside already for flight training, who sets this price and how the hell they get away with it?? Where is the representation for pilots to fight this sort exploitation?
Let me clarify that in no way is my gripe with the excellent staff of the Aeromed Section, I am merely questioning the administrators setting this ridiculous price.
:evil:

buzz
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by buzz » Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:32 pm

The cough test? Didn't need that at my last few renewals. Last time was with that nice lady doctor in the Blackrock clinic...............

As for the cost, well you live in Ireland for one and you are a rich pilot for another thus can afford the price. Or so it seems.

I was almost shocked at my most recent renewal that it only cost as 'little' as that. I think I paid over 400 pounds for my initial.

Have you been to a GP lately? It can cost 50 Euro just to turn up and renew your prescription. Hello, good day, good bye. That'll be 50 Euro please.

AndyMax
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by AndyMax » Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:03 pm

the IAA have recently dropped the prices for the Class 1. It used to be 604EURO for an initial, now its 579EURO. So Im guessing the renewal came down aswell.

Still a hell of alot of money for whats done to you.

N714GZ
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by N714GZ » Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:24 pm

Buzz surely the doc has instructed you to cough while inspecting a certain part of your anatomy!!
Andy I likewise paid 604 for the initial and my point would be how does something that does not include the ECG, Blood sample, Spirogram??, Chest X-RAY, Hearing test cost a full one third of the all inclusive medical. Surely all of the above are the expensive parts and the minor ten to fifteen minute physical I had does not equate to the money they are looking for. As for the medical coming down in price I was quoted Eur 170 when booking only to be told now that it is Eur 199.
As for being a "rich pilot" and before you scold me for not seeing the irony in your comment, would you like to know how many tens of thousands in debt I am because of my almost completed training. Not the IAA's fault I know but I do feel I'm justified in questioning the price of what is essentially nothing more than your GP would do in a standard check up.

alphaLaura
Verified User
Verified User

Post by alphaLaura » Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:15 pm

Um, that sounds very simplistic for a Class 1 medical - you sure it was Class 1? Or am I mistaken and is that all that is involved? I'm wondering because, the last I heard, the Class 1 costs about 600E as mentioned. But the Class 2 costs in and around 150E... Much closer to your 199E paid.

N714GZ
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by N714GZ » Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:01 pm

Hi Laura,

Its a Class 1 medical renewal. The initial Class 1 is the 600 Euro examination, certain aspects of which are valid for a number of years and do not require re-examination at the second/renewal medical. I have listed these in an earlier post.

alphaLaura
Verified User
Verified User

Post by alphaLaura » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:31 pm

Aha, my mistake. Sorry bout that!

buzz
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by buzz » Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:11 pm

Of course I am being ironic. I just think there is this attitude that because you fly you must have money thus can afford any old charges they dish out. The opposite of course is the case. I was in debt and overdrawn for years. It sounds like one of those cliched 'In my day, we were so poor' stories. But for years I had only one pair of shoes and only bought clothes once a year because I got Dunnes Stores vouchers as a Christmas bonus. The rest I spent on flying or paying back loans. :cry: :lol:

Most of my friends were in the same situation. Yet the myth still persists that we must have had lots of money.

Fortunately I have avoided the cough test for a while now :D

Cosmic
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Cosmic » Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:04 am

N714GZ I had very similar feelings as you. I decided that complaining about it was not very productive so I did something about it. If you shop around in Europe Class 1 renewals can be had for 50 Euro. You could combine your renewal with a weekend away or when/if in town on business. I get mine done in Milan, the renewals are conducted by the Italian military.
We who fly do so for the love of flying. We are alive in the air with this miracle that lies in our hands and beneath our feet.

— Cecil Day Lewis

mini
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by mini » Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:03 am

I get a general medical done annually, previous job required it and I've continued with it out of habit. GP prod & deep breath bit costs 50 eu, bloods are free through HSE, CXR is 40 eu at the local hospital.

This puts my mind at ease and as a bonus gets my motorsport and scuba medicals signed up at the same time.

Sounds like aero meds are subsidising some other part of the system...

N714GZ
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by N714GZ » Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:13 am

Cosmic, that sounds like something I'll be taking a look at for the next one! Thanks!

mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mark » Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:32 pm

Hi N714GZ,

You should write a letter to the FlyingInIreland Editor (editor at Flying In Ireland dot com), maybe then we can get the IAA to (try) justify the cost.
Regards,
Mark Dwyer
www.flyinginireland.com

------------------------------------------------
FlyingInIreland.com:- THE Resource for Irish Aviation Information

Nanolight
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Nanolight » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:44 pm

Would it make a difference though?

I mean, look at all the exposure Galway airport got and as far as I know, they are still ripping people off. Still, it would draw some attention to it I suppose....

Have GY justified their extortionate landing fee yet?
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

MAL
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by MAL » Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:48 pm

:shock: :x 600 euros for a medical :shock: :shock: :cry: Mine was only 60 euros for inital and I thought that was expensive (ofcourse it was done in south africa) :roll: :roll: Surely your able to claim off your medical aid? :? :?